Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:56 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times

Advertisements

The current BMWs are funky looking. I used to like BMWs a lot. Specifically those from the late 80s-early 90's - they had a 'crispness' to their design that is missing now. Regarding this post, though, links to data would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 09:01 PM

72 posts, read 220,985 times
BMW = overpriced lease-mobile < Japanese cars are worth buying, will retain value, and more affordable to maintain.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:13 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,210,635 times
I think the reason the Infinity and Lexus might be selling better is that they cost less and are a little simpler to look at. The 5 series has really grown on me but at first glance the BMWs may seem a bit much. So the crowd looking only for a luxury brand and not really solid handling (which is the BMW strength) will go with one of the Japanese brands. Also- the Japanese brands have much better reliability reputations.

I like simple myself- so add me the white guy driving an Audi list. It does have a great interior & I like the awd.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:39 PM

143 posts, read 762,204 times
BMW has found itself with that negative yuppie douchebag image but it's cars have also become very commonplace. You see people with near minimum wage jobs in M3s all the time.

Lexus with the IS350 & ISF, Nissan/Infiniti with 370z/G37, Audi with the S4, S5... this is a competitive segment.

But also I don't think the younger generation cares as much about driving expensive cars. I see more and more wealthy kids in Honda Fits, Hyundai Sonatas, and Camrys even if they can afford -- or have owned before -- ferraris and aston martins. If they're enthusiasts they'll have a car for the track or special trips but for daily driving, people are getting more and more sensible.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:07 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,406 times
With the economy how it is now, a lot of my fellow professional friends are trading in BMW's for Civics, Altimas, Camrys, etc. I drive a Mazda 3 5-door myself. Not having a $700/month car note is great.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:24 AM

812 posts, read 4,083,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
With the economy how it is now, a lot of my fellow professional friends are trading in BMW's for Civics, Altimas, Camrys, etc. I drive a Mazda 3 5-door myself. Not having a $700/month car note is great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epik151 View Post
BMW has found itself with that negative yuppie douchebag image but it's cars have also become very commonplace. You see people with near minimum wage jobs in M3s all the time.
These exact concepts have interested me quite a bit lately, and I'm honestly trying to put my anti-Bangle bias aside to see it from a macro scale. They've had the yuppie douchebag stereotype a long time (anyone see that Audi commercial from the super bowl?), but the dynamics kept the loyalists interested, and there have been enough douchebags out there to make it still work for them, and actually grow as a brand during the Bangle era. Now that the boom is over, and since 1) the douchebags were the ones stretching to get them and are now unable and 2) others are just not seeing it as worth it, I'm curious to see how this manifests itself. I think this is why you're seeing the new F01 7er a bit tamer looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I like simple myself- so add me the white guy driving an Audi list. It does have a great interior & I like the awd.
I think the problem with automotive design recently (and it really parallels the buy-buy-gimme now attitude that has come and peaked if you think about it) is that it's also been more more more, and as BMW was the driving force behind this styling era, they're the biggest offender. I've noticed both people and press confuse understated with bland/boring/uninspired design, and as a fan of clean, understated lines, I have had a problem with so many current designs. I too have followed Audi with more and more interest over the recent years as well and like them a lot.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:01 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
The BMW has never been the "status symbol" around here for the "money crowd"....it's a crew cab 4x4 around here

Old 02-07-2009, 07:06 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
BMW just had record sales for 3 Series and M3 sales in December - I don't think he is correct.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:49 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
BMW just had record sales for 3 Series and M3 sales in December - I don't think he is correct.
The brand's global sales were down -26.4% in December 2008 (Source: BMW Group). In the US, they were down 15% for the BMW brand, 10% for all brands (Source: Reuters). North American sales of the 3 series dumped 21%, coming up short about 4500 units against December 2007 figures (Source: BMW NA).

I'm struggling to see the record sales figures for December, unless it's a record decline in sales figures for December.

For the entire year, Rolls Royce and Mini reached an all time high (Source: BMW Group). The M3 apparently had a very good year in terms of overall 2008 sales figures. Also, BMW NA reports that their market segment increased in 2008.

Interestingly, Mini brand's sales in the US posted an increase over Dec 2007.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 16,694 times
The G and IS seem like watered-down BMW alternatives for folks who either A. can't afford a BMW, or B. don't care about refined high-performance and/or the BMW aura. I also think some of Bangle's designs (especially the last z4 coupe) are aging well. For my $, BMWs seem to sit in between the harsh Nissan VQ-based cars and the softer, less connected Lexuses. (Lexi?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI