Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:24 AM

51 posts, read 119,514 times

Advertisements

cute baby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 11:26 AM

51 posts, read 119,514 times
oh, about vog... ive heard if you live on the windward side you dont get much vog

Old 01-23-2011, 04:44 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Someone in Kalapana just lost their house to lava flow. You won't have VOG or lava on the other islands. But is the BI is calling to you,best of luck.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:52 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Someone in Kalapana just lost their house to lava flow. You won't have VOG or lava on the other islands. But is the BI is calling to you,best of luck.
Yeah, but that woman built where the last lava flow was only 8 years old. Sure hope she got it cheap, because it's all gone now. But the area that is at danger is fairly small and well defined. Not like it's just gonna pop up anywhere.

And let's put the VOG in perspective... I've lived in Denver and in Burbank, and the bad air days there were worse and more frequent than anyplace I know on the BI.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:11 AM

28 posts, read 51,385 times
Just got through reading everyone's comments and still have questions.... Is the VOG in Hilo especially bad or does it vary? Also what areas are in lava zone? Are parts of Hilo a no no? Im so lost and am looking to buy a home there soon, so please any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! Mahalo!

Old 02-17-2011, 11:28 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happydazemama View Post
Hi there, thanks for taking the time to read my Q. My husband, infant daughter and grandmother have the opportunity to move to the big island for a job. His job involves traveling all over the island, so we have some freedom in choosing where we live. The only thing holding us up is the Vog issue. I've gotten a lot of info from the Hawaii DOH website, but I still don't understand how severe of an issue it is. I realize that right now it's worse because of the volcanic activity. Is there an area of the island that consistantly has bad air quality? Is there an area that is rarely affected by Vog? From your perspective, is it enough of a health issue for children that you would turn the job down? Does it compare to any mainland cities' smog problems? Obviously, I'm so excited at the prospect of my daughter experiencing her first years of life in such a beautiful spiritual place. I want her to have first hand appreciation of how amazing our natural world is, but if this move is going to harm her then we will stay put. To put it plainly "How bad is it?"
Sorry, I'm a new mom and insist everyone "Gotta see the baby!" (Seinfeld ref)
Fortunately, your baby bears not the slightest resemblance to Lyndon Johnson.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Vog can affect Oahu and Maui.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinagee View Post
Just got through reading everyone's comments and still have questions.... Is the VOG in Hilo especially bad or does it vary? Also what areas are in lava zone? Are parts of Hilo a no no? Im so lost and am looking to buy a home there soon, so please any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! Mahalo!
Here is a map of lava zones. I believe zones 3-9 are insurable; zones 1-2 are not.

Lava Flow Hazard Zones on the Island of Hawai`i

Hilo neighborhoods vary greatly; I'd do a thorough search of these threads and talk to a real estate agent.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:31 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
The vog levels vary on a daily basis. Depends on how much activity there is at Halemaumau and which way the winds are blowing. Generally the vog blows west from the volcano, and Hilo is to the northeast. The tradewinds help blow the vog past us on the south end of the island and then it ends up sitting over Kona. So even though Hilo is closer to the volcano, Kona is much more affected by the vog.

You can google "lava zone maps hawaii" and find out all sorts of information about that. I don't think any areas of Hilo are in a bad lava zone. Hopefully you will find a good realtor to work with who can explain lava zones and tsunami zones and all of those things to you.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:35 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Actually, the other islands do get vog. It depends upon the wind. If you watch Oahu weather forecasts, they mention it and sometimes show video where you can see it. They will mention is as "Kona winds".

Vog and haze are 2 different things. Vog looks kinda like haze though. Haze is from warm, humid air - basically a cloud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island