Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 02:48 AM

3,085 posts, read 7,253,010 times

Advertisements

Are the Twilight books by Stephenie Meyer any good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 06:19 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,378,366 times
I liked them. I also liked her adult novel "The Host".

Old 11-20-2009, 11:02 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,556,201 times
I can see why teenage girls would love "Twilight", but I've definitely read better vampire romance novels. Of course, they're geared towards adults.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:30 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,352,152 times
nope, they stink too, in my opinion. I love reading the movie reviews where even the reviewers mention how bad SM's writing is (usually while praising the script writer for avoiding her bad prose). SM is a decent storyteller (IMHO, slightly sub par, at least as far as Twilight is concerned, though I've heard better things about The Host), but her writing is horrible.

I hate it when overzealous "Twitlight" fans (not a slur against all Twilight fans, just the crazy ones) insist that this is the best written story they've EVER read; it makes me very sad for them and youth as a whole

honestly, the Twilight books are Harlequin for teens. they have their place, but don't expect fine literature (or even half decent literature)

Old 11-20-2009, 08:49 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,731 times
I've never read the books, but from what I hear they're not that much different from the movies. Here's what Stephen King thinks of her.

"Both Rowling and Meyer, they're speaking directly to young people... The real difference is that JK Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good."

Here he explains how her books may appeal to her younger readers. It's an interesting analysis.

"People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it's very clear that she's writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It's exciting and it's thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because it's not overtly sexual." He further explains, "A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that's a shorthand for all the feelings that they're not ready to deal with yet."

Last edited by krichton; 11-20-2009 at 08:58 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 09:42 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,336,629 times
I loved the Twilight series of books.

I'm a huge fan of Stephen King. I'd like to know the source of that quote because it does not sound like him at all. I've never heard of his being unkind and I've been a loyal fan since his first book came out which was years and years ago.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:15 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,731 times
You can just type it into google. It's all over the internet. What I find interesting is that Stephen King is reading cheesy vampire books and while the Potter books are excellent I'm surprised he reads those as well.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
I read the first one simply because I saw them displayed so prominently in the local bookstore. Loved it! Finished it in two nights and went to the bookstore the next day to buy the rest of the series.

And Stephanie Meyer lives near me. Very nice. Quiet. Family-oriented. Saw her recently enjoying a day out with one of her kids. Terribly normal.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:37 PM

313 posts, read 1,053,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

honestly, the Twilight books are Harlequin for teens. they have their place, but don't expect fine literature (or even half decent literature)
That might be the best description of the series that I've come across.

I love a literary bandwagon. I was all over Harry Potter like white on rice. But I also have to agree with Mr. King, whether he really said it or not. The writing in the HP books is amazing; the writing in Twilight (the only book in the series that I read) is not. But to be honest, I fault Stephenie Meyer's editors the most. There were so many ways that the writing could have been improved- the story itself was good but the writing was really clunky.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:43 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,820,291 times
The writing is pretty dismal, but I read them all in a week or so...I liked the story. I saw the first movie on netflix and will wait for netflix on the new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books