Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:16 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times

Advertisements

Bump

Michener is one of my favorite authors. I'm guessing I've read 20 of his books. Some I couldn't put down, some were put down and picked back up later.

Off the top of my head, my favorites are probably 'The Covenant', 'The Drifters' and 'Poland'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 08:16 PM

90 posts, read 131,495 times
Centennial and Hawaii are my favorites.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:21 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,010,151 times
Iberia was a very well researched and informative book about Spain. Definitely worth a read.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:55 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,289,544 times
My favorite (by far) was The Covenant.

I've also read Caravans, Hawaii, Centennial, The Source, and Chesapeake (my dad's favorite). All of those were years ago. Last summer I picked up Mexico, and it was disappointing. I didn't finish.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:44 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
I owe Mitchner a huge debt of gratitude. He made me the reader I am today. In the early grades I was such a poor reader that I was almost left back, even though I came from a family of readers. Then the summer after 5th grade a number of my local neighborhood friends who were one grade ahead of me and moving on to Jr. High in the fall also started taking an interest in boys and make-up and such. My closest friend moved away at the start of the summer and I was rather lonely.

My folks subscribed to the Readers Digest Condensed Books and often went on the buy or borrow the full edition. I read the beginning of Hawaii and his description of the geology and the formation of the islands so captivated my imagination that I took some of my allowance and went to the drug store and bought the paperback. It took me all summer to read it but I realized that reading did not have to be a bore "Oh, Look! See Spot run. Run, Spot, run." was not all there was in the world of books.

By 8th grade I was reading at second year college level. By my senior year of high school I was occasionally teaching the class when the teacher, who was head of the entire English Dept for over 8,000 students (and only taught that one class) had to attend meetings, etc. He told me to go get my degree, come back in four years and I'd have a job.

ps: No, I did not become an English teacher.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:40 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,932 times
I still have Michener close to the top of my all time favorite authors. During the time period when I read most of Michener's books I also read almost everything by Herman Wouk, Leon Uris, James Clavell. Jack London, Howard Fast and Lloyd C. Douglas.

I was lucky to have worked at jobs that allowed me time to do a lot of reading. I grew up on a ranch/farm and my Dad would always get irritated at me when he caught me reading instead of doing chores. I got in the habit of carrying paper back books in my pocket and reading whenever I had the chance. That has been a lifelong pleasure. I was lucky to find several things that I really enjoyed at an early age and am still enjoying them as a Senior citizen. In order of appearance: firearms, fishing, books, motorcycles and Ladies. Thank Gawd for the free library card. Of all those hobbies reading is the only one I can still enjoy every day.

GL2

Old 02-20-2012, 06:29 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
the caribbean since I love to visit there and the book about colorado

Old 02-21-2012, 12:46 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,455,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Iberia was a very well researched and informative book about Spain. Definitely worth a read.
This. Yes. Recommend the hardback version--it has more of Vavra's superb and insightful photography.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:32 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,492 times
Hawaii is my fave. I like Wilbur Smith more.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:05 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Up North View Post
Over the years I have enjoyed reading a fair number of books by James Michener ...

Chesapeake - After reading Chesapeake I longed to jump in a car and motor east, to see the big bay first hand. (I reside in NW Ohio.)

Any other James Michener fans out there? What say you?

Bear
I actually did just that.

During the summer I read Chesapeake, and in early Sept. I spent the day driving down to the eastern shore of Maryland, had lunch in the charming and historical town of Chestertown, Md.

But for me it is only 85 miles, or about an hour and 45 minute drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books