Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 06:03 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,378,366 times

Advertisements

I don't think the Twilight series displayed great writing but I do think they provided an interesting read. What I liked best about them was the way she seemed to really relate to a teenage girl's thought processes. I found myself remembering what it was like to think/feel that way and I think this accounts for the popularity among teenage girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 03:35 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Honestly, it took effort to slog through all three of them. The characters are all so incredibly shallow and emo that I just wanted to slap all of them and let the "bad" vampires have them.
That's pretty much how I felt. I read them all within a few days as they're super quick and easy to read. No thought required, really

Bella as a character made me cringe on nearly every cage and I was kind of wishing for her demise more often than not

BUT, you do have to give SM credit for creating such vapid, emo, clingy and completely co-dependent title characters that most teenage girls can completely see themselves in Bella's shoes.

Bah.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:36 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,121,890 times
ugh!
have not read the books / seen the film.
Have heard the writing is quite bad, and the film terrible.

After reading about the main character's tendency to be co-dependent,clingy etc have no urge at all.

What a shame that this is the female character that young girls are identifying with.

I'm not THAT old (I can still tick the 24-29 yr old age group!) but my favourite female book character growing up was Josephine from Little Women ...

Old 12-04-2009, 10:15 PM

183 posts, read 802,011 times
I just finished reading all four books and I'll admit to being entertained by them, though I agree with others that they aren't the best written books in history.

While I enjoyed them, I thought the ending of the whole saga was weak. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so I'll just say that there were four books worth of build up...and then nada.

I also thought that there was great potential to create more conflict between the werewolf packs when Jacob defected...but again, nada.

I could go on, but basically I just think that Stephenie Meyers must hate conflict. I feel that her editors must have forced here to put in the little conflict that there was.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:17 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
I don't think the Twilight series displayed great writing but I do think they provided an interesting read. What I liked best about them was the way she seemed to really relate to a teenage girl's thought processes. I found myself remembering what it was like to think/feel that way and I think this accounts for the popularity among teenage girls.
I agree with this opinion.

Although the books are not wriiten in the best style, nevertheless they managed to touch some chords with teenegers and ... not only teeneagers!!!

I wonder whether the general perception would be less negative if the books had not been followed by two really terrible movies.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:31 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,486,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
Also agree with this opinion. I am of the belief that the book is always better than the movie and that was so true for Twlight. I will not see New Moon until it plays on cable. I personally thought the first and last books were the best. I had a hard time getting thru the second and third books. I thought they were too drawn out and boring.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
I read all 4 books and saw both movies in the past month. Once I started reading Twilight, I couldn't put it down. I guess for me it was the whole forbidden love thing. And Edward was written to be so impossibly hot! They could never have found an actor that matched the Edward in my mind! Anyway, no, they aren't classic literature, but they were entertaining. Now I'm kind of sad the story is over for me. The story started to lose it for me in the 4th book. That's when it got a little too unrealistic for me.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:43 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,389,642 times
Loved them!!! My favourites are the first two books though. Way better than the movie. Great writing and not as shallow as the movie IMHO. I can recommend them. I've read them twice in 1 year and will do so in a few years again lol

Old 03-31-2010, 11:48 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Are the Twilight books by Stephenie Meyer any good?
My mom reads fiction (I do not) and she goes through a book about every couple of days.

She couldn't get past the first couple of chapters. Granted, vampires isn't her cup of tea, but she said the book wasn't even that well written.

I'll have to take her word for it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-06-2010, 03:27 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,630,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googler9 View Post
I really hated these books. I wanted to go through with a red pen and just make corrections.
So why don't you?

Hubby did, then mailed the books BACK to the publisher with a resume, lol!

I read them just to see what DSD was making such a fuss about, and to find out what the heck "team jacob" was, lol.

Worst books I have EVER read, I mean, I could slog through bio chem books and be more interested, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books