Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 08:12 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,096 times

Advertisements

If handfed or acquired young, as a single bird, which of these make better pet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 07:54 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
realy depends what kind of commitment your looking for...
parrotlets are AMAZON PARROTS, they have huge personalites and while tiny they don't know they are...
p-lets are independent thinkers, too intelligent for their own good.
as amazons they do tend to bond to a few select people and can be downright mean with anyone else...
they are very active and playful and require a surprisingly LARGE cage FULL of toys to keep them from getting bored, destructive and aggressive. they are also the most prone out of all to be territorial/cage aggressive.
I keep my parrotlets in a MINIMUM of 24 deep x18 tall x30 long cages, with lots of toys traded out weekly to keep them entertained...
parrotlets love long cages because theres more space to hang toys!
parrotlets while quiet for a PARROT and not as persistenly noisy as somefo the smaller birds...can give out a shrill high pitched squeak regularly in the mornings and evenings...so if you sensitive to high pitched noises...probably not a good choice.

Lovebirds...a single hand raised lovebird will be one of the most BONDED creatures on the face of the planet...BUT that can also be its downfall...a cage about the same size of a budgie with plenty of toys and places to snuggle...but lovvies require LOTS of attention...they don't LIKE your company...they NEED it...lovebirds who don't get enough attention WILL DIE!
this means they need HOURS out of the cage...you cant just decide "im going out for dinner and drinks with buddies tonight might be home at 2am..." lovvies need strict scheduals and lots of you time...of the 3 they are the most demanding...
they are called LOVE birds for a reason...they NEED your love if they are kept alone. ive got a frined with a lovvie whos in her cage for mabe 4 hours a day total and my frined says realy even that's too much alone time for a lovebird.
cage minimum of 18x18x24, lovies seem to do well in either a tall cage or long one...as long as theres space to stretch the wings and flap very freely.
lovebirds are not persistently noisy, more frequently noisy than a plet and about the csame volume and pitch. but not as frequently noisy as a budgie.

Budgies...probably the "easiest" of the 3, minimum cage size 18x18x24 (despite what some cage makers will let you think) and toys, budgies are intelligent and like toys.
these guys are the noisiest of the 3...but lowest volume...they are "chatterers" making lots of quieter chattery noise during the day rather than short periods of LOUD noise in the mornings and evenigns, of the 3, the budgie is he most likely to talk clearly (though plets can learn their little speaking voices are tiny and high pitched so not very clear)
budgies arnt as needy as he lovebird or tempermental as the plets but can be quite opinionated when they want to be.

I personally don't think any 1 is better than the other...they are all "the better pet" FOR THE RIGHT PERSON...

based on some of your previous posts...id personally stick with finches or a canary since apparently a properly sized cage is an issue for you and spending enough out of cage time might also be a problem given you still want a life outsie of work and home...

but if not, for you id go with a budgie...there definatly the least demanding of the group and the most forgiving...

Old 10-04-2014, 10:16 AM

7,098 posts, read 4,825,782 times
Another knowledgeable, articulate, and intelligent post by Foxywench. Can't rep you, Foxy.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:18 PM

Parrotletts are not Amazon Parrots.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:27 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Parrotletts are not Amazon Parrots.
No, they are not. They have a "big bird" personality and are often compared to Amazon parrots, which I have read are said to be their close cousins. Parrotlets are the smallest species of parrots. Pacific and Green Rump are the common ones people have as pets. I've had both, but prefer Pacific. I currently have a Blue Pacific and he's a total love! He will go to anyone, but does prefer me. His favorite place is cuddling up on my neck under my hair. Mine isn't loud at all and prefers a smaller cage w/ lots of toys. I bought him a large one, and he froze up in it. I bought him as a baby and took over hand feeding. I couldn't ask for a better little bird.

I've always called the Australian Budgies, Parakeets. That's what they're called in the pet stores here. I use to breed them. I found that there wasn't a big difference in hand feeding the babies or handling them a lot. Both ways made for great pets. Getting them young makes it easier for training. They can be little chatterboxes and learn many words, even sentences.

I have an English Budgie right now. He has a ton of personality and is starting to talk up a storm. He is probably 3 X's the size of the common Australian Budgie and more pricey. He mimics everything. I can reach in and take him out anytime. He's a little more flighty than my Parrotlet, but never bites.

I also use to breed Lovebirds for color mutations. I agree w/ Foxy that a single hand fed raised one makes a super pet. The bird will bond to you, but I never had an issue w/ one needing my attention so much that it would die. I've had several as pet Lovebirds over the years and never had to change my schedule to meet theirs needs. I never had to keep mine out of the cage longer than they were in. Mine all thrived and lived to old age. Lovebirds can be noisy!

I don't think you can go wrong w/ any one of these fine birds.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:29 PM

I SHOULD have said...they are closely related to Amazon parrots
they are VERY VERY VERY similar personality wise to amazon parrots...

Pet Parrots 101 -About Parrotlets
"They are actually closely related to the Amazon parrot"

Parrotlets
"closely related to the grand Amazon parrots"

Information About Parrotlets
"Closely related to the grand Amazon parrots"

Pacific Parrotlets - Feathers First Aviary
"Like their larger cousins, the Amazons, Parrotlets are known for being very bold and mischievous"

Old 10-04-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahncss View Post
Pacific and Green Rump are the common ones people have as pets. I've had both, but prefer Pacific.
Green Rump are rare and expensive.

How are Parrotlet more "big parrot like" than lovebird?

Old 10-05-2014, 12:55 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,471,387 times
Here we go again

Old 10-05-2014, 09:02 AM

LOL, I don't think the palm is big enough but theres no icon for head desk LOL!

yes green rump are rarer and more expensive...but compared to spectacled ect they and the pacifics are the "common" ones in the bird industry.

lovies and plets have completely different personalities..
plets belive they are amazons they belive they are giant parrots and have all that personality packed in, they can be obnoxious, moody, tempermental, DESTRUCTIVE, playfull, they are much more active and demanding than the smaller hookbills like lovebirds and budgies in terms of need for mental stimulation.
while lovies and budgies are happy to spend their days climbing/swinging and pulling apart a few toys, looking for seed and snuggling with their people, parrotlets like the big parrots need more mental stimulation in terms of puzzle toys, a budgie or lovebird isn't likely to spend house figuring out how to open the lock on its cage due to boredome...a parrotlet however WILL...parrotlets are also muchmore likely to start getting loud for attention and plucking when stressed compared to a lovebird or budgie...

while they are all small birds, all 3 have very different temperments...reuirments...personalities...ect.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:43 PM

If someone has a Green Cheek Conure, what type of stuff can a parrotlet bring to the table that a Green Cheek Conure cannot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds