Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 11:36 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times

Advertisements

to the original point, i myself am near exclusive to my nook these days... my "old dude eyes" being what they have become, it's just easier on me after spending a day at the computer for work.
Add to the fact the nooks (and kindles, etc) are perfect for traveling and the tablet versions also allow for games, web, movies as well as reading, i gave in to technology and have been reading more the past couple years on my nook then i did the years before when it was bound books only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 08:05 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,587 times
Darlin' here again,

I'm sorry it took so long for me to get back here but I won't bore you with the details.

Thanks so much to everyone for the humorous and informative responses - they're great.

I think that what I'm seeing as a general trend here is that readers will read in whatever form is available/convenient/enjoyable for them and changing technology won't stop them. Am I right?

Printed books feel good and I imagine that tradition will continue.

On the plus side for e-readers and tablets, the ability to adjust type size and the overall cleanliness etc. (no more musty, dusty, books) is alluring.

Please keep the comments coming!

Darlin'

Old 09-12-2013, 08:33 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
In the process of moving for the second time in 8 years. The first time I packed around 40 boxes of books. Post Kindle, I packed around 16. That is a lot of load that I am NOT lifting this time around.

Amazon has a new program that I have benefited from as well - if you have purchased a paper book, and the publisher has agreed to the program (they are always reluctant to go along with Amazon's ideas at first, like the Kindle Lend feature), you can purchase the ebook for a sharply discounted price.

ETA: at 40-50 pounds a book box, that is about 1,000 pounds.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:51 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
Kindle mostly with an occasional printed book here and there.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:06 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Morning all!

This is Mahrie's husband - Darling (cute, eh?)

I was wondering if the bulk of the readers of this forum are die hard printed book fans or if many or most have migrated to the ipad (or other similar internet connected pads) for reading?

Where are you situated in this modern (good or maybe not) era?
I used to have a ton of books, but have downsized just 2 books now (coffee table art) These two books that I did keep the Kindle would simply never do justice to. Other books I have are on Kindle and I couldn't be happier. I enjoy the portability and it's also easier on my eyes. When we did our last move, I realized the amount of books I had was staggering and enough was enough. To add to what a poster above about packing 40 boxes of books..I agree. large quantities of books can make a move even more difficult.

I swore I would never go to Kindle, but then again, I said the same about the cell phone years back. I know some die-hard book lover who will never touch a Kindle, but it's all in personal preference. Both methods/meduims have their pros and cons. I also don't think the hardcover will go the way of the dinosaur, especially since there is still a big market for rare and antiquarian books.

And newspapapers, strictly online.

Last edited by Gil3; 09-12-2013 at 09:24 AM..

Old 09-12-2013, 01:06 PM

498 posts, read 978,087 times
I'm strictly an eink reader person. I use a Kindle Paperwhite right now, but I'm looking at upgrading to a Kobo Aura HD in the near future.

I couldn't imagine doing all my reading on a tablet screen or even with regular paper books anymore.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:46 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,006 times
Both, but sometimes I prefer printed books.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 PM

438 posts, read 947,143 times
I love my kindle! I breeze through books much faster than I do in paperback form. But I read a lot, and some books are somewhat expensive on amazon so I read used paperbacks instead.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:48 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
One thing I miss on an e reader, is the summary about the book on the back. On the e reader, you just start in the book, I sort of like having a context about the story when I start reading it.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:31 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
One thing I miss on an e reader, is the summary about the book on the back. On the e reader, you just start in the book, I sort of like having a context about the story when I start reading it.
true, though i guess until now i never really thought about it since that info can likely be found on the sites the books are purchased from (Amazon, BN, Smashwords) or even searched sites like Goodreads.

good point though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books