Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,354 times

Advertisements

Has anyone actually seen how expensive it is to live in Austin, TX? Jesus Christ. Rent is actually cheaper in multiple locations across the Big Island. Has anyone ever been to Whole Foods? Central Market? Gas is consistently over $4 a gallon. It's over 100 degrees for hundreds of days in a row. Everything takes 30+ minutes to drive to. I'm looking at the items that everyone claims are so expensive as items I don't use. Granted electricity is expensive (as it is here - our bills have been well over $100 for a very modest apartment since October) but if you can factor that into a LIFESTYLE change, these things don't become as jarring. This move is about our quality of life. Hopefully we can meet the kind, optimistic, appreciative, and intelligent residents of such beautiful islands and avoid all the negative, aggressive, and closed minded residents that just want to jump to conclusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 03:23 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylG View Post
Has anyone actually seen how expensive it is to live in Austin, TX? Jesus Christ. Rent is actually cheaper in multiple locations across the Big Island. Has anyone ever been to Whole Foods? Central Market? Gas is consistently over $4 a gallon. It's over 100 degrees for hundreds of days in a row. Everything takes 30+ minutes to drive to. I'm looking at the items that everyone claims are so expensive as items I don't use. Granted electricity is expensive (as it is here - our bills have been well over $100 for a very modest apartment since October) but if you can factor that into a LIFESTYLE change, these things don't become as jarring. This move is about our quality of life. Hopefully we can meet the kind, optimistic, appreciative, and intelligent residents of such beautiful islands and avoid all the negative, aggressive, and closed minded residents that just want to jump to conclusions.
That's why I always recomend Quartzite, AZ for Crash-and-Burn typies. Cheaper, and easier to get back to wherever, when the flames go out.

But remember, bring Carmex, lots of Carmex.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:49 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,143,456 times
Gotta wonder where Quartzite AZ is. I have a sister in Kingman, couldn't possibly be worse could it?

Old 04-18-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Gotta wonder where Quartzite AZ is. I have a sister in Kingman, couldn't possibly be worse could it?
Quartzite is on I10 just across from Blythe. It offers cheap living, big skies and an easy escape route back to "whereever".

But remember, bring Carmex, lots of Carmex.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:33 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Aloha DarylG,

No worries, even if you meet the grumpy people here in real life, you'll find they aren't as grumpy as they seem. Face to face is a lot different than behind a keyboard.

And things can't be as expensive as they is made out to be, otherwise we wouldn't be able to afford to live here and yet we manage so it can't be that bad. However, if we moved to the mainland, we would have a lot higher level of lifestyle. But then my garden would die each year, so there's trade offs. Which is normal for just about everything.

Usually during the wintertime on the mainland, we get a lot of folks who just want to up and move to Hawaii. As long as they keep enough money for a return airline ticket and don't burn any bridges on the mainland to get here, I personally don't have a problem with folks just moving to Hawaii in search of rainbows, unicorns and dancing dolphins. Just as long as they don't get stuck here, things are all good, IMHO. Sometimes though they are nearby and terribly pitiful and we have to try and help them which is mostly a waste of time and effort. So, if we can weed out the hopeless among the hopefuls, it will save a lot of bother for someone when they are over here and crashing around.

Malama pono.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Aloha DarylG,

No worries, even if you meet the grumpy people here in real life, you'll find they aren't as grumpy as they seem. Face to face is a lot different than behind a keyboard.

And things can't be as expensive as they is made out to be, otherwise we wouldn't be able to afford to live here and yet we manage so it can't be that bad. However, if we moved to the mainland, we would have a lot higher level of lifestyle. But then my garden would die each year, so there's trade offs. Which is normal for just about everything.

Usually during the wintertime on the mainland, we get a lot of folks who just want to up and move to Hawaii. As long as they keep enough money for a return airline ticket and don't burn any bridges on the mainland to get here, I personally don't have a problem with folks just moving to Hawaii in search of rainbows, unicorns and dancing dolphins. Just as long as they don't get stuck here, things are all good, IMHO. Sometimes though they are nearby and terribly pitiful and we have to try and help them which is mostly a waste of time and effort. So, if we can weed out the hopeless among the hopefuls, it will save a lot of bother for someone when they are over here and crashing around.

Malama pono.
Very well said. Mahalo!!

Old 04-20-2013, 02:26 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
This move is about our quality of life
Aloha, Daryl. Are you the boyfriend who's a chef? When are you planning to make this move?

Quote:
I'm looking at the items that everyone claims are so expensive as items I don't use.
Then look at the items you DO use, and compare those to regular daily supermarket or drugstore prices, not to Whole Foods. It's important that you have a realistic idea what the costs are in Hawai'i so you can plan well and minimize your chances of crashing and burning. Life IS more expensive overall on the Big Island than in Austin, and wages are lower.

Government surveys show life in Hilo, for example, as being 34% more expensive on average than Austin, and Kailua-Kona is generally more expensive than Hilo. Everyday items at the supermarket or drugstore are maybe a quarter more here, maybe a dollar more there, not seeming like a whole lot per item but it all adds up when everything is more expensive. Bread and milk here are typically about double what you pay there. My advice? Skip the milk and cut down on the bread. Shopping at the farmers markets for fresh local produce and local fish are the only two items I can think of that are generally cheaper.

Checking GasBuddy today, I see regular gas in Austin at $3.15/gal, while in Kona it's $4.50. That's 43% higher. Propane bottle refills in Austin are $16-17, but in Hawai'i they're commonly $25, about the same markup.

