Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > KatieGal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
  1. Old Comment

My Experience At OKCupid

My message is sadly less personal. I signed up with Okcupid on my android tablet and installed the app there. So, havent uploaded a picture of myself but being more competent with my windows 10 desktop I figured I could enclose it in an email on my windows 10 desktop.
    Problem is today my password didn't work so I tried to reset my password on the android tablet and it sent me an email message on my PC where my email client resides. Okay, but the "reset password" email sent me to a part of my account where I tell "What would your friends say about you?" for my profile. It also said I had to upload my picture before my account would be visible. Okay,0 but what good will that do if I don't have a password?
    Essentially, do I need to upload a picture to get to resetting my password or must I put Okcupid on my PC, or put my email on my Lenovo android tablet? Does anybody relate to this and what do you suggest? Thanks!
  2. Old Comment

A Cause To Depart

Katie, I want you to know that I do enjoy reading your blog posts, and it's always a joy to have you on here. We have a lot of wonderful and faithful posters who come on here frequently and speak what is on their minds.

I'm very sorry about what's happened to you on the forums, and things like what you've experienced do happen. Please don't give up or be discouraged over things like closed threads on our forums. If nothing else, you've still got a place to go if things on the forum go south (or even if they don't), and that's this blog page. As long as the TOS is followed, you'll be fine.

Please don't leave us. My beliefs may not be the same as yours, but you still have a place here. You write very well, too.
  3. Old Comment

A Cause To Depart

I am trying to undersstand how this system works.
  4. Old Comment

An Atheist's Pity

Religion is nothing but a business today. I was raised Catholic and when I became an adult I wanted no part of that or any other phony religion. I have my own personal spirituality, I don't need another person telling me a lot of BS and their congregation are no more than brainwashed cults, worshipping their ministers, rabbis, priests, among others. And at the rate you read about the pediphiles, esp. among priests, why should I believe anything they or any other try and indoctrinate into me. Religion is like politics, and I despise both.
  5. Old Comment

Boring Stuff From Pip

Hello My Dear,
    My name is Issabel, female, single, as is my pleasure to write you after viewing your profile which really interest me to have communication / friendship with you if you will have the desire with me so that we can get to know each other better shear our feeling and see what happened in future.i will be very happy if you can write me through (issabeldominic@yahoo.com) contact me directly to my email address please.
    thankss,
    Issabel
  6. Old Comment

An Atheist's Pity

Religion will not cure one's ills no matter what the faith "healers" tell you,I too was indoctrinated by ever-zealous religious nuts who would believe the sky was plaid if it was written in ancient text,but I do belive in Santa Clause,The Tooth Fairy,and The three little bears.
  7. Old Comment

It's Time To Shock My Parents

вы все здесь из америки?
  8. Old Comment
  9. Old Comment

A Potentially Perilous Christmas At The Parents

Glad to see that everything went well, Katie.

And I thank you for taking the time to make excellent contributions to our blog pages. Wonderful life stories.
  10. Old Comment
    Updated 12-20-2012 at 09:25 AM by KatieGal
  11. Old Comment

An Blog Entry Inspired By a Nooner

Nope, I don't think so.
    Updated 12-20-2012 at 09:20 AM by KatieGal
  12. Old Comment

His Name Is Cal

The syndrome of the grass always look greener on the other side. When I was younger I found myself concerned about getting serious in a relationship because I might find someone "better". Continue that attitude and you will be without anyone and it will be too late to do anything about it. There comes a point in time where you have to say "this is the person I can live the rest of my life with". Stick with Steve.
  13. Old Comment

My Experience At OKCupid

Thank you for posting you thoughts about Okcupid. I started out on match.com and left after three months. I felt the process was not for me. The problem with online dating is you don't have benefit of the chemistry that occurs between two people when they meet face-to-faced. Your experience with the guy you are dating proves that. As you said if you had read his profile online you would have rejected him.

What got to me the most (ok, ticked me off) when I was on Match was the lack of communications. When I found a profile I thought was interesting I would study the profile and write a message focused on what I found in her profile. I did not just copy and paste a canned response. I also never sent some lame response like "hi baby!". I put some time into my message. What did I get back? Nothing. I sent out 25 emails and got 3 back. Two said "sorry I found someone". One was a very simple "we are not compatible". I replied back to the three thanking them for taking the time to respond. The way I figure it if I am taking the time to be on the site and write a personal message they can at least take the time for some response. Now I did not expect to get a bunch of positive responses. If everyone of those 25 had been a positive response I would have gone crazy trying to keep up with 25 first dates. I expected 99% rejection rate. After all I just need ONE good response.

