Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2014, 01:48 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times

Advertisements

Hopefully this will make things clearer about image size here...

Here's an aerial photo from HVO showing the Pahoa Marketplace, and its proximity to Highway 130, where the lava flow is now predicted to cross the road within days.

Note: This is the Preview Image from HVO at full size. It's the easiest way to reference photos from the authorities. It's not bad, loads fastest, and posting the source link with it allows people to access the higher res Multimedia version if they wish to see it.

Note: Following is the Multimedia Image reduced in size from the original by about half, and then automatically resized again by the CDF system to fit the screen. Click on the bar at the top to see the full size (reduced) HD image. Follow the link to source to see the original unedited HD file.

HVO Photos & Video

Note: If you wish to post a link to an image already uploaded to CDF, that you've opened from the Manage Attachments screen, but don't want the image to show, just post the url as a cut and paste from the location of the opened file, rather than using the Insert Picture tool. Like the following...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...image-1038.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
Scientists tracking new Kilauea lava flow-previewimage-1038.jpg   Scientists tracking new Kilauea lava flow-multimediafile-1038.jpg  

Last edited by OpenD; 12-21-2014 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 03:02 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Sorry about the pics. It all downloads super fast for me so I didn't know others were having problems. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to make the pics smaller. I only know one way to share the pics here.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:13 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Sorry about the pics. It all downloads super fast for me so I didn't know others were having problems. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to make the pics smaller. I only know one way to share the pics here.
I think its a CDF server thing. Depending on the demand and time of day a thread can be fast or slow to load. Especially one with alot of videos or links etc. Ive notice this alot.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:48 PM

268 posts, read 382,708 times
No worries! Now thay we're on a new page it's good to go. Mahalo OpenD for the resize/repost.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:41 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Default Let's see if I can get this right...

This map is a couple days old but OpenD has been teaching me how to post a smaller pic here.
So, hopefully I have understood his instructions and it will work.

If you can see the map above then you will know that OpenD is a good teacher and even I can learn something new!
Attached Thumbnails
Scientists tracking new Kilauea lava flow-image-214.jpg  

Old 12-22-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
If you can see the map above then you will know that OpenD is a good teacher and even I can learn something new!
Glad I could explain it in a way that made sense to you. As a student, you get an A+

Old 12-22-2014, 12:37 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,675 times
Any updates today? I was looking at the HVO sites and nothing is updating. Has the flow moved any faster or has it stopped?
Thanks.

Merry Christmas to all. Let's hope the good people of the Puna District are able to sleep well this week!

Old 12-22-2014, 12:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Any updates today? I was looking at the HVO sites and nothing is updating. Has the flow moved any faster or has it stopped?
Thanks.
"The pace of lava flowing toward the Pahoa Marketplace shopping center continued to slow Monday as the flow moved through rough terrain."

Hawaii Breaking News - Lava slows in rough terrain on path toward Pahoa - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 12-22-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
It's the Civil Defense Alerts which updates daily, usually around 8 am. That link is:

County of Hawaii - Civil Defense Alerts and Information

Most of the various HVO features, including maps and photos, update about three times a week and usually late in the afternoon, incorporating whatever data they obtained in their morning flyover.

Here's the url for the maps section: HVO Maps

Here's the url for the photos and video section: HVO Photos & Video

Once you link to any one, you can switch to the others using the online menu.

There is a daily update posted on the Kilauea Status page, which can be found here:

HVO Kilauea Status

Old 12-22-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
To your specific question, the flow has slowed but not stopped, and is still projected to reach the Marketplace by Christmas. Following is the Civil Defense Alert for today...

Quote:
Eruption Information Update For Monday December 22nd At 8:00 AM

This is an eruption and lava flow information update for Monday December 22nd at 8:00 AM.

This morning’s assessment shows that the flow front remains active and continues to advance in an east-northeast direction. The flow front is widening and continues to advance slowly. The active flow had advanced approximately 70 yards since 6:30 a.m. yesterday morning and the front remains approximately 0.6 miles upslope of the Highway 130 and Pahoa Village Road intersection. Current activity does not pose an immediate threat to area communities and Civil Defense and Hawaiian Volcano Observatory personnel are maintaining close observations of the flow. Residents and businesses down slope will be kept informed of any changes in flow activity, advancement, and status. As the flow activity continues to show signs of advancement, businesses in the Pahoa Market Place are taking necessary steps to prepare for a possible evacuation. Motorists are advised to drive with caution and to be prepared for increased traffic and large vehicles in the area.

Smoke conditions in the immediate area were moderate to heavy with a light northwest wind blowing the smoke and Vog in a south/southeast direction through the Pahoa and lower Puna areas. Smoke conditions may increase in some areas and individuals who may be sensitive or have respiratory problems are advised to take necessary precautions and to remain indoors.

The Railroad Avenue alternate access road has been opened for use from 12:00 noon this past Saturday December 20th. This is to allow for motorists to become familiar with the road and traffic flow. Highway 130 remains open and there is no anticipated road closure at this time.

On behalf of the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency and our partners we would like to thank everyone for your assistance and cooperation.

County of Hawaii - Civil Defense Alerts and Information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island