Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2022, 06:59 AM

11 posts, read 4,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
My next book might be Where the Crawfish Sing since apparently it is coming out as a movie. On Amazon he has widely diverse reviews. Anyone here read it and either liked or hated it?
I ADORED it! Def will stay in my top 25 all-time. It’s character- driven, but also very atmospheric-and I love when an author brings you in to the setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 07:01 AM

11 posts, read 4,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I feel like this book has two distinct components that are woven together. I loved the part about Kya coming of age in the swamps and learning to embrace the natural world around her. I hated the teen romance.
Totally agree, although I loved the book overall, I did find myself wanting to shake Kya by the shoulders for some of her choices.

Old 03-25-2022, 07:49 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,117 times
Default Where the Crawfish Sing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I feel like this book has two distinct components that are woven together. I loved the part about Kya coming of age in the swamps and learning to embrace the natural world around her. I hated the teen romance.
"Teen romance". At the risk of showing my grumpy old age, teen romance in a review or synopsis is where I say to myself "I think I'll pass".

Old 03-25-2022, 04:48 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Where the Crawdads Sing
I really enjoyed it. It was a great read. I read it for book club and while we were kind of able to poke some holes in some of the story, it was a great read and I enjoyed the ride. I have mentioned that I often look at ratings on goodreads, and it gets a 4.46 which is really strong. ( Anything above a 4 is usually outstanding).

I just "tried" to read The Great Circle and I had to give up on it, after about 80 pages or so.

I then started Why Fish Don't Exist
and to my delight, it was very different and a really good read. Non fiction, sort of, and sort of lots of philosophy in a very engaging story.

Old 03-25-2022, 06:07 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
I'm just starting Happy All the Time by Laurie Colwin. This is my second book by this author and I'm already as captivated as I was with the first one (my first, not hers). She writes about people who feel like people I might actually know except they are more interesting and probably smarter, but still...

Colwin did most of her writing in the 1970s and then died prematurely. What a shame.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:03 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Happy to say I just started a book and am really really enjoying it.
The Boy at the Top Of the Mountain. Someone on here--(just checked it was Miguel's Mom-thank you!) mentioned it,and I realized it was by the author of The Heart's Invisible Furies which was excellent ( and even a very much bigger book than I usually go for). This one is actually a pretty short book, well under 300 pages so I decided to chance it and the library had it available on kindle.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:50 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
Finished my audio book The Doctor of Stalingrad which was really good. 5 stars!

Next on: Elia Barceló's Daugthers of Silence.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:51 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Happy to say I just started a book and am really really enjoying it.
The Boy at the Top Of the Mountain. Someone on here--(just checked it was Miguel's Mom-thank you!) mentioned it,and I realized it was by the author of The Heart's Invisible Furies which was excellent ( and even a very much bigger book than I usually go for). This one is actually a pretty short book, well under 300 pages so I decided to chance it and the library had it available on kindle.

Let me know what you think!

Old 03-27-2022, 11:26 PM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 9 hours ago)

449 posts, read 196,639 times
I finished this tome last week.

Extraordinary book. Even if you don't enjoy Octavia Butler's novels, I encourage you to read this book. Utterly beguiling.

For us women who desire erotic adventures in love, this book presents scenarios through a fictional heroine named Jayne who is not plain. There is a satisfying ending!!!

I just finished reading:

It's titled Beyond Black: Amy Winehouse by Naomi Parry .

I am currently reading this memoir:

Old 03-28-2022, 06:14 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Default Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville

I read Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville back in 2012 and 2013, before I was posting reviews as I read. It is a slow but essential read for anyone that wants to understand the U.S. The book lays out why the U.S. is unique and has always been unique. Interestingly, he took a "wait and see" attitude as to whether Americans would, in the course of history, "vote themselves" more than the economy could afford in benefits, or could otherwise be justified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books