The straw that broke the Camel's back was a message I sent to a lady. I had the optional read receipt on Match. The next day I saw that she looked at my profile but NEVER opened my message. What!! Good grief. You are on the site so play the game. I dumped out of my 6 month membership at 3 months.

So a few months passed, I got bored, so I thought I would try OkCupid. Same thing going on here. No response. I found one lady where we had a very high numerical match. Something like 97% match 90% friend. One would think I would get something back on this one. I sent a short message about the match numbers. Waited, waited, waited, nothing. A month later I thought I would send another message. This time much longer and focused on her profile. Still waiting. Yes, I know I am venting. Sorry. The old fashion way of meeting people is still the best.

I will admit my profile is not the most exciting thing you are going to read. I don't play Golf, I don't own a boat, I don't watch football on Sunday. My hobbies are all technical in nature. I think men on these sites are expected to fit into a the pattern of the typical American male. If you deviate from that they look at your profile as being a weirdo. I have a picture of me in a kilt on my profile. I think that freaks out many of the profile readers. So for those trying the online dating don't get your hopes up. Get out in the real world and meet real people face-to-face.
  14. Old Comment

I am sure that their main concern is your happiness and well-being. I had an uncle that had a 'wild/weird' wife and I always heard my mother say that if he can live with her, we can live around her...

Perhaps they each have a vision of an ideal partner for you, however they know that they raised a good person that has the ability to make good decisions, therefore they will accept them.

I am also sure that your parents can 'see' happiness in your voice and such, after all, happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth! (I hope that wasn't too over the top...)

My ex-wife was 18 years younger than I was and lived in another country which added a bit of complications. (I am somewhat ashamed to say that she was 18 and I was 36 when we were married. Although quite an interesting story, I will reserve the details...)

I enjoy reading and absorbing your thoughts! You do have a talent for conveying your thoughts to others.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Ken

Edit: As I reread this, I realized that it could be interpreted different than my thoughts!
    The reference to my Uncle's wife was meaning to convey that if you love someone, you will accept them as they are, and respect their decisions... (I always rush and hate to type! I am a talker, not a typer!)
    Updated 11-30-2012 at 01:23 PM by KenFL
  15. Old Comment

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KenFL View Comment
    Well...how did it go?
    Pretty much as expected. My mother saying that "I'm sure he is a very nice man", and my father being heard only once, in the background, barking out a "tell me you're kidding," to my mother when she informs him of Steve's age. My guess is that my mother tried to cover up the phone with her hand so I would not hear my father's comment, but she wasn't quick enough. My father actually is fairly open-minded. He is in favor of gay marriage, and a few things like that. But his "little girl" is a different matter.
  16. Old Comment

Well...how did it go?
  17. Old Comment

His Name Is Cal

Hmm very very interesting
  18. Old Comment

Atheist Kate

Free will is a wonderful thing. It gives you the right to choose what you want to be, how to live your life, and that your ready to accept all consequences of your actions.

I know a lo of 'Bible Thumpers' who would jump at the chance to try and 'convert' you into believing in a GOD.
    Not realizing that the same GOD gave you the free will to make up your mind to accept HIM or not.

Still, as a Christian, I will still pray for you, as it hurts no one to do this, and if I hadnt said anything, you never would have known I did, but, as free will, I have that right to do so myself Have a Great Life....

I wish you well...

Jesse
    Posted 11-16-2012 at 02:35 PM by woodworkingmenace woodworkingmenace is offline
  19. Old Comment

A Past Birthday Gift To My Mom

It is a very liberating feeling to do a bold thing. You can learn a lot about yourself during that time. Good for you! Good luck on finding a better job with a more understanding boss.
  20. Old Comment

My Experience At OKCupid

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrk9a View Comment
    Hiii
    I got here from the thread titled "Advice for women looking for love" in the relationship forum.

I like to read about interesting experience from interesting people and I throughly enjoyed this blog.

Anyway, I have a question and I hope you would be willing to provide me with an answer:
    How did you meet your current boyfriend? I mean you had stated in your blog that you would have rejected on the face of it so how did the two of you meet?

Thanks!
    I met him in a mall parking lot something like three months ago. His name is Steve. He fixed a flat tire on my car. In payment I offered to buy him lunch. Steve wasn't too keen on the idea (he said that "compensation was not necessary") but he finally agreed. Things have kind of grown from there. He is somewhat older than me and it has made things interesting.