Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2021, 04:05 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
An excellent read so far, just like The Terror was.

Excerpt:

After washing up as quickly as he can - all the while thanking the wasichus' god and the actual Wakan Tanka (the All who seemed so much larger, so much more complex, and so infinitely much more present than the Fat Takers' white-bearded deity) that he didn't fall on any horse apples when he fell dead off his horse in that afternoon's show - Paha Sapa rushes back to his tent and changes into the only formal clothes he brought on this trip east: a black, pinstriped, thick-wool, ill-fitting, and completely inappropriate-to-July suit coat and baggy trousers that he purchased in Rapid City.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2021, 07:10 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times
Just finished "Fight No More" by Lydia Millet https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-fight-no-more

A small book of short stories. Very enjoyable read, giving it a solid 4 stars!

Old 05-16-2021, 05:55 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Cher Ami and Major Whittlesey.

Based on true events, this one almost had me in tears several times. And it isn’t a tearjerker at all—in fact, it is written in matter-of-fact style from both of its protagonists. All the more effective at making the reader feel the horrors all the characters lived with.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:22 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
Back to non-fiction.

Old 05-18-2021, 04:14 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
I finished The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See. I have read a few other of her books which I liked a lot more.
This was a very good book, but it was a bit hard to follow as it kept going back and forth in time,. It did have so much information in it that was quite interesting, but so much to absorb.
It had lots that was most disturbing (based on history) so it's hard for me to rate it properly.
It is a worthwhile read, but to me, it was longer than it needed to be and dragged at bits.

Old 05-18-2021, 09:10 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times
Just finished "A Constellation of Vital Phenomena" by Anthony Marra https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ital-phenomena

Well written and was a 4 star read for me.

" A massive thing, a dining room table's worth of pulped wood. The Medical Dictionary of the Union of Soviet Physicians. She rested the book on her thighs and its weight soon put her legs to sleep. The four thousand eight hundred and eighty-four pages held the most arcane and useless information. The names of buried blood vessels in Latin, Russian, and the official languages of the fourteen Soviet republics. The weight ranges of internal organs: 117 to 170 grams per kidney, 1.4 to 1.6 kilograms for a liver, 250 to 350 grams for a heart. She flipped through the book and found answers to questions no sane person would ever ask. The definition of a foot. The average length of a femur. Nothing for insanity by grief, or insanity by loneliness, or insanity by reading reference books."

Old 05-19-2021, 04:21 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Moderator cut: the post your comment referred to has been deleted
I just started The Third Daughter. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...third-daughter

Last edited by katzenfreund; 05-19-2021 at 05:00 AM..

Old 05-19-2021, 11:12 AM

1,854 posts, read 795,024 times
Sorry for posting links to my website

Still trying to decide on my first crypto book haven't figured which one I'm going to read.

Cryptoassets: The Innovative Investor's Guide to Bitcoin and Beyond
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...2-cryptoassets

Thinking of reading that^ Anyone read any crypto books?

Old 05-19-2021, 07:21 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Just finished "A Constellation of Vital Phenomena" by Anthony Marra https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ital-phenomena

Well written and was a 4 star read for me.

" A massive thing, a dining room table's worth of pulped wood. The Medical Dictionary of the Union of Soviet Physicians. She rested the book on her thighs and its weight soon put her legs to sleep. The four thousand eight hundred and eighty-four pages held the most arcane and useless information. The names of buried blood vessels in Latin, Russian, and the official languages of the fourteen Soviet republics. The weight ranges of internal organs: 117 to 170 grams per kidney, 1.4 to 1.6 kilograms for a liver, 250 to 350 grams for a heart. She flipped through the book and found answers to questions no sane person would ever ask. The definition of a foot. The average length of a femur. Nothing for insanity by grief, or insanity by loneliness, or insanity by reading reference books."

I’ve been periodically checking to see if Marra has written a third novel. He has not. Marra recommended this book. Looks interesting.

“Lights All Night Long*is utterly brilliant and completely captivating. Lydia Fitzpatrick writes with cinematic clarity about life on margins of contemporary Russia and America. The result is one of the most propulsive, un-put-downable literary novels I’ve read in ages.”—Anthony Marra, author of A Constellation of Vital Phenomena

Old 05-19-2021, 07:51 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
Just finished John Grisham's new book Sooley more like his Calico Joe, Bleachers and Playing for Pizza except it was basketball this time. It took me longer to read Sooley compared to his legal thrillers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books