Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 11:52 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times

Advertisements

Shopping in Boise just keeps getting better and the Boise area is currently one of the hottest retail growth areas in the nation. Some people may argue that these will create more traffic, which they will, but they are great examples of good infill projects. Here are stories for each new center from from a local outlet KTVB.
Both new centers are going to have stores that are new to Idaho and Boise.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories/M_IMAGE.11220589918.93.88.fa.d0.77ab7eb2.jpg (broken link)

MERIDIAN - Shoppers in the Treasure Valley will soon be offered a different kind of retail experience. Instead of a mall, what is known as a lifestyle center is planned for the town of Meridian at the intersection of Fairview and Eagle.

New lifestyle center to be built in Meridian

06:49 PM MDT on Thursday, May 17, 2007

Builders say Meridian's demographics offer a perfect area for development.

"There's lots of young families moving in and people that really appreciate this kind of experience. So it's a natural fit." says Wilk.

Builders plan to use 50 acres of land to create a more outdoor friendly environment at the Meridian Town Center, which they hope will give consumers more options.

Those options include roughly 90 high end stores and restaurants.

"It's a much more enhanced shopping experience," says Wilk. "Because of the types of stores we're looking to bring in and the types of restaurants and the type of entertainment experience we can offer."

Developers have not settled upon the price tag for the total project, but say it's substantial.

Future phases include plans for a park, town homes and other homes - as well as additional retail space.

CenterCal says building for the project should start sometime next spring and will take around two years to complete.

And yet another upscale center for Eagle from KTVB

See what’s being proposed in EAGLE - One of the west's fastest growing communities is not showing signs of slowing down.

The Eagle City Council last night approved a high-end shopping plaza that would cover 200,000 square feet.

It is what's called a lifestyle center. It will be called The Shops at Lakemoore - meaning it will have more than just shops.

Developers describe the concept as a place where people can go to hang out and be outdoors, and eat, ride their bikes and walk around.

Dennis Baker owns the land and it will house shops, a restaurant, a 4-diamond hotel, homes, offices – even a bike path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 07:10 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,988 times
I like this idea, from what I know of it.

I'd like it more if there were ample bike paths that connect neighborhoods to these centers, and if they kept a minimum amount of parking space (or else construct a subterranean garage or something).

Old 07-16-2007, 08:25 PM

46 posts, read 100,117 times
Something needs to be done about Eagle Road though... Im glad I dont live there. I agree about the bike paths etc. Nice idea!

Old 07-17-2007, 09:18 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
Rancho Cucamonga (SoCal) has a place that went in called Victoria Gardens, with planned communities surrounding it. It has an outdoor "street shopping" feel that I really liked. I think this type of shopping is way better than the classic "mega mall". 15 minutes at the Spokane Valley mall sets my teeth on edge....but then again I freely admit to having become intolerant of noisy mall-rats in my old age.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:10 AM

82 posts, read 355,083 times
It's good to see some mixed-use development going into your metro. This reduces some car dependency compared to developing these areas as separate single-use.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:37 PM
abn

27 posts, read 130,357 times
It sounds interesting and I agree with anything that can densify and cut down on the need for people to drive their cars everywhere. I hope they turn out like they are being presented though. Sometimes it seems the "high end shopping and restaurants" turn out to be just another Famous Footwear and Cheesecake Factory with no real parklike feel besides a couple of sitting benches outside the stores. I'll keep fingers crossed.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:35 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,653 times
The company that is doing the Eagle Project worked on a project somewhat near me in Corona, California. It is nice but nothing I would write home about. The stores are mostly what you would find in any other mall.

I would assume that their target market in Eagle will be very similar to the one in Corona although I've heard elsewhere they're really looking for REAL high end shops (not Banana Republic or the like - a little better). With the depressed market and no major anchor I don't know if this project will really get those shops.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:59 AM

Rumors floating around, and confirmed by some friends in the biz, is that there will be very nice upscale stores in the Eagle development which are all new to Idaho. There isn't a depressed market here in Boise area and the Boise metro area is still booming with commercial/retail construction and new stores. The local news reported recently that the Meridian center is almost ready to start construction as well.
Anthropologie has opened in downtown Boise which is in the midst of a more upscale retail boom, downtown has definately arrived and is a shopping destination in itself. We ofter hear that the Boise area is ripe for retail expansion as it is going on everywhere, just drive 5 minutes in any direction and you will notice all of the activity. The new center in Eagle will do just fine as long as the economy doesn't collapse. Eagle has quite a few new upscale locally owned boutique shops with clothing for both sexes, and the foodie/fine dining scene is really taking off. It is almost a whole different city (referring to Eagle) than it was a year ago.
Don't sell it short by assuming

Old 02-28-2008, 10:43 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Rumors floating around, and confirmed by some friends in the biz, is that there will be very nice upscale stores in the Eagle development which are all new to Idaho. There isn't a depressed market here in Boise area and the Boise metro area is still booming with commercial/retail construction and new stores. The local news reported recently that the Meridian center is almost ready to start construction as well.
Anthropologie has opened in downtown Boise which is in the midst of a more upscale retail boom, downtown has definately arrived and is a shopping destination in itself. We ofter hear that the Boise area is ripe for retail expansion as it is going on everywhere, just drive 5 minutes in any direction and you will notice all of the activity. The new center in Eagle will do just fine as long as the economy doesn't collapse. Eagle has quite a few new upscale locally owned boutique shops with clothing for both sexes, and the foodie/fine dining scene is really taking off. It is almost a whole different city (referring to Eagle) than it was a year ago.
Don't sell it short by assuming
Re: downtown Boise -

It's six of one, half dozen of another. It's certainly growing lately, and there are an enormous amount of plans for new buildings and businesses in the area.

