Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:42 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times

Advertisements

Hi Eddie. Tin, (corrugated sheetmetal) roofs are still the most popular type here. They hold up to the weather better and are the cleanest kind for gathering rainwater. Most of the FSBO's I've seen (online) have been about the same price or more than MLS listings. Have you looked here? www.hawaiiinformation.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 03:05 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,014 times
Usually FSBOs will work with a buyer's agent. If you are unfamiliar with the Puna district, having a realtor who knows the territory (not just geographically speaking!) may save you some headaches down the road. At the very least, be sure to get a home inspection from a thorough inspector before purchasing anything!

Old 01-30-2009, 03:48 PM

121 posts, read 524,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Hi Eddie. Tin, (corrugated sheetmetal) roofs are still the most popular type here. They hold up to the weather better and are the cleanest kind for gathering rainwater. Most of the FSBO's I've seen (online) have been about the same price or more than MLS listings. Have you looked here? www.hawaiiinformation.com
Hey guy, well, good to hear those roofs are still around. I thought they slowly went to roof heaven when the plantation-type homes were replaced with, <gasp> double wall construction, lol. The only home we owned in HI was in Ewa Beach and it was all single wall construction.
Now the water issue. I'm not too familiar with catchments. So far, about half the properties I've looked at have catchment and the rest have conventional water pipes. Makes sense that tin would be a better source for getting rainwater. But I've seen tanks that were placed a small distance away from the home. How do they get the rainwater to get into the tank? My thinking is there must be some kind of pump somewhere, right? I guess this is another issue I've got to research.
I'll check out the link you provided.
Thanks!
Eddie
btw, I'm an ex-Honolulu PD officer. Have I arrested any of you guys out there? Just kid'ng

Old 01-30-2009, 04:59 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
There's no pump, the water runs into the tank by gravity siphon. It's then pumped into the house & filtered. If you can find a single-wall house, I'd recommend it over double-wall, they're cooler, airier, and don't have all those hollow walls where mold and creatures hide. You haven't arrested me yet, I haven't been caught.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:16 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,014 times
Almost everything you might need to know about catchment:

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/RM-12.pdf (Pumps, pg 24 and 51/52)

Old 01-30-2009, 10:25 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdLo View Post
KK, most of the cheaper homes/properties are in the SE Puna district. Kona seems to be the most expensive. I don't care if it's near the ocean. Heck, most anywhere in BI you can get there within a few minutes. Besides, there's not too many good beaches like say, Kauai or Oahu. What I will have to research a little bit more is on VOG and lava zones. And I don't care about schools. All my kids went grow up already.
Fair to say that Puna has moderate VOG and plenty rain. Don't mind the rain, actually I love rain. The mo'ah the bettah. When we lived in Lawai {Kauai} we lived in a plantation house with a tin roof and the rainfall would mesmerize me. Something about rain on a tin roof. With today's more modern construction I guess tin roofs are not used anymore.
So if any of you guys know of a good buy, let me know via private message. I don't have a realtor yet. Actually to save money I'd rather get a FSBO property. But I'm open to suggestions.
Thank you all. Nice bunch of people here.
Eddie

Now, not to say it can't be done, but unless you are VERY familiar with Hawaii real estate issues, do consider interviewing several RE agents and find one that you like and trust.
I had pretty extensive experience in real estate, in general, in fact even FSBO'd my last house in LV with no problem. However, when we started looking in Hawaii I very quickly learned that I didn't know squat about it here! Remember, the seller pays the commission, not the buyer.

Anyhow, you are right the lowest priced houses are on the east side. Even more reason to investigate thoroughly; area, neighbors, neighborhood rules (or the lack thereof), traffic, cocqui frogs, lava zones, insurance and mortgage limitations related to lava zones, easements and encroachment issue, termites, condition of the home (permits?) etc.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:56 AM

263 posts, read 1,005,318 times
Quote:
OK guy, before I read the link provided by cynmkolohe (hard to pronounce, is it see-num-kolohe?) anywayz, if the water falls on the roof, and the gutters send it to the tank, how can it do that if the tank is *above* the house? I can see how it would run to the tank if it's *below* the house. If it's below the house, then how does it go back *up* to the house, without pumps? hmm, I guess I better go to the link.
I've been in houses that were set up both ways; rainwater runs off the roof into the tank by gravity and pumps are used to bring it into the house, or rainwater from the roof is pumped up to a tank situated higher than the house and the weight of the water is enough for a strong flow to flush the toilets, etc.

Bob

Old 01-31-2009, 02:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,631 times
Unhappy moving to Hawii

Hello all. My husband was just offered a job at schofield army base, he is retired Army and we have no children left at home so it would be just the two of us. I found this city-data by accident, it generally sounds as if it is rough living in Hawii, we both are ready for a slower not so stressed life, what is the crime rate really like? We dont have to consider schools, and while money is always tight everywhere, since it is the two of us and we are simple peole is it possible to have the not so stressed lifestyle there? We are white and some of these forums sound as if it will be difficult for us because of it, is there any truth to it? We have been to alot of places 21 yrs active army, but never to Hawii, we have heard both good and horror stories but would like some real experiences from people that live there. Like is milk really 5-6 dollars a gallon? Even on base? And we are wanting to rent a fully furnished apt. we already did some searches but is there any place we shouldnt rent? I mean areas of the island? Anyway Thank You! Oh right now we are in Northern Indiana.....-13. yuck!!!!!

Old 01-31-2009, 10:58 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Freezing girl, Schofield is on Oahu, not "the Big Island", so you'll want to research some posts about Oahu. However, that said, for just 2 adults with no cares about schools, you should have a great time living there during his next tour. When do you arrive?
You should plan a trip out for a week or two to check out this job offer, and see where you might want to live and what's available in those areas. If his job is on base you might start with Mililani. Call 2 or 3 residential property management RE companies and see what they have available, and check craigslist for rentals too. search "oahu" rentals to make sure you get the right island. I work on the Big Island and every once in awhile I"ll get a call or e-mail from some soldier asking "how far away from Kanahoe is that condo you have advertised? LOL
Yes, milk is $5 - $6 a gallon! Pretty much everything is going to be significantly more expensive than N. Indiana.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:52 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Quote:
Hey guy, well, good to hear those roofs are still around. I thought they slowly went to roof heaven when the plantation-type homes were replaced with, <gasp> double wall construction, lol. The only home we owned in HI was in Ewa Beach and it was all single wall construction.
Now the water issue. I'm not too familiar with catchments. So far, about half the properties I've looked at have catchment and the rest have conventional water pipes. Makes sense that tin would be a better source for getting rainwater. But I've seen tanks that were placed a small distance away from the home. How do they get the rainwater to get into the tank? My thinking is there must be some kind of pump somewhere, right? I guess this is another issue I've got to research.
I'll check out the link you provided.
Thanks!
Eddie
btw, I'm an ex-Honolulu PD officer. Have I arrested any of you guys out there? Just kid'ng
Folks are still building tin roofed single wall houses here. I've had three clients in the past year or so who built them. (I draw blueprints). Just saw one of the folks today at a yard sale and she's really happy with her house. She chose single wall because the house is small and she gets more useable space without deducting the width of the double wall and because the walls are then wood instead of drywall.

For the catchment systesms most of the water gets into the tank from gravity and then is pumped into the house with a pump/pressure tank combination. Many folks on catchment fill up water jugs at spigots set up by the County for drinking water and just use their catchment for showers, laundry and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island