Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:00 PM

737 posts, read 1,461,714 times

Advertisements

I live on the hamakua coast and like mogon said, it can be brutal over here as well when the trades go away or the evil south winds prevail. If the trades are blowing, it's probably one of the least affected areas on the big island. I knew someone that lived in Waimea that had to move out of state because the vog was affecting his heart and his breathing(they did tests on him for a few days and came to that conclusion anyway), he is 30. It all depends though. Can't wait to leave my self! I wonder what the long term effects will be... Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 01:17 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,588,653 times
Aloha, Franklin Im moving to the Hilo area in Dec and I want to live on the Hamakua coast how is it there ?

Old 07-25-2009, 01:28 AM

737 posts, read 1,461,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Aloha, Franklin Im moving to the Hilo area in Dec and I want to live on the Hamakua coast how is it there ?
It has been really nice this summer. Trades have been kicking for the past few months give or take a few days. Very comfortable. I'm not to sure about Hilo though. I make it there maybe once or twice a month. If I will miss one thing about living here, it will be the mid 70's/dry and breezy weather in the dead of summer. Can't beat it. The "winter" weather is still my favorite though. With a name like KoaKine I would have guessed you are from here or have lived here before? Besides the weather, it's all what YOU make of it. If you can adapt and find decent work, you will love it. I'll leave it at that, I've covered the other half in older posts. Good luck to you!

Old 07-25-2009, 02:36 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times
Did I hear wrong that the vent collasped on itself June 30th? Isn't things better... ohana said the just returned from Kona and no vog for a couple of days there..... Or is Pele still going at it? Back in November.

Ohana live up north Hilo by Colecole state park. I swear they are drier and hardly and wind but breeze with all the days of vog I spend last winter never was it voggy there when visiting. Could be pouring rain in Hilo and Pahoa but warm and dry. Of course it rains but so far seen it only wonderful.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:08 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,588,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin42 View Post
It has been really nice this summer. Trades have been kicking for the past few months give or take a few days. Very comfortable. I'm not to sure about Hilo though. I make it there maybe once or twice a month. If I will miss one thing about living here, it will be the mid 70's/dry and breezy weather in the dead of summer. Can't beat it. The "winter" weather is still my favorite though. With a name like KoaKine I would have guessed you are from here or have lived here before? Besides the weather, it's all what YOU make of it. If you can adapt and find decent work, you will love it. I'll leave it at that, I've covered the other half in older posts. Good luck to you!
Thank you for the kind words.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:21 AM

7 posts, read 30,406 times
The vog sounds like I can't go/can't live there. Here on the coast of Chile the air is the cleanest in the world and my breathing has improved a lot.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:43 PM

84 posts, read 152,268 times
We are about to make our reservations for airplane tickets for June or July of 2011. How's the vog now? With the drought and the vog will everything be grey and brown instead of blue and green? We usually stay in Keauhou and travel all over the island each day. We were hoping to stay in our same hotel and have access to Kona town in the evening if we want to eat out. We plan on spending time in Puna and Waipio and Hilo.

I guess I am most concerned that the folliage will be sad to look at and the skies will not be blue. Of course air quality is an issue, but not as much as the esthetics. I'm not being shallow about the island. I know there's much to do that doesn't involve eye candy. But I am concerned about the huge financial investment if we will be very disappointed. By the way, I've been there 4 times, so I will notice a difference if it's very different. Thanks for any advice!

Old 11-07-2010, 09:50 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times
The honest answer: you may be disappointed if you stay in Kona/Keauhou. I'd recommend staying at the Waikoloa resorts or even at a B&B in upcountry Waimea. I make the drive to Kona a few times each month and there are more times than not that the horizon is hazy or grey.

The vog is not as bad as it was a year or so ago, but the views are still MUCH better on the Hamakua coast and in North Kohala. If you are aiming for Puna, Waipio and Hilo, is staying at a hotel or B&B much closer to those destinations an option?

(I've never stayed there, but in Waimea there's the Kamuela Inn and lots of B&Bs. Waimea has some great restaurants too: Merrimans, Daniel Thiebauts, Red Water Cafe (aka Fujimamas), Pau, Lilikoi Cafe...and, of course, you can drive down to the resorts for "fancy" dinners. Closer to Hilo, check out the Palms Cliff House Inn.)

Old 11-08-2010, 04:22 PM

84 posts, read 152,268 times
Thanks for your answer. We were there November 2009. Are you saying it s better now than it was then? Because we actually weren't too affected by the vog. Though it was pretty dreary. Is that how it is now? Also, any dramatic changes in the folliage? The green is my favorite part of the island. I noticed in looking through my photos that last year's trip had brown hills where they were green in years past. I'm talking about on the road between Kona and Hilo over the top. So is it about the same or worse this year? I appreciate your help.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:27 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeirdreDedra View Post
Thanks for your answer. We were there November 2009. Are you saying it s better now than it was then? Because we actually weren't too affected by the vog. Though it was pretty dreary. Is that how it is now? Also, any dramatic changes in the folliage? The green is my favorite part of the island. I noticed in looking through my photos that last year's trip had brown hills where they were green in years past. I'm talking about on the road between Kona and Hilo over the top. So is it about the same or worse this year? I appreciate your help.
Saddle Road? That's not from the VOG - it is from the lack of RAIN. Stay in Puna District where everything is green and there is no VOG. The VOG goes UP first, then drops back down over the other areas, many, many miles later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island