Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,483,283 times

Advertisements

They all do it I think.

I'd list some examples but do not want to criticize my favorite authors on a public forum.

I often wonder what is happening to the life of a best selling author that may affect whether they write a masterpiece. Or a stinker.

Are their studies on this? Theories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 01:18 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,331,766 times
I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with what is happening in their personal lives, although of course it can. I think mediocre books happen for a number of reasons - a publisher who is pushing hard to get a book out on the heels of a best seller, or the writer himself who tries too hard to write something to at least equal the standard of his previous book and therefore fails.

I've heard writers lament that the worst thing that can happen to a writer is to have a best seller/critically acclaimed book right out of the starting gate, with their first novel. Because where do you have to go from there? Both readers and critics expect something even more spectacular with the next book.

Nothing can ever be perfect, so mediocre books are bound to happen to the best of them.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with what is happening in their personal lives, although of course it can. I think mediocre books happen for a number of reasons - a publisher who is pushing hard to get a book out on the heels of a best seller, or the writer himself who tries too hard to write something to at least equal the standard of his previous book and therefore fails.

I've heard writers lament that the worst thing that can happen to a writer is to have a best seller/critically acclaimed book right out of the starting gate, with their first novel. Because where do you have to go from there? Both readers and critics expect something even more spectacular with the next book.

Nothing can ever be perfect, so mediocre books are bound to happen to the best of them.
Absolute Power by David Baldacci comes to mind. His next book, Total Control, was also very enjoyable. I bought The Winner and could never get into it, never finished it. It seemed PC to me and I do not admire Thought Police.

He kind of writes formula books, they usually have CIA/FBI/SS types....or ex's of these services. Very talented writer though I think he freely imbibes in tea served by the FBI. Maybe he likes to get info from them?

Used to write once/year and has stepped it up to twice/year. I think he has kept the quality on a high level. Though I'd like to tell him some of the other stuff that FBI does. He probably knows but what do you do? Suspense novels need a hero?

Readers are awfully harsh in my opinion. If a book is not custom made for their *own* preference, they will nuke it. I firmly believe that most intellectuals are improperly socialized.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:14 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Nobody's perfect.

I really liked most of Dennis Lehane's work. Mystic River was brilliant, and he's written some other good ones too. But I thought Shutter Island was a piece of poo-doo. I've seen better executed plot twists during the last 2 minutes of an episode of Scooby-Doo.

And Stephen King is the king of hit and miss. He's written some masterpieces, some so-so books, and some downright stinkers.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:10 PM

It is hard to beat Clive Cussler for feeling like you are living through a great adventure. Then he started dropping the character that all of his fans liked so much....Dirk Pitt. Started slapping his name on less than stellar adventure novels that were largely written by mediocre talents.

He still cranks out a great adventure periodically but the consistency is gone. Volume is way up. He is going to the bank. Frequently.

One just has to make sure that the words "With ________ ________" are not on the front cover. Unless you are easy to please.

I want my novels to be written at a higher level than I could do. I could probably write novels but they wouldn't be that great. All of the women would be knock-outs. I'd get lynched.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:12 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,844,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Nobody's perfect.

I really liked most of Dennis Lehane's work. Mystic River was brilliant, and he's written some other good ones too. But I thought Shutter Island was a piece of poo-doo. I've seen better executed plot twists during the last 2 minutes of an episode of Scooby-Doo.

And Stephen King is the king of hit and miss. He's written some masterpieces, some so-so books, and some downright stinkers.
I have to agree with you on SK, and I loved Tom Clancy until he became a "franchise" and started putting out books under the TOM CLANCY byline .....by other authors "from an idea/concept by Tom Clancy". Erm either write the d*** things yourself or give it up already.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:35 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,334,293 times
Harold Robbins comes to mind. His early books were truly good books but later on he started churning out trash.

I also liked Andrew Greeley's earlier stuff but when he went all mystical I no longer cared for his books. I really loved his Father Blackie Ryan books in the early days.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:45 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,331,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I have to agree with you on SK, and I loved Tom Clancy until he became a "franchise" and started putting out books under the TOM CLANCY byline .....by other authors "from an idea/concept by Tom Clancy". Erm either write the d*** things yourself or give it up already.
Wow! I didn't know that had happened. I remember that I loved The Hunt for Red October and then I read one book of Clancy's after that, didn't like it much, read some reviews at the time and the reviewers didn't seem to like it much either and haven't read him again.

But I thought The Hunt for Red October was spectacular.

Some writers only have one book in them. And some writers should just write that one book and then give it up. I am not saying Clancy is one of them because I have only read the two books.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Wow! I didn't know that had happened. I remember that I loved The Hunt for Red October and then I read one book of Clancy's after that, didn't like it much, read some reviews at the time and the reviewers didn't seem to like it much either and haven't read him again.

But I thought The Hunt for Red October was spectacular.

Some writers only have one book in them. And some writers should just write that one book and then give it up. I am not saying Clancy is one of them because I have only read the two books.
I'm not sure what to make of reviews. I go to Amazon, the vast majority of the books are reviewed as somewhere in between three and four stars. I also believe that a lot of people will give a book one star without reading it. They just don't like something about the author or the books message.

The Hour Game by David Baldacci only netted an overall three star rating at Amazon. I thought it was brilliant. A lot of people thought it was too complicated and nuked it for that reason. I thought I got more for my money.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:01 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,376,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Harold Robbins comes to mind. His early books were truly good books but later on he started churning out trash.

I also liked Andrew Greeley's earlier stuff but when he went all mystical I no longer cared for his books. I really loved his Father Blackie Ryan books in the early days.
I know what you mean. Yuck . Alice Hoffman = Queen of Mysticism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books