Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 11:22 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times

Advertisements

YEAH! So all you guys who speak out against Gentrification of the islands and big box stores or the aina, antigrowth or anything other then money money money. Be quiet know your role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 12:35 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
While I can appreciate the argument you make in principle, the vast majority of people in Hawaii don't have the stomach for local only high prices. I don't go to Walmart not because I have some beef with Walmart - they are jammed pack seemingly 24 hours a day, parking is a nightmare, it literally just isn't an enjoyable experience unless you love to shop and you don't like wall to wall crowds.

Anyway, the argument about buying something made elsewhere is economically very highly flawed. Lets take something less controversial - like a TV. Regardless of the store you go to go, buying a Samsung TV does not mean those $$$'s walk out of the door, head to the new airport, and take the first flight to Korea.
I agree. Moreover, I'd like to add that Hawaiʻi has never been a major manufacturing hub and outside of Oʻahu, it's a bit of a "retail backwater." If I want to purchase a car, television, or microwave oven, I'm pretty sure that none of them are manufactured in Hawaiʻi. And, the local vendors for those products must be competitive in pricing and service in order to continue attracting customers.

Most non-local business entities in Hawaiʻi pay taxes, provide direct and ancillary employment for locals, and contribute to the local economy. So, the "buy local" argument tends to fly in the face of economic realities.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I agree. Moreover, I'd like to add that Hawaiʻi has never been a major manufacturing hub and outside of Oʻahu, it's a bit of a "retail backwater." If I want to purchase a car, television, or microwave oven, I'm pretty sure that none of them are manufactured in Hawaiʻi. And, the local vendors for those products must be competitive in pricing and service in order to continue attracting customers.

Most non-local business entities in Hawaiʻi pay taxes, provide direct and ancillary employment for locals, and contribute to the local economy. So, the "buy local" argument tends to fly in the face of economic realities.
I have to disagree, but economicly yes your right. But responsibility wise your wrong. Most local businesses are owned by people who live in the communities and make decisions based on whats best for the communities, aina etc because they have roots. Most large corporations don't care about the community, only in terms of profits. Money is the driving facto

Old 10-15-2014, 01:43 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
@hawaiian by heart... I hate to break this news to you, but Walmart doesn't exactly deserve the standard liberal rhetoric that is directed at it. Here are a few interesting Hawaii Walmart facts.

Walmart Stores in Hawaii

Associates:
Associates in Hawaii: 3,736
Average wage: $15.20*
*For regular, full-time hourly associates in Walmart Discount Stores, Supercenters and Neighborhood Markets, as of August 11, 2014
Suppliers:
Spent with suppliers: $210.2 million
Supplier jobs supported: 8,928
*Supplier figures provided by Dun & Bradstreet for FYE 2014
Taxes and Fees:
Collected: $52.7 million
Paid: $23.3 million
*Collected on behalf of the state of Hawaii as part of transactional sales of taxable goods and services for FYE 2014
Community Giving to Local Organizations in 2013:
Cash and in-kind donations from stores, clubs and the Walmart Foundation: $1.4 million
Total giving, including customer donations: $1.7 million

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Taking a look at those numbers, do you believe that the average local, mom-and-pop store pays their employees that well? That is 3,700 employees that all have jobs, who then spend that money right back in their own neighborhoods, probably a lot of times in those mom-and-pop stores!

Now look at the 2013 charitable giving (subtracting the $0.3 million given by customers) and see that Walmart gave $1.4 million to charities in Hawaii! That's a pretty big number for a corporation that only cares about profits, ya think?

Old 10-15-2014, 01:56 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
Walmart Hourly Pay | Glassdoor

Someones not quite telling the truth.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post

Glassdoor is notoriously unreliable - mostly bitter people.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Sometimes profits and making money isnt the best thing for communities etc.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:12 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post

Yeah, Walmart is notorious for not telling the truth about the wages it pays. They've been busted by the press for it over and over and over again, but they still keep it up. And one place they lie is in reporting wages for full time hires, then deliberately limiting large numbers of employees to part-time schedules at much lower rates.

One place that lie shows up is in the large number of Walmart employees that collect public assistance of one kind or another. According to this report from April, Walmart employees' wages in Hawai'i were supplemented by $17.7 Million in public assistance.

http://www.americansfortaxfairness.o...Fairness-1.pdf

Old 10-15-2014, 03:18 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
Quote:
I'm sure that's what Walmart would like one to think. Doesn't mean anything to me, walked into Walmart in Waipahu once, turned around, and walked back out. Just not my thing.

Last edited by Jungjohann; 10-15-2014 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island