Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 04:53 AM

10,217 posts, read 17,923,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
i havent given in to "cloud storage" for my books or music... not wanting to rely on net access when out and about i guess, plus i like having it all on my laptops and nooks (though add'l cloud backup is fine). But being in my 50's now, i can remember not wanting to go from 8-track and cassette tapes to CD's, and CD's to mp3's, and so on. I do know the tech will always get me at some point.
With Kindle, the cloud is more like a back up - in fact, they've only recently started calling it the cloud, it used to be called the archive. You can still store all your books on the actual device and read them without internet access.

But yes, I hate iTunes cloud - my husband has all switched to it and every once and a while, iTunes won't connect to it and we therefore can't listen to any music until he fixes it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 06:50 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,696,713 times
Both! However I do more iPad reading because of convenience (lighting , defining words,etc)

Old 10-22-2013, 07:12 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,189,305 times
Printed book reader. I get computer eye strain fairly easily.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:14 AM

10,217 posts, read 17,923,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
eInk isn't anything like a computer or tablet screen, it's not back lit, it looks just like paper and ink.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:19 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,553,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
I take a lot of long flights and used to always bring a paper book to read. My eyes would tire within an hour or two. However, with my Kindle my eyes don't tire at all and I've read for 7 hours on a flight.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:27 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,690,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Bibliofile all the way...the printed word sans tech is all......reading is also a deeply aesthetic experience....
I agree and feel the same way about books. I get most of my books from the library, which is within walking distance of our home and the reason we bought where we did. It was a lifetime goal to live within walking distance of the library and I managed it twice. I love books.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:53 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,041,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
eInk isn't anything like a computer or tablet screen, it's not back lit, it looks just like paper and ink.
yep, and add in the benefit to be able to adjust the font to help out old and tired eyes after a long day, another check in the plus column compared to print.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:15 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,553,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
yep, and add in the benefit to be able to adjust the font to help out old and tired eyes after a long day, another check in the plus column compared to print.
True. I like my font a big larger than the average book.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,339 times
Morning Everyone!

I thought I'd better get off my behind and create my own account, so that I wouldn't be using Mahrie's all the time.

I can't tell you all how much insight this thread has given me into how readers are reading in this day and age.

When I first posed this question, I thought that a few people would give their opinion and then the thread would drop down the page and be forgotten. I didn't expect so many people to not only respond, but to discuss between themselves the pros and cons of the different methods of reading and storing their favorite (and not as favorite) stories.

This has turned out to be an interesting thread.

Great forum.

Thank you!

Old 10-29-2013, 08:08 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,860,395 times
Printed book because I use my fingers to flip from text to footnotes to source to appendix tables and back. I tried using a colleagues device once. It was ok. I would prefer a pocket paperback on a trip. Something about holding paper vs. plastic. Personal preference. The benefit is the massive amounts of shelf space freed up with electronic storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books