Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2022, 11:04 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,241,979 times

Advertisements

agreed, yesterday was definitely the lowest turnout for a Stallions game.

the Saturday night games seem to have done the best, as you might expect from a college football town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen440 View Post
Did the organization mis-calculate about Birmingham's support and attendance? I thought Birmingham had a high pro-league IQ/desire.
If they did, then they set the city up for failure.

Birmingham metro (1.1 million) is barely at the lower end threshold for most professional sports markets. You're telling me that you expected the metro to fill out the stadium for EIGHT DIFFERENT TEAMS week in and week out? I guarantee you FOX looked at this when making its decision. Whether or not it was the right move, only time will tell. But to paint this as a failure on Birmingham's part is unfair in my opinion. You won't convince me that the story would be different in any similar-sized market. Hell, I don't think the story would be different in other next-tier non-pro football markets (Austin, San Antonio, etc).

Old 05-30-2022, 05:51 PM

162 posts, read 180,752 times
It wouldn't look any different anywhere else. It's not the NFL.

Old 05-30-2022, 06:48 PM

Also, I'm guessing this coming weekend will have the lowest attendance all season thanks to the games being played at Legion Field.

Garth Brooks is in town June 4th for a sold-out show at Protective Stadium, the first concert to be held there. The Stallions play a few hours beforehand.

Old 05-30-2022, 09:00 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,177,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Also, I'm guessing this coming weekend will have the lowest attendance all season thanks to the games being played at Legion Field.

Garth Brooks is in town June 4th for a sold-out show at Protective Stadium, the first concert to be held there. The Stallions play a few hours beforehand.
Why. You go to watch a football game anyway. How is people so scared of going to a place 7 mins away from the new stadium. The constant negativity because it's LF. Like how many times are we going to say the same thing over and over. Game is at 3. Pretty sure those going to the concert isn't going to football games anyway. Smh

Old 05-30-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Why. You go to watch a football game anyway. How is people so scared of going to a place 7 mins away from the new stadium. The constant negativity because it's LF. Like how many times are we going to say the same thing over and over. Game is at 3. Pretty sure those going to the concert isn't going to football games anyway. Smh
Unfortunately, a lot of people won't go because of the location. Regardless of their reasoning, it's the reality. Obviously, you and I know there's nothing wrong with going to a game there, but a lot of people simply won't. Now, there's also the possibility that having it at Legion Field will bring other fans that would rather see it there (maybe due to nostalgia or simply that they live closer). Hopefully that's the case. But it will also be harder to "look" full at Legion Field given the sheer size difference between the two (45,000 seats vs 70,000).

And yes, the football game is at 3 and the concert is at 7. So one could choose to do both, but that would make for a long day / night. I bet there is actually quite a bit of overlap among football fans and Garth Brooks fans, many of whom may be deciding between the two... in which case the once-in-a-lifetime event his final stadium tour) will certainly win out.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:31 AM

1,019 posts, read 644,471 times
I was there for Sunday's game until the final whistle. The crowd was there, but at any given time, several thousand are out of their seats standing in the concourse or in line for concessions. It was hot. The crowd peaked middle of 2nd quarter and by the fourth, half had gone home. The sun was just brutal.

TV ratings have always still been the number one goal/metric for the league's success and they want at least 1M views for the games broadcast on the free TV FOX and NBC channels. So those of you rooting for the league's demise and trying to count people from home should maybe look into that.

Old 05-31-2022, 07:24 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,177,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of people won't go because of the location. Regardless of their reasoning, it's the reality. Obviously, you and I know there's nothing wrong with going to a game there, but a lot of people simply won't. Now, there's also the possibility that having it at Legion Field will bring other fans that would rather see it there (maybe due to nostalgia or simply that they live closer). Hopefully that's the case. But it will also be harder to "look" full at Legion Field given the sheer size difference between the two (45,000 seats vs 70,000).
But do we always have to make an announcement ahead of anything there, just in case it don't do well, we can point to as justification by saying "I gave everyone a head's up" sort of thing by saying it's at Legion Field. Like we always want to give a reason beforehand with anything concerning Birmingham. You never hear anyone saying much about the Crossplex. And it has swimming and tracks events for colleges and high schools there every single weekend in Five Point West with West End right behind it. Hey, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree like always. I apologize. It's just really getting tiresome at this point.

Last edited by mcalumni01; 05-31-2022 at 07:39 AM..

Old 05-31-2022, 09:47 AM

I remember some good crowds at Iron games, especially the opener. They tapered off and were affected by weather, but that is to be expected. I think the usual crowd will show up to support the team.

Old 06-04-2022, 03:58 PM

8-0!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area