Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 04:34 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,007 times

Advertisements

Don't go to Walmart LOL.

Anyways, those "types" of people you are referring to look, dress, and act the same here as they do in the rest of the Intermountain West and Northwest and a fair number of those "types" you saw in Walmart probably moved here from California. There is a lot more of "that" in Portland and Seattle regardless if you're downtown or in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 06:00 PM

731 posts, read 957,845 times
When I go to WM, it's either the one on Franklin and Idaho Center, or 12th...both in Nampa.

If one were to classify people (and really, why?) I'd have to say the WM on Franklin seems a bit more, what's the right word..."together". A bit cleaner (actually both are pretty decent in that respect), larger and the shoppers seem like nice, normal, down-to-earth people who are spending their hard earned money.

The location on 12th, I've seen a few folks, who from outward appearances, I'd not want to get on the bad side of. But, appearances are just the surface, they may have been angels for all I know!

And here is the clincher - a banana is a banana is a banana - no matter where you buy it. Get the best price!

Old 08-02-2015, 07:55 PM

91 posts, read 165,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenfan View Post
I'm not going to say "Deal with it," but like it or not it's part of the makeup of the environment you moved to. I'm curious what area you actually settled in.
Boise is an experiment for me. Giving it 1 year. If not, it's going to be a pain....but I'm sure I can figure out a way back to Ca. I have a lot of friends out there and finding a decent job in my area of expertise shouldn't be too hard.

With that being said....I moved to an apartment complex down by the river. It's a "new-ish" complex. I did this because for the past 5 years, and outside of hanging with a close group of friends at bars/lunches/etc....I have pretty much been a hermit crab. I own my own business and I work from home. I grew tired of the fake attitudes and all the b.s. that OC had to offer (as well as a few ex gf's and trying to avoid drama when I go out for drinks at night). Yeah not everyone out there is like that....but the older I got, the more jaded I got. Probably not such a good idea in hindsight.

So the reason I moved here instead of Meridian is because it would put me smack dab in the middle of where people my age (or thereabouts) are. Meridian seemed too "sanitary" for my tastes. I'm single and family areas bore me. No excitement.

Where I currently live, only a few minute drive to downtown and the bars there. I'm hoping to find other people my age who are professionals to socialize with. I'm going to force myself to come out of my proverbial shell and see what happens.

I realize there is a "poor" element here in Boise, and I don't judge people and I treat everyone equally. But I tend to fit in best around other educated, intelligent people.

Right now I'm definitely seeing the "small town" aspect of Boise. I'm coming into this with an open mind so not sure what will happen.

This move could have been any other city/state in America. I chose Boise because the people seemed friendly and there is a lot of outdoor stuff to do here.

I may or may not have to look for a full time job because technically speaking I don't work a full 8 hour day. 1-2 hours tops. I can still make money on the internet while I'm sitting behind a desk working an honest 40 hour week for some other company in Boise.

That was the other reason why I got burnt out on Orange County....I spend a day or two creating/setting up a website and that's it. In a few months it starts getting traffic from Google and the money starts flowing in. So I had all this free time on my hands and I got into all sorts of trouble/etc and pissing away money on frivolities such as cars and whatever else. That's the other reason I chose Boise....it seems as if nobody is about the money/status, as they are in OC. Want to see how that works out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Don't go to Walmart LOL.

Anyways, those "types" of people you are referring to look, dress, and act the same here as they do in the rest of the Intermountain West and Northwest and a fair number of those "types" you saw in Walmart probably moved here from California. There is a lot more of "that" in Portland and Seattle regardless if you're downtown or in the suburbs.
Yeah, Walmart has **** quality products...they're forcing their vendors to cut costs so hard...that they are using subpar materials in the mfg of their products, and it shows.

I like to hunt and fish and I'm 100% sure I will encounter "those types" and I will do my best to fit in with them. I can WT it up with the best of them (I got a ton of anti-Obama jokes to tell that I'm sure will ingratiate me with the best of them)

Old 08-02-2015, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,521 times
We moved east of Boise 5 years ago from California to a more rural area which some people suggest. We tried very hard to blend in, but people don't care. Once they hear you are from California they don't like you. They are ignorant, judgmental, lazy and bitter. Realize that Idaho schools test 50th (the very bottom) of all states so that gives you an idea. They will wave and be friendly in the stores, but that's it. We left California because of the crowds and pollution and have lived a quiet rural lifestyle here, but no social life unless we want to convert to Mormonism, which we don't. We are quite humored by the reality that so many southern Idahoans are HUGE BSU/Bronco fans but fail to realize that the majority of the football team are from California!! It is too hot here also. This heat is the norm for the summer here. If you don't like the heat, I hope you like wind! The fall and spring are VERY windy. We won't stay here - as soon as we sell the house/small farm we are living on we will be long gone!

Old 08-02-2015, 11:10 PM

229 posts, read 706,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiasucks View Post
Boise is an experiment for me. Giving it 1 year. If not, it's going to be a pain....but I'm sure I can figure out a way back to Ca. I have a lot of friends out there and finding a decent job in my area of expertise shouldn't be too hard.