Quote:
Granted electricity is expensive (as it is here - our bills have been well over $100 for a very modest apartment since October)
From what I can tell, your electricity in Austin, even with the recent rate increase costs 10 - 12 cents/kWh but on the Big Island it's 45 cents kWh, more than triple the rate. So to use the same amount of electricity in Hawai'i would have cost you something like $350. You may not use "electronics" much, which don't typically use a lot of energy anyway, but even just normal use of a refrigerator and a stove and a hot water heater and lights can run up a pretty big bill very quickly.

Quote:
but if you can factor that into a LIFESTYLE change, these things don't become as jarring.
True, but you do need to be aware of these things, and plan well for them. And as several of us have tried to say in various ways, running out of money before you can find a employment and get settled could be VERY jarring for you. And that warning is not about any of us jumping to conclusions, so much as it is about Raechul making it sound, over a series of posts, like you have very little money saved for this move. If that isn't accurate, feel free to correct the impression.

Quote:
Hopefully we can meet the kind, optimistic, appreciative, and intelligent residents of such beautiful islands and avoid all the negative, aggressive, and closed minded residents that just want to jump to conclusions.
I think you will, because I've found over the years that generally people who live in Hawai'i are friendly and warm and kind and helpful, as long as you meet them with the right attitude. A big friendly smile goes a long way to get you started right. Sure, I have a neighbor who seems to always seems to need more fiber in his diet, but in general people have been great, far more often than not.

And honestly, the negativity and hostility of a handful of the posters here is not something I have run into in real life. It seems to be a peculiarity of internet forums that a few individuals take advantage of the anonymity to be insulting and to mock and bully others in ways few do IRL. And I've noticed an additional oddity of the Hawai'i forums in particular, that a lot of people post advice and criticism about living in Hawai'i who are not actually residents themselves. So take it all with a grain of salt.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Old 04-20-2013, 04:13 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
And honestly, the negativity and hostility of a handful of the posters here is not something I have run into in real life. It seems to be a peculiarity of internet forums that a few individuals take advantage of the anonymity to be insulting and to mock and bully others in ways few do IRL. And I've noticed an additional oddity of the Hawai'i forums in particular, that a lot of people post advice and criticism about living in Hawai'i who are not actually residents themselves. So take it all with a grain of salt.
Well said.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Aloha, Daryl. Are you the boyfriend who's a chef? When are you planning to make this move?

Then look at the items you DO use, and compare those to regular daily supermarket or drugstore prices, not to Whole Foods. It's important that you have a realistic idea what the costs are in Hawai'i so you can plan well and minimize your chances of crashing and burning. Life IS more expensive overall on the Big Island than in Austin, and wages are lower.

Government surveys show life in Hilo, for example, as being 34% more expensive on average than Austin, and Kailua-Kona is generally more expensive than Hilo. Everyday items at the supermarket or drugstore are maybe a quarter more here, maybe a dollar more there, not seeming like a whole lot per item but it all adds up when everything is more expensive. Bread and milk here are typically about double what you pay there. My advice? Skip the milk and cut down on the bread. Shopping at the farmers markets for fresh local produce and local fish are the only two items I can think of that are generally cheaper.

Checking GasBuddy today, I see regular gas in Austin at $3.15/gal, while in Kona it's $4.50. That's 43% higher. Propane bottle refills in Austin are $16-17, but in Hawai'i they're commonly $25, about the same markup.

From what I can tell, your electricity in Austin, even with the recent rate increase costs 10 - 12 cents/kWh but on the Big Island it's 45 cents kWh, more than triple the rate. So to use the same amount of electricity in Hawai'i would have cost you something like $350. You may not use "electronics" much, which don't typically use a lot of energy anyway, but even just normal use of a refrigerator and a stove and a hot water heater and lights can run up a pretty big bill very quickly.

True, but you do need to be aware of these things, and plan well for them. And as several of us have tried to say in various ways, running out of money before you can find a employment and get settled could be VERY jarring for you. And that warning is not about any of us jumping to conclusions, so much as it is about Raechul making it sound, over a series of posts, like you have very little money saved for this move. If that isn't accurate, feel free to correct the impression.

I think you will, because I've found over the years that generally people who live in Hawai'i are friendly and warm and kind and helpful, as long as you meet them with the right attitude. A big friendly smile goes a long way to get you started right. Sure, I have a neighbor who seems to always seems to need more fiber in his diet, but in general people have been great, far more often than not.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck!
Yes, I seem to recall a guy who asked about digging a Basement on the BI and he was mocked about it. Told him that everyone would "talk story" about how odd it was. Imagine that. Everyone said it was impossible, if not stupid, but then an engineer came in and said that it isn't hard if you are up North.

Perhaps what goes around comes around.

However, I still stand by my initial advice that if the temporary and minor savings being realized bringing TP etc., from home, makes any substantive difference in finances, then there just isn't enough finances, and I would further offer that it is far better advice than "spices" or whatever. Bring cash, lots of cash and leave a reserve at home. The initial post mentioned "blowing all our money", so finances seemed the be thin from the get-go.

My perspective, I must admit, is more about protecting the BI from more people who come there on a shoestring and end up being a burden on the state. Hawaii is a special place, IMHO, and protecting it is more important that helping everyone with a temporary wanderlust who thinks manna falls from the sky there, and the living is "easy", i.e. "cheap". Also, the more people who go there looking for a job(s) just further depresses the wages by glutting the labor market long-time residents need to live their lives..

From my perspective, it is about Hawaii, not people with a temporary desire to move to paradise.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:34 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Yes, I seem to recall a guy who asked about digging a Basement on the BI and he was mocked about it.

Yes, that was a pretty funny one, wasn't it?

Ha'awi mai i maha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island