However, much of downtown Boise is still having problems, for many reasons. Many of the buildings are empty, have been "for lease" for many years, and many of the rebuild projects have gone upside down (the condos in the Zen Bento building, for example).

I have it from a source that many of the buildings downtown are tax shelters, of sorts, and the owners really don't care if the spaces are leased or not.

Also, a great portion of the land west of 16th st, on Main and Fairview, are tied up in various ways and will probably remain overgrown parking lots for another five or ten years. I never quite understood why this region hasn't been the focus of growth, with its proximity to downtown, the freeway, and the river. I guess they're putting up a new medical center, but that's about it.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:10 AM

Default forgive my lengthy post:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Re: downtown Boise -

It's six of one, half dozen of another. It's certainly growing lately, and there are an enormous amount of plans for new buildings and businesses in the area.

However, much of downtown Boise is still having problems, for many reasons. Many of the buildings are empty, have been "for lease" for many years, and many of the rebuild projects have gone upside down (the condos in the Zen Bento building, for example).

I have it from a source that many of the buildings downtown are tax shelters, of sorts, and the owners really don't care if the spaces are leased or not.

Also, a great portion of the land west of 16th st, on Main and Fairview, are tied up in various ways and will probably remain overgrown parking lots for another five or ten years. I never quite understood why this region hasn't been the focus of growth, with its proximity to downtown, the freeway, and the river. I guess they're putting up a new medical center, but that's about it.
Correct, there are some buildings that have had retail and/or office space for lease for awhile such as The Alaska Center and a few spaces on Idaho Street where Anthropologie went in. The company who owns that block says that more retail is on the way soon to The Mode and adjacent buildings. I guess we will see, there are a lot of promises and plans floating around out there.
For the most part downtown from Old Boise, 5th Street to 12 Street, State to Bodo is really quite healthy and packed with shops and such. Boise sure does leave other similar regional cities such as Spokane and Salt Lake in the dust when it comes to downtown vibrancy, those other two cities often look to Boise as an example of what we have done to make our downtown glow. The further West past the main downtown core (16th Street) there are a lot more spaces for lease as you mentioned. One thing I notice about downtown is that if a restaurant closes, or an office moves spaces, the newly created vacant spaces are usually filled quickly with a new restaurant or retail/office.
Here's some interesting info from Downtown Boise Association - Welcome to Downtown Boise!

NEW TO DOWNTOWN 2007
The following businesses are new to downtown:

LUX Vintage - 225 N 5th St
Ella’s Room - 413 S 8th St Ste B
Urban Outfitters - 328 S 8th St
Shoe Fetish - 310 N 9th St
Boise Art Glass - 530 W Myrtle St
Mack & Charlie’s - 507 W Main St
See Jane Run - 814 W Idaho St
Fancy Pants - 825 W Idaho St
The Deluxe- 214 N 9th St
A Taste of Memphis Restaurant- 712 W Idaho St
Decore Furniture Concepts- 1021 W Main St
Chef Lou's @ 8th St- 409 S 8th St
Belle Boutique- 220 N 9th St
Anthropologie- 822 W Idaho Street (opening soon!)
Old Spaghetti Factory- 610 W Idaho St (Now Open!)
Chandler's Steakhouse- 981 Grove St (Now Open!)
The Metro Cafe- 981 Grove St (Now Open!)

Under New Ownership
Charley the Pet Boutique- 160 N 8th St
Aphrodite's Garden at Boise Floral- 765 W Idaho St
Karen Louise- 625 W Main St
Ceramica - 510 W Main St
Le Poulet Rouge - 106 N 6 th St
River City Bagel & Bakery is now Alia's Coffeehouse- 908 W Main St
Holland Gallery - 409 S 8th St. 101

51,000 people live downtown and near downtown in the surrounding neighborhoods: Highlands, Boise Heights, West Downtown, North End, Downtown, East End, Central Rim, Depot Bench and South Boise Village.(Source City of Boise January, 2006)

Currently 36,212 employees work downtown. (Highlands, Boise Heights, West Downtown, North End, Downtown, East End, Central Rim, Depot Bench and South Boise Village) (Source – City of Boise, January 2006)

Major Downtown Employers: JR Simplot Company – Agriculture (Corp HQ); US Bank – Financial (Regional HQ); Boise Cascade - Wood Products (Corp HQ); Idaho Power – Utility; Qwest – Telecommunications (Regional HQ); Wells Fargo – Financial (Regional HQ); Key Bank Corp – Financial (Regional HQ); CSHQA – Architects; Idaho State Offices – Government; Ada County Courthouse – Government; Boise City Offices – Government

120 retail shops - a great mix of specialty stores, art galleries and much more.
116 restaurants & nightclubs - including comedy, dance clubs, live music venues, and fine dining.
83 Business & Retail Services
25 Arts & Entertainment Facilities

Pretty impressive numbers for a smaller city like Boise. But there is always room for improvement, such as a Piano Lounge/Bar, a few more book stores
I feel the same way about the area West of 16th. Imagine how large downtown would be if and when that area redevelops. So much density could be created there with condos, apartments, etc. That area is a goldmine for would be developers. The city and CCDC should really start pushing for developing that area of town.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 02-28-2008 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area