Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2020, 08:08 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Have you read State of Wonder? That might be my favorite of Ann Patchett's works.
I haven't, and will look into it the next time I check out a book from the library. Thanks for the recommendation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 08:09 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Science and health with key to the scriptures by Mary Baker eddy

Old 09-07-2020, 07:24 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,263,729 times
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Lord Fouls Bane. Did not finish it 41 years ago when I was 12. Thought maybe I would give it a go. Read it after Lord of the Rings, and was looking for a follow up book, it just was not it. Have since realized that there is NO follow up to LOR.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:01 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
How is Hoax? I have it on my list.
I thought it worthwhile. Although I was aware of the symbiotic relationship between 45 and Fox, the author provides a more in depth look at some of the players at Fox. The idea that a president is running the country on advice from Fox is mind boggling and very scary. I thought the movie about Roger Ailes with Russell Crowe was excellent. Kudos to the makeup artist.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:45 PM

884 posts, read 623,679 times
I just finished reading 'How Fascism Works', The Politics of Us and Them. Its author is Jason Stanley.

The gist of this book is that democratic societies can be vulnerable to fascism and that nations don't have to be fascist to suffer from fascist politics.

Prof. Stanley lists the cumulative power of fascistic tactics, which include:
exploiting a mythic vision of a nation's past
propaganda that twists the language of democratic ideals against themselves
anti-intellectualism directed against universities and experts
law and order politics which presumes that members of minority groups are criminals
fierce attacks on organized labor.

Very appropriate reading in this election season.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:09 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just finished The Dutch House by Ann Patchett. I enjoyed it but wasn't blown away. Like in her previous novel, Commonwealth, the author bounces around from decade to decade and at times it was hard to stay connected to the characters as the aged.

I learned too late that Tom Hanks narrates the audio book. Now THAT might have been just what it was missing!
I just read that one too, and then read The Sound of Glass by Karen White. They make good books to read back to back because both are about homes that have been in the family for multi generations, and the secrets the houses hold.

If you liked The Dutch House, you might like The Sound of Glass even better - I did. (Although the Sound of Glass did have a smarmy, cliche romance side story, but maybe you can overlook that).

Old 09-08-2020, 02:14 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,313,142 times
Reading again parts of one of my favorites : The Complete Book of Herbs - Lesley Bremness.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:20 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
Notes from a Small Island (Notes from a Small Island #1), Bill Bryson 1995.

Old 09-09-2020, 04:51 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Notes from a Small Island (Notes from a Small Island #1), Bill Bryson 1995.

Bill Bryson is always a good trip!

I just finished After the Flood. I kept debating whether to keep at it, because for bits it would be a page turner, but mostly it just dragged on and was too hard for me to believe. It's a dystopian novel, certainly not my preferred genre. It got good reviews and I had heard good things about it so I did keep with it. Parts of it were very well written and touching, but overall I did not care for it and it got to the point where I was just reading pages to finish. I would give it 2.5 stars.
( though if you look at goodreads, I am not typical so many of you may like it).

Old 09-09-2020, 06:27 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Bill Bryson is always a good trip!

I just finished After the Flood. I kept debating whether to keep at it, because for bits it would be a page turner, but mostly it just dragged on and was too hard for me to believe. It's a dystopian novel, certainly not my preferred genre. It got good reviews and I had heard good things about it so I did keep with it. Parts of it were very well written and touching, but overall I did not care for it and it got to the point where I was just reading pages to finish. I would give it 2.5 stars.
( though if you look at goodreads, I am not typical so many of you may like it).
Hi Mayvenne, yes, I'm with you. I only gave this book 2 stars! Slogged through it and thought it was quite boring. A big disappointment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books