Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:27 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Here is a link for another mixed use project in Eagle. I saw the billboard along State Street advertising for it.

The River District, Eagle Idaho
Not to comment on this project, but their website is SOOOOO corny. I see the same patterns on all sorts of development websites. The same tranquil music. The peaceful images (the website for Avimor even goes as far as to show families biking and hiking through the wide open foothills, neglecting to point out that they're completely developing that area, so instead of wide open it's houses and boulevards), and "selling the dream" rhetoric. I mean, does anyone really get to live it up like they're selling it?

Again, no comment on the project, but the websites are just nauseating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 02:35 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,637 times
^^^^ Its like every other advertisement that exists in the world, its deceptive practices where they aren't actually selling you a house and a neighbourhood, they're selling you an idea, the idea that what you have is not good enough, and that your life will be much better if you pay 400,000 for a house in our developement.
its pretty sickening if you think about it.. but its no different than selling skin cream or clothing... or any other useless consumable item in this world.
I will laugh when gas hits 6-7 dollars per gallon.. and people can't afford to pay their house payments because they need gas to commute to work.
but you're right it is ridiculous..
we don't make the rules.. we just try to play the game as best we know how

Old 04-02-2008, 10:55 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Not to comment on this project, but their website is SOOOOO corny. I see the same patterns on all sorts of development websites. The same tranquil music. The peaceful images (the website for Avimor even goes as far as to show families biking and hiking through the wide open foothills, neglecting to point out that they're completely developing that area, so instead of wide open it's houses and boulevards), and "selling the dream" rhetoric. I mean, does anyone really get to live it up like they're selling it?

Again, no comment on the project, but the websites are just nauseating.
Could you imagine if the website stated that this neighborhood sucks and you really won't like it once you move in? I think the ad agency would go out of business. This is where common sense comes in and you can't believe everything you are told. The is no big deal here, just advertising.

If someone is dumb enough to believe whatever they see, they just might deserve to get screwed eventually, you know, learn 'em a lesson.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Could you imagine if the website stated that this neighborhood sucks and you really won't like it once you move in? I think the ad agency would go out of business. This is where common sense comes in and you can't believe everything you are told. The is no big deal here, just advertising.

If someone is dumb enough to believe whatever they see, they just might deserve to get screwed eventually, you know, learn 'em a lesson.

Come on, now. I realize that an ad agency isn't going to say that, and that they're hired to fully promote an area.

But that's a far cry from what they're doing - and what this ad/website specifically is doing. It's also a far cry from what I'm commenting on.

(Although I would almost pay money to see an ad negatively advertise a product, just for the honesty and forthrightness).

Old 04-02-2008, 12:49 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,717 times
"Live on the Edge! Enjoy the Threat of Flooding During a Rainy Season! All This In One of the Most Threatened Cities!"

Old 04-02-2008, 12:51 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,366 times
Point was, take it with a grain of salt. No need to raise your blood pressure over an over flattering website.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Point was, take it with a grain of salt. No need to raise your blood pressure over an over flattering website.
I don't.

But I do take a critical interest in these sorts of things, and advertising especially.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:35 PM

314 posts, read 1,217,751 times
Geez...the ad copy for that is priceless alone...it is very "blockbuster movie"-esque. I couldn't get the "stirring music" to work because my browser doesn't have the latest plugins...

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this project going to be in a populated area? So when the copy says, "Put on your waders for a quiet hour of fly-fishing"..that's going to require some ear muffs to drown out the various "city noise" like cars honking, people yelling,"Come back with my loaf of bread you bast**rd!" etc...

Old 04-02-2008, 08:13 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,717 times
Boise people aren't very loud. So I think you could enjoy the river without earmuffs. lol

Old 04-03-2008, 09:45 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times
That area of the river is heavliy wooded and quiet. There are developments on both sides, but the river in that area also has many channels and is pretty wide, full of trees, and----believe it or not, tranquil and quiet.
LOL, always funny when somebody who doesn't really know the area makes remarks such as was made a few posts back.
You can even fish in the river downtown and not hear traffic.
Remember this is Idaho, not California. People here do not generally honk their horns unless there is a need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area