Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:13 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,652,642 times

Advertisements

Just finished the Grail series by Bernard Cornwell. Enjoyed them very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 01:27 PM

30,324 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Well, I just finished "Letter to a Christian Nation" by Sam Harris... a very quick read at only 90 pages (took about 1-2 hours), but WOW what a good book! I suggest you all give it a look, both Christian and non-Christian alike, though I'm sure the Christians will find it less than pleasing - which is precisely why I think they should read it. It was written in response to the thousands of angry letters/emails Harris received after writing "The End of Faith", and is basically an open reply to their comments. He makes some points that are so profound and logical, I really don't know how anyone could argue... but of course they will, LOL. Anyway, I definitely recommend it to anyone who can handle some straightforward honesty (which is unfortunately rare these days).

Old 06-05-2007, 10:14 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well, I just finished "Letter to a Christian Nation" by Sam Harris... a very quick read at only 90 pages (took about 1-2 hours), but WOW what a good book! I suggest you all give it a look, both Christian and non-Christian alike, though I'm sure the Christians will find it less than pleasing - which is precisely why I think they should read it. It was written in response to the thousands of angry letters/emails Harris received after writing "The End of Faith", and is basically an open reply to their comments. He makes some points that are so profound and logical, I really don't know how anyone could argue... but of course they will, LOL. Anyway, I definitely recommend it to anyone who can handle some straightforward honesty (which is unfortunately rare these days).
I've finished "Letter to a Christian Nation" by Harris. I have "The End of Faith" but not finished it yet. Nothing like putting the cart before the horse. LOL. I'm of the opinion those that should read it, won't.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:23 PM

30,324 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I've finished "Letter to a Christian Nation" by Harris. I have "The End of Faith" but not finished it yet. Nothing like putting the cart before the horse. LOL. I'm of the opinion those that should read it, won't.
You're absolutely right, and I was thinking the same exact thing... unfortunately the majority of readers will be on his side, which kinda defeats the purpose. Even with a title that might confuse or draw in the Christian readers, they probably wouldn't get past the first few pages before yelling "blasphemy!". Wish we could make it required reading for them, LOL. Oh, and I also read this one first, but plan to read "End of Faith" when I get the chance.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:13 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Just finished the Grail series by Bernard Cornwell. Enjoyed them very much.
I enjoy Bernard Cornwell too. I've been reading the Saxon Stories.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:09 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,971 times
Has anyone read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini? My sister recommended it after having read his first novel, "The Kite Runner." I am much more of a James Patterson / David Baldacci fan but her descriptions of both of his books were very compelling. Amazon makes it so easy...

Old 06-07-2007, 04:40 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,115,902 times
Did you buy either, Redrover? I read "The Kite Runner" and found it very beautiful in a compelling way--and in some ways, it reads like a mystery story. I highly recommend it! But I haven't gotten caught up and haven't bought or read his second book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Has anyone read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini? My sister recommended it after having read his first novel, "The Kite Runner." I am much more of a James Patterson / David Baldacci fan but her descriptions of both of his books were very compelling. Amazon makes it so easy...

Old 06-08-2007, 07:54 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,971 times
Yes, I have ordered both Hosseini books from Amazon and they should show up early next week. My idea of sheer bliss is having a huge stack of as-yet-to-be-read books just waiting on the sidelines. Honestly, life gets in the way of my real passion which is reading. And I just don't understand how people who profess to love reading can be satisfied by listening to an audio book. That's callled "listening," not reading...

Old 06-08-2007, 10:46 AM

823 posts, read 3,688,614 times
I just started reading Elmore Leonard's newest novel Up In Honey's Room and it's too soon to know if I do or don't like it.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:29 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,115,902 times
Let us know if you enjoy them both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Yes, I have ordered both Hosseini books from Amazon and they should show up early next week. My idea of sheer bliss is having a huge stack of as-yet-to-be-read books just waiting on the sidelines. Honestly, life gets in the way of my real passion which is reading. And I just don't understand how people who profess to love reading can be satisfied by listening to an audio book. That's callled "listening," not reading...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books