Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:18 PM

596 posts, read 889,636 times

Advertisements

Hawaii is my favorite book of ALL TIME. Alaska and Poland were really good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 08:50 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Mitzi is still a cutie. She was perfect in the role because she always projected an innate innocence. I was so in love with Lt. Cable in that movie because I thought the actor was so good looking.

I've never read Tales of the South Pacific. I wonder why? I have no idea. Although, I seem to remember a TV series in the 60s that was taken from the book. I think I'll check on that. I really should read the book. It was one of my father's favorites.
I remember that TV show. I believe Gardner McKay was the star. I guess I will have to IMDB.com it.

Yes Mitzi still looks HOT. I saw her on the Turner Classic Movie channel recently. She still has it.

GL2

Old 10-23-2009, 08:57 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I remember that TV show. I believe Gardner McKay was the star. I guess I will have to IMDB.com it.

Yes Mitzi still looks HOT. I saw her on the Turner Classic Movie channel recently. She still has it.

GL2
I just looked it up on IMDB.com . Garner McKay was the name of the star and the show was "ADVENTURES IN PARADISE". I always wanted to visit the South Pacific area but the closest I ever came to getting there was dating a girl from Aruba. Heck I don't even know if Aruba is in the South Pacific.

GL2

Old 10-24-2009, 06:22 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Thank you for your post. It reminded me that I really liked his book "Caravans." The movie was not very good but the book is great. It's a peek into the culture of Afghanistan back in the 60s when it was a haven for hippies. I have an Austrian friend who did the whole trip (both kinds) in a VW bus in Afghanistan and as a result developed into a photo journalist. His pics are wonderful to view.
I know a few young people who enjoyed Caravans (the novel).
Have you heard of this book? It is the story of a young guy who walked across Afghanistan.

The Places in Between by Rory Stewart

Old 04-14-2010, 06:18 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,171 times
Ahhh Michener. One of my favorite authors and storytellers. Hawaii and Centennial are my favorites along with Tales of the South Pacific.

I read the latter in high school many many many years ago and to this day I love the beach he named Sonova Beach. You couldn't swear in front of my parents but any opportunity I had I would say that and of course refer to the book. I still use it since it sounds so much better than the "real" swear word!

And thanks for the reminder about The Source. One I have yet to read but forgot about until now.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:28 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
I have never read Michener. Odd that this thread has been revived, because I was just today using GoodReads.com to look up Michener books to see where I should start.

I think I never read him because when I was younger my Mom & aunts talked about the books so much. Not only did that make them uncool, but the particular titles were not the part of the world which piqued my interest. But, I am very much into geography, history, cultures, and I think I would like his books!

(I did read Caravans oh so long ago...and don't believe I knew it was Michener.)

Old 04-14-2010, 08:29 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,265,486 times
I loved Hawaii.

If you like James Michener, you might also like [URL="http://www.edwardrutherfurd.com/"]Edward Rutherfurd[/URL]. I greatly enjoyed Sarum.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:35 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
I loved Hawaii.

If you like James Michener, you might also like Edward Rutherfurd. I greatly enjoyed Sarum.
Thanks for the link. Looks very interesting!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:55 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
I have only ever read Texas.

Glad I came across this thread. I wanted to read another Michener, along with about 500 other books, lol, but I never remember to look for them when I'm actually at the library or bookstore. Going to the library later. Maybe Centennial?

Old 04-20-2010, 06:25 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,401,098 times
At the bottom of this article, all his works are listed:James A. Michener - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I loved Centennial.. was born in Colorado, but left as a baby so I have really never seen the area..yet
But as I look over the list, I see some I've missed and some I'd like to read again..(read Centennial countless times)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books