Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 01:22 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Personal opinion - it is a bit creepy to show specific houses going up in flames even if available on YouTube. It is someone's home even if local newspapers have a macabre sense of reporting. I've stayed out of this thread by design but I think that is a bit to much.

If it was your house you probably wouldn't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 01:30 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The NewsVultures have been waiting for this... there's a good chance the lava flow will take out its first residence today or tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Lava ignites first home in Pahoa - here we go...
So, there are vultures in Volcano.

Where's the Aloha OD?

Old 11-11-2014, 02:30 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Personal opinion - it is a bit creepy to show specific houses going up in flames even if available on YouTube. It is someone's home even if local newspapers have a macabre sense of reporting. I've stayed out of this thread by design but I think that is a bit to much.
That's why I have avoided the journalistic videos and photos about this development, posting only the non-sensationalist documentary coverage posted by Civil Defense and the Hawai'i Volcanoes Observatory. People all over the world are curious about what's happening, after such a long period of speculation and suspense, and it seems to me this is the most respectful way to inform them about what was, by its very nature, a public event.

From what I've heard the tenants and owners were philosophical about what was about to happen, and they were given the opportunity to watch what happened from the same vantage point as the County used to record the video.

What's missing from the Civil Defense video is the breathless commentary, the attempts to ask the people involved how they feel, the reaction shots of the people who watched it happen, and all the rest of the formulaic network attempt to manipulate the audience's emotions with amplified drama. To me that kind of stuff is very disrespectful, yes. But I don't think the simple, straight CD documentary is intrusive or disrespectful. It is, as Joe Friday used to put it "just the facts, ma'am."

Old 11-11-2014, 03:16 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:

I respectfully disagree. I think that here on the CD Forum more than anywhere, it is important to show people what could happen if you choose to buy in lava zone 1, 2 or 3. I am kinda surprised at your reaction Whtviper1 because you have been preaching for a long time now the importance at being brutally honest so that those that come here and want to move to Hawaii, know exactly what they are getting into. This video shows more than anything the chance people living in Puna are taking. Yes, property is cheaper in Puna but there is a very good reason for that.
That said, I truly hope those that lose their home during this lava flow have protected themselves and I hope the insurance companies don't try to weasel out of their responsibilities.

Last edited by McFrostyJ; 11-11-2014 at 03:29 AM..

Old 11-11-2014, 06:59 AM

575 posts, read 1,198,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I respectfully disagree. I think that here on the CD Forum more than anywhere, it is important to show people what could happen if you choose to buy in lava zone 1, 2 or 3. I am kinda surprised at your reaction Whtviper1 because you have been preaching for a long time now the importance at being brutally honest so that those that come here and want to move to Hawaii, know exactly what they are getting into. This video shows more than anything the chance people living in Puna are taking. Yes, property is cheaper in Puna but there is a very good reason for that.
That said, I truly hope those that lose their home during this lava flow have protected themselves and I hope the insurance companies don't try to weasel out of their responsibilities.

I, too, respectfully disagree. People everyone are sharing the emotions of the residents of Puna District. It's very important that others understand the devastation that lava can create. I think most tend to learn more visually. Many of us are praying for the residents, I see no disrespect in showing the photos and videos. I don't see any difference in displaying videos of lava devastation than those of hurricane or flooding? I guess a case could be made that this might help some have closure with this destructive part of their lives. Just my opinion.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:01 PM

Here's Tuesday's CD alert... I've been checking for it regulary for hours, but was fooled until now by the typo in the headline to believe that this was still yesterday's report. I think somebody must have been asleep at the keyboard, because there is also no reference to yesterday's housefire.

Maybe it was the same person who wrote the following sentence, which has been recycled over and over for weeks, to my daily bemusement: "Additional updates will be (sic) broadcasted as conditions change."

Quote:
Eruption Information Update For (sic) Monday, November 11th At 8:30AM

This is an eruption and lava flow Information Update for Tuesday November 11th at 8:00AM

This morning’s assessment shows that the flow front remains stalled with very little activity and has not advanced. The front remains approximately 480 feet from the Pahoa Village Road.

Three active breakouts continue to advance and be monitored. These breakouts are located in the area of the cemetery below Apa’a Street, above Apa’a Street in the area west or upslope of the transfer station, and .4 miles upslope of Apa’a Street. These breakouts currently do not pose an immediate threat to area residents and will be monitored closely.

Smoke conditions are currently moderate to heavy with light trade winds blowing the smoke in a south southwest direction towards the Leilani and lower Puna areas. Smoke conditions may increase in some areas and residents down wind that may be sensitive or have respiratory problems are advised to take necessary precautions and to remain indoors.

The evacuation advisory for those residents down slope of the flow will continue and residents will be kept informed of the flow status and advancement.

The Pahoa Village Road between Apa’a Street and the Post Office Road will remain closed and limited to area residents only. In addition, Civil Defense and public safety personnel will be operating in the area round the clock to maintain close observations of flow activity.

County of Hawaii - Civil Defense Alerts and Information

Old 11-11-2014, 05:44 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times
Quote:

That particular house was a rental that was held in a trust after its original owners passed away in the late 1990s. Its last tenants relocated to Kalapana (of all places) several weeks ago.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:37 PM

From HVO, the flow front continued to be stalled, but there was activity on the sides. Here's lava pushing through the fence at the transfer station and onto the property.

HVO Photos & Video
Attached Thumbnails
Scientists tracking new Kilauea lava flow-multimediafile-972.jpg  

Old 11-11-2014, 10:44 PM

This shows what the HVO scientists mean when they talk about lava inflating This is the lava breakout very near where it burned the house yesterday. See the red roof in the background. Now, using the woman and the fence as a height reference, look at how high it has puffed up, something like bread dough rising.

HVO Photos & Video
Attached Thumbnails
Scientists tracking new Kilauea lava flow-multimediafile-974.jpg  

Old 11-11-2014, 10:51 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Great pics OpenD!

Here is a video with some good info about pretty much everything that is going on and at about 8:30 you will start to see some beautiful video of the lava flowing down towards the transfer station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Obaw3zJra4#t=513
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island