Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:30 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
What counts as a "young professional" these days anyways?

It seems that anyone who works in an office is now a professional; it's the current way to say white collar worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 09:43 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Not accurate. The Altezza was a 4 cylinder with a 6 speed. the IS 200/3500 were 6 cylinders (I-6) with 5 speeds. So there were significant changes there, not just a rebadge. The Aristo never offered a V-8 that the GS 400/430 offered. With Lexus debuting in Japan in 2006 all the models are Lexus models.
The Altezza became the IS. The Aristo became the GS, those are facts. AS200 and AS300 Altezzas were straight 6s. Japanese Aristo buyers could get a turbo 6 American GS buyers could get a V8. So. What.

OTOREVIEW.MY - Used "otomobil" review...: COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW: Toyota Altezza AS200 (Lexus IS200)/ RS200 BEAMS DUAL VVTI

Quote:
The GS was never going to get canceled, it was some media hyperbole that trolls used to run away with to bash Lexus. What was said internally is do it right or don't bother doing it. In other words "get it together" not cancel it.
Your idol, the president of Toyota was quoted as saying he didn't want the car. The soon to be cancelled Cadillac STS was beating it in sales. Sorry.
How Lexus execs rescued the GS sedan - Autoweek

Quote:
The Japanese Buick is Acura, Lexus has always offered sporty cars (SC, GS, IS) but people with the mental capacity of a grape think all Lexus models are rebadged Camry's and are not car enthusiasts.
Both Acura and Lexus have built boring cars. The Lexus Es has been referred to as a Japanses Buick on several occasions. Get over it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_893839.html
http://cars.about.com/od/2001/fr/05_pp_es330.htm

Quote:
Don't you drive a Hyundai anyway? What do you know about cars.
Your third grade grasp on putdowns fascinates me. Please, continue.

Last edited by Tourian; 12-21-2011 at 09:51 AM..

Old 12-21-2011, 11:15 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
What counts as a "young professional" these days anyways? It seems there are as many of thos running around as Tasmanian Tigers and Dodo Birds.

Lexus and BMW seem to be the exclusive purvey of well-to-do boomers around here...
LOL. In my neck of the woods:

Lexus RX-300 or BMW X5 or Volvo XC60 or what have you: well-to do 35+ families/married people

BMW 3 series or Lexus IS or or Subaru Imprezza: 20-30-something professionals from well-off families

Toyota Prius, Honda Civic, Mazda 3, VW Golf: average young professional

Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4, Honda Element, Toyota Matrix, Subaru Imprezza, Honda Fit: sporty/active young professional

Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Subaru Forester, Honda Pilot: typical middle class family.

I live in a middle to upper middle class neighborhood with a wide range of lifestyles (singles to families) and ages (20-somethings to retired). In my neighborhood, 30-35% of cars are compact hatchbacks: honda fit, prius, mazda 3, vw golf, subaru wagons, mini coopers. 20% are small SUVs: RAV-4, CRV, Forester. 15% compact to mid-size luxury cars: mainly mercedes or volvo, mostly driven by people 50+. The rest are typical sedans: civic, corolla, focus, camry.

Young people tend to drive the hatchbacks or compact cars. Families tend to have wagons or crossover SUVs. It is rare to see a car larger than midsized. The area has small garages, and people park on the street, so these are impractical.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:30 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
BMW's are really nice cars but for some reason they are really cliche'. I hate to be programmed to think something every time I see something but in the case of a BMW I do. Most of the time they are really aggressive, inconsiderate drivers behind the wheel either on the phone or texting. I wouldn't own one on general principle and I think it's sad because BMW is a great company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI