Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 31,581 times

Advertisements

I've done some initial research on Boise neighborhoods but would love to hear more about the differences in neighborhoods. We may be relocating not entirely by choice but looking at a great job opportunity. We're excited about the lower cost of living and strong schools system but will certainly miss "city life". I have a good feel of North End and sounds like it might be the closest thing to what we're looking for but we're open to other neighboorhoods. The tree lined streets and renovated homes sound very appealing, but having lived in a renovated home, it never seems to be fully renovated There is always another project in the future. We certainly love the character of older homes but would be happy with a newly constructed home with the characteristics of an older style home. Our budget would be around $600k (4 bedrooms). We have small children so a good school district is a must. We want to be close to restaurants, coffee shops, parks and don't want to feel isolated but don't need to be in walking distance either. Someone threw out Highlands area as an option that is close to downtown but in the hills.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 03:50 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,709,557 times
You can definitely find new construction in the Northend for under $600k.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:22 PM

863 posts, read 2,994,363 times
No End IS nice, but a real mix. You'll find nicely renovated homes next to ones that haven't been touched in 20 years. With your budget, you can find a NICE home pretty much in any part of town. Hidden Springs started nice, craftsman homes, further out of town and trying to create a sense of community. Harris Ranch and Bown Crossing in SE Boise have similar new-er craftsmanstyle homes, closer to downtown. I have always lived in SE Boise, so I don;t know much about Eagle Meridian except that they have horrendous traffic. Boise and adjoining cities place a value on parks. They are all over, that shouldn't be a problem. Our schools are struggling with lower property values many programs have been cut, but that is not entirely unique to Boise.

Speaking as a transplant living here for 20 years but originally from outside of Seattle by way of OC, (call me a city girl married to a country boy) you are either IN Boise or NOT in Boise. I still miss the city and have to get on a plane and outta here occasionally.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:56 PM

679 posts, read 813,018 times
With 600k to spend, you could buy almost anyting you wanted in Boise. Right now those 600k homes in 07 are now selling for less than half that. I would look at East Boise or the North End if you're looking for craftsman style. Maybe buy a 300k home and put some money into updates?

Old 07-30-2010, 12:05 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,808 times
With that budget I'd be looking SOLELY at these areas:

Highlands: I'd stick to areas northeast of Hill Rd. and Bogus Basin Road, in the foothills (obviously). Homes run along the footies clear over to 8th St and then a little south off of Reserve and Table Rock/Shaw Mtn Road. Perhaps not new construction but not old craftsman either - spectacular views and access to trails.

East end off of Warm Springs: this area will connect with the Highlands homes just north. Homes are a bit older, but the neighborhood is beautiful and established, and close to everything. Stay clear of Warm Springs (very busy).

North End right near Camelsback Park or Hyde Park: you get the amazing neighborhood and atmosphere, close to most things, but the homes will almost exclusively be older. However, this is about as "neighborly" as you'll get, as you can walk and bike everywhere, and there are always people out and about.

East end/Se Boise but ONLY along the river and Greenbelt: newer homes, more typical subdivisions, but access to the Greenbelt and River, and it stays much cooler year round. I prefer the river to the foothills, so this would be a strong choice for me. However, with newer development comes some of the typical living situations, meaning more people drive places, and there is less people outdoors in the neighborhood. In other words, it doesn't feel as "alive" as the North End. A spectacular but overlooked area is Parkway Drive off of Pennsylvania and Londoner.

Bench directly on Kootenei, between Vista and Latah. Gorgeous homes. But that's about it.

The "Central Rim" area - access to the Greenbelt, freeway, downtown, Morris Hill dog park, and the mall. Underrated neighborhood.

I wouldn't even consider any of the other neighborhoods, especially toward Eagle, Meridian, or SW Boise.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:32 PM

424 posts, read 1,379,855 times
I concur with that kind of budget you can pretty much take your pick of any neighborhood. The Warm Springs area gets my vote and will put you right in the middle of the best public schools in the Boise area. Lots of older but well maintained homes here (important since most new construction is garbage).

Old 05-03-2011, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,570 times
I'm looking to move to the Boise area and was hoping for an update. Where did you decide to live? Are you happy there? I have a kindergartener and a third grader. Any recommendations on schools?

Old 05-04-2011, 11:44 AM

424 posts, read 1,379,855 times
Anywhere in the 83712, 83702, 83706 or 83716 zip codes would be my recommendations for the best schools. 712 will put you in Adams and Roosevelt Elementary boundaries, North and East Junior High Boundaries and Boise High School Boundaries. All those schools are considered among the best public schools in the treasure valley.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:24 PM

5 posts, read 14,337 times
Default update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyk98 View Post
I'm looking to move to the Boise area and was hoping for an update. Where did you decide to live? Are you happy there? I have a kindergartener and a third grader. Any recommendations on schools?
My husband and I are moving to Boise with a 4th grader, 1st grader and kinder - where did you choose? Do you know much about Adams or Roosevelt? I toured Highlands and loved it. . .

Old 06-19-2011, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 14,337 times
did you end up in Boise? where did you land? my family is trying to figure out where to be with about the same budget
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: