Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 08:37 PM

121 posts, read 524,383 times

Advertisements

[quote=freezing gurl;7257068]<snip> generally sounds as if it is rough living in Hawii, <snip> never to Hawii, <snip>
Hi freezing gurl. First, before you make your move, learn how to spell (and pronounce) Hawaii. You don't have to pronounce it the politically correct way, Ha-va-ee. That pronunciation is reserved for the university crowd, or entertainers, or those that want to impress native Hawaiians. The majority of the world pronounce it the way it's spelled.
It is true that in the Hawaiian alphabet the letter W followed and preceded by a vowel in a word is pronounced like the letter "V."
There are exceptions. *always* pronounce Ewa as "EVA" and Ha-le-i*VA* not "Ha le ee WA."
(sorry, once a teacher, always a teacher)
Eddie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 10:54 PM

96 posts, read 619,878 times
aloha Edlo, I'm actually doing the same thing as you. well sort of. I'm actually looking for a vacant lot to build a home on in Waikoloa or Kona. here is a helpful site on looking for available properties
Search the Big Island MLS for Hawaii Real Estate on The Big Island
it is great so you can narrow down search areas on the island, what your budget is how many sqft and bedrooms/bathrooms. hope it helps you in your search.
though i just wanted to say that while Puna is going to be the cheapest it is also in lava zone 2 i believe so you'll have added costs. there is a site too that shows the lava zones on hawaii but i don't have the address just google it and i'm sure youll find it. there are 9 lava zones, 1 being kiluea and having recent erruptions while 9 is kohala i believe and hasnt had erruption flow for thousands of years. hope this helps you out in your search

edit
here is a lava zone thing
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/hazards/lavazones/main.html

Last edited by KoaHawaii; 02-01-2009 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: adding website

Old 02-01-2009, 11:57 PM

121 posts, read 524,383 times
Thanks KH. I get a lot of info on the BI from konaweb.com. (had forgot that I had them in my favorites) It's a very comprehensive site for all kinds info about the BI.
You must have da money to go live Waikoloa/Kona side. I only get about $55K to put down and it ain't gonna be 'nuff for da west side.
btw, you notice that small area due south of the Kilauea caldera that is considered zone 5? It says that this area is currently protected from lava flows by the topography of the volcano. In other words, you can stand there and watch the flow go around you with no fear of going over your property. hmm, I wonder if there's any population there?
Eddie

Old 02-02-2009, 12:24 AM

96 posts, read 619,878 times
yea bit odd that there is a zone 5 that close to volcano. though its in Volcano National Park so no one can live there. too bad haha could have a crazy view of Pele, though might be pushing your luck being that close.

I've been saving and working a lot though I'm also just waiting to see how much further the prices will go down, plus I'm looking for a vacant lot which is usually cheaper than one that already has a house on it. Will wait to build till I can afford that haha, especially in this economy. Im also going into it with family so that helps

Old 02-04-2009, 01:47 AM

11 posts, read 35,548 times
Default big island question

Have you been to Discovery Harbor Sub? County water. Kau. South Point. It is nice.

Last edited by sonia s; 02-04-2009 at 01:57 AM..

Old 02-04-2009, 02:12 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,659 times
Eddie, since you say your looking to buy in Puna, you might go to Punaweb Home and try the forums there. It is based out of Pahoa & has a lot of "Punacentric" information. You can even post a free "House Wanted" ad. Oh, Puna is in lava zones 1, 2, and 3, mostly zone 3.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:20 PM

4 posts, read 21,323 times
Try Konaweb.com - there are all kinds of Q and A about EVERYTHING!!!
And, as a Realtor, I have to say--- find and USE a good one!!!! As a Buyer, you pay NOTHING for their expertise- the sellers pay part of their listing fee to the buyer's realtor. The good ones will tell you the good, the bad, and the ugly, so you can make an informed decision. There are TOO MANY issues on Hi Island that you don't know about- lava zones and how they affect your insurance, ( I am also licensed in insurance), VOG, rainfall, Leaseholds, catchment water systems, private water systems, drainage problems, archeological finds on your land, and on and on.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:18 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Coqui frogs, don't forget the coqui frogs!

Old 03-05-2009, 06:50 PM

33 posts, read 118,764 times
Yes, lets hear about these frogs! I have heard they are a huge nuisance, what areas are primarily affected by them?

Old 03-06-2009, 03:58 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,659 times
They are most prevalent in the wetter areas like Hilo and Puna, but have spread to all districts on the Big Island. UH Manoa has a map on their website that shows the infestations. They seem to be following the highways. It makes sense, I live in an infested area and at least 3 visitors have inadvertantly carried coqui miles to their homes on the outside or undercarriage of their cars. The frogs love to hide in moist, dark crannys like car door jambs and lay eggs there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island