Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 08:06 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I don't know that I'd take it that way, but then again I haven't read it so maybe it is what she was trying to convey. It sort of gets back to my Mallrats comment about people being thinking too much about superhumans having sex with normal humans. It's not something anyone should take seriously or think about in depth.
True. Good point. That's probably not what she was trying to convey. I don't think it was written that intentionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 03:16 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
The books are pretty bad...the first and fourth book are better than the middle two (which are like the painful penance you have to get to book 4), but the story is compelling enough to keep reading. For now.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:42 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,320,521 times
As a teacher, I do not like the Twilight series. Bella's character is a poor example for young girls. We are always telling them to be independent and not to count on a boy for their happiness. What does Bella do? She mopes, whines, and begs to become a vampire because she can't live without a guy. Four books of a depressed Bella are more than anyone should take. The teen angst throughout the books or unrequited sexual yearnings(at least until book 4) is what keeps teen girls interested. The sad thing to me is a lot of parents would not let their kids read Harry Potter because of the subject matter, yet everyone is reading the Twilight series. These books are inferior to Harry Potter and the subject matter dealt with in Twilight makes Harry Potter look like a Dr. Seuss book.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:16 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
As a teacher, I do not like the Twilight series. Bella's character is a poor example for young girls. We are always telling them to be independent and not to count on a boy for their happiness. What does Bella do? She mopes, whines, and begs to become a vampire because she can't live without a guy. Four books of a depressed Bella are more than anyone should take. The teen angst throughout the books or unrequited sexual yearnings(at least until book 4) is what keeps teen girls interested. The sad thing to me is a lot of parents would not let their kids read Harry Potter because of the subject matter, yet everyone is reading the Twilight series. These books are inferior to Harry Potter and the subject matter dealt with in Twilight makes Harry Potter look like a Dr. Seuss book.
Absolutely!

My little brothers girlfriend (she's 17) read the books and said 'Man, that Bella is a whiny little *****' and then proceeded to tell my brother that if she EVER acted like that, please smack some sense into her.

I love my brothers girlfriend

I liked the way you brought up Harry Potter though... I really really enjoyed those books and they were definitely better than the Twilight books...plus they showed a young heroine who takes charge and makes things happen. I like that in female characters

Old 07-20-2010, 06:04 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,915 times
Yes, as the mother of daughters, I have serious problems with Bella. She's just so neurotic and whiny and bluck! I like strong young women characters, and I tend to get ranty about the Twilight series. It's refreshing to find that others see what I see, especially a 17 year old girl!

Old 07-25-2010, 11:00 PM

262 posts, read 650,528 times
Her writing is entertaining, but it's hardly great literature. I hated how she described every single face the characters made, and the dialogue was... amateurish. It's stilted... chunky? Uneven?

It's like I tell my students, SHOW me, don't TELL me.

She tells you what they are doing/thinking instead of indicating those things through word choice. She's telling the story exactly how it plays out in her author's mind... leaving no room for any work to be done on the reader's part.

I read the Midnight Sun thing on her website, too, and I stopped reading the fourth time Edward noticed she was chewing/biting on her bottom lip, and how that must mean she is worried/angsty/embarrassed... etc.

That's fine for teenagers, but adult, well-read readers will find her writing boring. I say, anything that gets the kids to read is a good thing, but I don't think I'll finish the series.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:22 PM

262 posts, read 650,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
The Twilight books are pretty badly written, and if you're fairly well read, you'll also notice that they're largely derivative of other stories, except for the disturbing pedophile wolf shapeshifters. I don't know where that came from. Stephenie Meyer gets credit for being a good storyteller (I hear this all the time), but most of her stuff is lifted.

Praise Jesus, so I am not the only person who sees this! I'm an English teacher, and I read them because a lot of my kids were reading them, and of course I try to keep up with what the kids like these days, so if one of them wants to talk about it, I know what they're referring to.

As I read them, I began to see that they mirror a few classics, and I researched, and found this:

"Each book in the series was inspired by and loosely based on a different literary classic: Twilight on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, New Moon on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, Eclipse on Emily Brontë's Wuthering Heights, and Breaking Dawn on a second Shakespeare play, A Midsummer Night's Dream."(Source: Proctor, Maurine (August 8, 2008). "Stephenie Meyer's Twilight". Meridian. http://www.meridianmagazine.com/books/080806vampire.html.)

Old 07-25-2010, 11:38 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,121,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
exactly, she is a poor example ...

To think, my favourite female character in a book was Joesphine from Little Women

harry potter over twilight, anyday

Old 07-26-2010, 03:04 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,201,191 times
I unfortunately read the first 20 pages of the first book. Can I formulate an opinion?

Old 07-26-2010, 07:36 AM

10 posts, read 24,829 times
I find them too over the top for little girls and too immature for adults!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books