Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 12:50 AM

774 posts, read 1,778,712 times

Advertisements

Boise has a lot of Mormons too? What %-age?

Old 05-23-2013, 02:44 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,343,712 times
Do you mean social security disability? That's a national program, not local, and the criteria to meet the eligibility requirements is the same in every state and in every city. It's known as SSD, and is an earned income program, exactly like social security. It is funded by payroll tax contributions when people worked, and is not "an entitlement" program. Money from it IS social security money. SSI is a different program and not funded that way. However, the requirements for eligibility are exactly the same as SSD. SSI is for disabled people who did not work enough to have enough money paid in to collect SSD. Most, if not all. of the people that I know on either of these are not lay abouts, they have serious problems. Getting it is often a long and ardous journey full of government red tape and not-very-well trained federal workers. The whole process is set up to stall and discourage applicants. I know people that finally just gave up and went to live in a tent, despite their health issues. They're steadily declining in health. Before labeling people, perhaps take the time to find out what is actually going on with them.

Last edited by smarino; 05-23-2013 at 02:56 AM..

Old 05-23-2013, 07:18 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
Boise has a lot of Mormons too? What %-age?
I believe the Boise area is around 15% Mormon. I suppose it's proabably a little lower than that in Boise itself and a little higher in Meridian and Eagle, but of course there will be variation in specific neighborhoods.

FWIW, I live in the SE Meridian/W Boise area and none of my neighbors are LDS. One of our neighbors at our last house was LDS but it didn't matter - they were a really nice family and good neighbors.

The Mormon influence in the Treasure Valley is minimal to non-existent. Southeast Idaho or Utah is another story.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:52 PM

861 posts, read 1,063,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Do you mean social security disability? That's a national program, not local, and the criteria to meet the eligibility requirements is the same in every state and in every city. It's known as SSD, and is an earned income program, exactly like social security. It is funded by payroll tax contributions when people worked, and is not "an entitlement" program. Money from it IS social security money. SSI is a different program and not funded that way. However, the requirements for eligibility are exactly the same as SSD. SSI is for disabled people who did not work enough to have enough money paid in to collect SSD. Most, if not all. of the people that I know on either of these are not lay abouts, they have serious problems. Getting it is often a long and ardous journey full of government red tape and not-very-well trained federal workers. The whole process is set up to stall and discourage applicants. I know people that finally just gave up and went to live in a tent, despite their health issues. They're steadily declining in health. Before labeling people, perhaps take the time to find out what is actually going on with them.
In the general sense you seem to be inferring, you are correct. I'm speaking of the exceptions, and there are plenty in Oregon. Most of these deadbeats paid little into the system. There are lawyers and state workers that "coach" them through the process, and "steer" you to co-operative physicians, including psychologists. My wife was a postal clerk and recalls at least twice a week she would process Certified mailings for marijuana cards. Some were in their teens. You think they will be productive workers some day? You won't convince me there aren't cracks in the system, at least here. It all started years ago, when our Doctor governor initiated a state health plan. This system has always been predicated on the need for a very large segment of the population signed up. And now he's back in office again.
Maybe you need to do some research on Oregon's situation, which I was referring to. And No, I wasn't necessarily referring to SS, but in Oregon, the "process" can, and too often does, lead to SS disability.

Last edited by wolfdog; 05-23-2013 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 05-24-2013, 01:30 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,697,470 times
Just curious- almost everyone I spoke to told me that crime is not in Boise. Like Gangs, bad areas to avoid, all the bad stuff. Is that true- non-existent? Does that go for just Boise? Or Meridian, eagle, nampa and so on?

I would think there has to be crime in every city and areas you just have to stay out of.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:22 AM

35 posts, read 66,377 times
Of course there is crime in Boise, just like in any town. Everyone just has their own threshold they adhere to, when categorizing whether a town has a crime problem or not. There is crime in Boise and surrounding areas, but it hasn't gotten to a point that it's really considered a problem. (My description based on my own threshold.)

Old 05-24-2013, 08:16 AM

863 posts, read 2,993,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Just curious- almost everyone I spoke to told me that crime is not in Boise. Like Gangs, bad areas to avoid, all the bad stuff. Is that true- non-existent? Does that go for just Boise? Or Meridian, eagle, nampa and so on?

I would think there has to be crime in every city and areas you just have to stay out of.
There is crime in Boise (there's crime everywhere) and there are gangs. My sons can tell you the names of the two in our part of town. HOWEVER, if you don't run in those groups you wouldn't know it. I'd say there is VERY little violent assult crime towards strangers. You pretty much never hear of it. Maybe an altercation at a bar here and there. All said, Boise is pretty safe. I've talked with others and we agreed, all parts of town are safe if you needed to walk a couple blocks after dark. But like any situation, you need to be smart.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:10 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,697,470 times
I did not ask the question properly. What I should have asked is where are the crime areas? What streets shoudl be avoided, areas? Like here in las vegas- i could tell you which cross streets not to drive thru. Like that for example. Where are the drive by shootings? If that happens in Boise/Nampa or wherever. Which neighborhoods would you say to avoid? School that have criminal issues, gang wars?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by percydaman View Post
Of course there is crime in Boise, just like in any town. Everyone just has their own threshold they adhere to, when categorizing whether a town has a crime problem or not. There is crime in Boise and surrounding areas, but it hasn't gotten to a point that it's really considered a problem. (My description based on my own threshold.)

Old 05-24-2013, 07:22 PM

24 posts, read 66,036 times
My take on the idea that there isn't any significant crime in Boise is simply saying that, "this ain't Houston, Los Angeles, Oakland, Dallas....etc." or any of those other cities that you always see on COPS.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:17 PM

861 posts, read 1,063,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinDUBrow View Post
My take on the idea that there isn't any significant crime in Boise is simply saying that, "this ain't Houston, Los Angeles, Oakland, Dallas....etc." or any of those other cities that you always see on COPS.
That's funny, because Cops, or a show like that, actually had a segment from Boise not too long ago. Domestic violence, if I recall. They were arguing about which one liked Boise better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area