With that being said....I moved to an apartment complex down by the river. It's a "new-ish" complex. I did this because for the past 5 years, and outside of hanging with a close group of friends at bars/lunches/etc....I have pretty much been a hermit crab. I own my own business and I work from home. I grew tired of the fake attitudes and all the b.s. that OC had to offer (as well as a few ex gf's and trying to avoid drama when I go out for drinks at night). Yeah not everyone out there is like that....but the older I got, the more jaded I got. Probably not such a good idea in hindsight.

So the reason I moved here instead of Meridian is because it would put me smack dab in the middle of where people my age (or thereabouts) are. Meridian seemed too "sanitary" for my tastes. I'm single and family areas bore me. No excitement.

Where I currently live, only a few minute drive to downtown and the bars there. I'm hoping to find other people my age who are professionals to socialize with. I'm going to force myself to come out of my proverbial shell and see what happens.

I realize there is a "poor" element here in Boise, and I don't judge people and I treat everyone equally. But I tend to fit in best around other educated, intelligent people.

Right now I'm definitely seeing the "small town" aspect of Boise. I'm coming into this with an open mind so not sure what will happen.

This move could have been any other city/state in America. I chose Boise because the people seemed friendly and there is a lot of outdoor stuff to do here.

I may or may not have to look for a full time job because technically speaking I don't work a full 8 hour day. 1-2 hours tops. I can still make money on the internet while I'm sitting behind a desk working an honest 40 hour week for some other company in Boise.

That was the other reason why I got burnt out on Orange County....I spend a day or two creating/setting up a website and that's it. In a few months it starts getting traffic from Google and the money starts flowing in. So I had all this free time on my hands and I got into all sorts of trouble/etc and pissing away money on frivolities such as cars and whatever else. That's the other reason I chose Boise....it seems as if nobody is about the money/status, as they are in OC. Want to see how that works out as well.
Finding living arrangements near downtown was the right call. Being near the heart and soul of the city would be your best as a single person in an environment that's so family-oriented. It's what kept me going as far as keeping my life interesting, as well as various parts on the Bench and the nearby mountains with a plethora of outdoor activities at my disposal (the general friendliness of people citywide did help too). I couldn't imagine being single and living in Meridian. I think it would've sucked the life out of me.

You just got there, so you're still in the "I can't believe I'm living here now" phase. A year might be enough to get the general gist of it. For me it took longer (it took at least a year for it to finally feel like my true home), but mileage will vary. The singles market is tougher than OC, but I assume you were aware of that. If the opportunity to start a family presents itself, I think the area is generally a wonderful place to do that. If not, with singlehood and no children comes freedom and the ability to move on. I would look at that positively even though you may not meet the right person. It gave me the ability to have an unrivaled life experience in a different country at an age where most wouldn't consider living abroad save for retirement reasons. Nothing wrong with you wanting to see and experience different environments even if the situation doesn't ultimately work out. In the meantime just make sure you make the most of your experience there so there will be no regrets or second-guessing if you do ever consider leaving. I'm rather surprised you would even fathom the thought of going back to California given what you've said in the past. The only city I can remotely think of that would be more in line with your belief system would be Redding. But if the "small town" vibe sticks with you in a city whose metro area alone is twice the size of Redding, how effective would Redding be?

Hanging around certain downtown bars and clubs, you will invariably come across scenesters and the status-conscious, but it's such a drop in the hat that it's easily avoidable.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:58 AM

742 posts, read 1,128,502 times
Counted another 45 plates this weekend; Saturday was in and about downtown, and Sunday was driving up to Cascade and back. At one point we saw about 10 in the span on 5 minutes heading down into the canyon.

Also, on Saturday we saw a dog peeing on the wheels of some Range Rover with California plates near the Record Exchange. We thought that was apropos!

This is a fun new game; thanks for the inspiration!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:02 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Oh my.

There were a lot of people here over this last week and weekend from California for Jaialdi. Plus, Idaho attracts tourists....for, whitewater, Boise, Sun Valley, mountain biking, hot springs, camping, hiking, McCall, etc. etc. etc.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:07 AM

742 posts, read 1,128,502 times
Side topic: why would there be a lot of Californians for Jaialdi? Are there a lot of Basques living in Cali? I know most people don't even know what Basque is, let alone the Jaialdi festival, so it's not a particularly notorious attraction unless you are or know of Basque people and culture.

I know Reno has a fairly sizable Basque population, but never heard anything (either way) about Basques in California.

Serious questions.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:11 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
California, in addition to Idaho is known to have a lot of Basque's.
Sacramento. Bakersfield.

If you are Basque and living in the western USA, you know about Jaialdi.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:18 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
Side topic: why would there be a lot of Californians for Jaialdi? Are there a lot of Basques living in Cali? I know most people don't even know what Basque is, let alone the Jaialdi festival, so it's not a particularly notorious attraction unless you are or know of Basque people and culture.

I know Reno has a fairly sizable Basque population, but never heard anything (either way) about Basques in California.

Serious questions.
I think there are some Basques living in the Chino area, which is in SoCal. Not sure how large a population it is though. Historically there was quite a bit of ranching in the area, most of that is gone now but I think some still remains. There is at least one Basque restaurant in Chino that I know of.

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area