Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:02 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

The original Nook uses eInk like the Kindle. The Nook Color is backlit like the iPad...Really just depends on how you will use it. Pluses and minuses to both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 02:21 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
RJRobb beings up an excellent point. In a library there is likely to be much more of a browsing elements, leaving more to the happy discovery. I get the feeling that with e-books, it will be more of choosing books in advance, being less open to accidentally branching out.
I browse plenty of books on Amazon and have found many "accidentally". I love my Kindle but can easily see why people like having a physical book too. My thoughts:

1. The clicking doesn't destroy the flow for me. No more than turning a page does.
2. You can get classics for free from many places and I have never noticed a problem with the formatting that has been large enough to detract from my enjoyment of the book.
3. For me, I like having my entire library right there and I can carry it with me everywhere. So much easier on vacation to just have the device instead of several books. It also keeps books from being lost. In addition, if you try to purchase the same book from Amazon it warns you that you are doing so.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:29 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The iPad, like all tablet computers, is backlit so if you find looking at a computer screen too long strains your eyes, you'd be better off with an eInk device. But if you're okay reading for long periods on a computer screen and you're thinking about buying the iPad anyway, for the other features, it would be a good option for you. Keep in mind it's pretty heavy compared to eInk devices and the battery life is shorter. I have both an iPad and a Kindle - I use my Kindle for reading books but the iPad for reading magazines and newspapers.

This is exactly my experience. I use my Kindle for any book reading and iPad for casual reading.

I subscribe to a daily email that lists free Kindle books available and have found tons of new books that way. I currently have more books on my Kindle than I will be able to read before the end of the year.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:33 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,650 times
The only way I'll ever be an e-book reader is when physical books disappear. Nothing can replace curling up with an actual book, holding it and turning the pages.

If you get a jelly stain from your peanut butter and jelly sandwich on a page of the book you're reading, you have little memory. If you get a jelly stain on your e-book reader, you're cussing up a storm.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:45 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
I bought DH one a couple of years ago, and he's never used it. I took it back and tried loading library downloads on it (you can with the other readers), but Kindle doesn't allow it.

If you have to have a reader, find one that allows you to download library materials as well as purchased. It's true that you can get free downloads, but usually they are not what you will want to read.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:23 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
If you get a jelly stain from your peanut butter and jelly sandwich on a page of the book you're reading, you have little memory. If you get a jelly stain on your e-book reader, you're cussing up a storm.
I have never gotten food on either a paper book or my Kindle (but such carelessness is the reason I stopped using library books or used books). Regardless, there are covers and other easy ways to protect an ereader from such elements (a simple ziplock bag while eating will do the trick). Meanwhile, an ereader is easier to hold one handed while you eat so for me personally, I much prefer reading my Kindle while eating than a paper book.

And a cover/ziplock will protect the ereader in situations where you might be cursing up a storm with your paper book - say you're reading in a bath and you drop your book. It might be okay to read again once it's dried out (but maybe not) but you'll have to put reading aside while it does. Drop an ereader inside a simple ziplock bag in the bath and you just wipe it dry and carry on reading.

I'm not trying to convince you to get an ereader - just pointing out that your criticism in this case isn't really a fair assessment because there are not only easy solutions to such problems but there are also benefits over paper books.

Quote:
I bought DH one a couple of years ago, and he's never used it. I took it back and tried loading library downloads on it (you can with the other readers), but Kindle doesn't allow it.
Once again, Kindle have announced that they will be adding library ebook support later this year.

Quote:
It's true that you can get free downloads, but usually they are not what you will want to read.
That may be true for you but it's not for everyone.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:14 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
I find the Kindle easier to hold than a real book as well. It's easier to read while eating or laying in bed. You can click the page turner with either thumb on either side of the kindle easy enough. I am an avid reader and the Kindle has improved the reading experience, not taken away from it.

So the pros for me are privacy, ease of use, being able to increase font size, instant gratification on downloading books, no books to keep up with, store, loan out, dust, decide to sell or not sell or donate to charity - just less "stuff" in my house. It's also cheaper to download a book than to buy it.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:27 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,787 times
I drank the Kindle Kool-Aid ...

Had no intention of getting one (for many of the reasons stated here). Then DH surprised me with one -- he is weird about gifts, hates mandatory "gifting" situations and often will ignore traditional holidays.

So for him to present me with one was a big deal and not to be taken lightly.

I swallowed all of my protests about the importance of real books, etc and downloaded a few volumes. I went through them in an eye blink.

What's sold me finally is the fact that I actually read more now (and I have an English Lit degree and am a bibliophile since age 6 when I began sneaking a flashlight under the covers!) I think having books instantly available is key.

And I have avoided certain books because of their length -- I have hand and neck issue that have lately made large books a real problem. Happy to say I am now reading "Infinite Jest" on my Kindle.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:28 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,787 times
PS --

Can anyone share the "free on Kindle" lists? I would love to have these!

Thanks!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
PS --

Can anyone share the "free on Kindle" lists? I would love to have these!

Thanks!
I have signed up for this one: eReaderIQ.com | The Easier, Faster, Smarter Way to Kindle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books