Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:56 AM

88 posts, read 182,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGoesIt View Post
The good thing about Boston is that it's a very young city. There are a ton of colleges in the area and a lot of bars and clubs are filled with cute college girls on the weekend. As opposed to south Florida where there are retired New Yorkers w/ attitudes everywhere.

Girls are MUCH different too. Your average south Florida girl is hot, blonde, fake boobs, and bubbly. Girls in Boston are cute, very traditional, well educated, and a little more on the serious side. It basically boils down to hot vs. cute. Which do you prefer?

There are plenty of differences between the two areas. Both are great places to live, but definitely very different.

I like that part.. Being that I am 30 I feel that I am too young to be in South FL, but maybe I am too old for Boston. Everyone is rude in South FL and I found the people in Boston (and NYC) to be much nicer...
I have lived in Florida my whole life and South Florida about half of that time, and I am not blonde, fake boobs, and bubbly. So maybe I would fit in better up there hahaa... and I prefer men, sorry!!
All I know is that I will be leaving Florida in the next 6 months and I need to make my decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 10:04 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadess1 View Post
I like that part.. Being that I am 30 I feel that I am too young to be in South FL, but maybe I am too old for Boston. Everyone is rude in South FL and I found the people in Boston (and NYC) to be much nicer...
I have lived in Florida my whole life and South Florida about half of that time, and I am not blonde, fake boobs, and bubbly. So maybe I would fit in better up there hahaa... and I prefer men, sorry!!
All I know is that I will be leaving Florida in the next 6 months and I need to make my decision.
I think it's hysterical that people in NYC and Boston are all considered rude. And yet I find people in Boston to be far less rude than in NYC. It all boils down to overcrowding I think.
But I too am looking to leave NYC. We looked into a few different places but we really like the North Shore of MA. Now we just have to find jobs LOL

Old 11-04-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
I think it's hysterical that people in NYC and Boston are all considered rude. And yet I find people in Boston to be far less rude than in NYC. It all boils down to overcrowding I think.
But I too am looking to leave NYC. We looked into a few different places but we really like the North Shore of MA. Now we just have to find jobs LOL

No no I said people in South FL are rude, not the other way around. I found people to be much nicer in NYC and Boston than in Florida...

Old 11-04-2010, 02:02 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
If you can, you should really try to visit Boston and NYC in person before making your decision. And in regards to finding a bartending job, I don't think that searching for a bartending job ahead of time is going to help you out with having a bartending job when you get here or wherever you are going. It seems to me that in the food and beverage industry, those businesses like to offer employment to those that they meet in person first. And I'd say that at any given time, there are bartending jobs open all over the Boston (and NYC area). Plus, every bar has a different feel and target audience. There are going to be places that you will want to work at, and also places that will turn you off. Only exploring the area's bar businesses will you be able to determine what bar you will fit in best with. And if the manager there likes you a lot, he may offer you a job when there is no official job posting.

Plus, online jobs generate a ton of interest. And whatever online job postings you respond to, chances are that there are at least 50 to a 100 emails of inquiry about them already. And... most employers are not going to take seriously any job inquiry by a person that is still living 1500 miles away with no commitment to a place to live in the area.

Anyway, it's best to visit first.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
If you can, you should really try to visit Boston and NYC in person before making your decision. And in regards to finding a bartending job, I don't think that searching for a bartending job ahead of time is going to help you out with having a bartending job when you get here or wherever you are going. It seems to me that in the food and beverage industry, those businesses like to offer employment to those that they meet in person first. And I'd say that at any given time, there are bartending jobs open all over the Boston (and NYC area). Plus, every bar has a different feel and target audience. There are going to be places that you will want to work at, and also places that will turn you off. Only exploring the area's bar businesses will you be able to determine what bar you will fit in best with. And if the manager there likes you a lot, he may offer you a job when there is no official job posting.

Plus, online jobs generate a ton of interest. And whatever online job postings you respond to, chances are that there are at least 50 to a 100 emails of inquiry about them already. And... most employers are not going to take seriously any job inquiry by a person that is still living 1500 miles away with no commitment to a place to live in the area.

Anyway, it's best to visit first.

I have been to both places... NYC alot more since I have had family there my whole life. It is the same way in FL with jobs as they want to meet people. But it is VERY hard to get a job in FL because so many people are competing for the same job and its usually the 21 year old girls with fake boobs and no experience who get the job....

The bartending job is not needed right away, because I will have my court reporting job that I can do up there, I just eventually will need the second income. I just wondering how easy it would be to find one up there because it is almost impossible in FL.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:14 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Honestly, it's very competitive for the good bartending gigs, the ones that get the great tips. Everyone knows that it's good side work. Part time bartending work is very popular with the college kids. And in this bad economy, most adults are also seeking this sort of work.

The temp staffing agencies for catered events have bartending work that is hourly not gratuity positions, and that work is very seasonal. October was a very busy month for all the catering companies. November can be slow for work, then it picks up for the holiday party season. Then it slows down again in January.

If you are good at selling yourself and you are a great bartender, then most likely you will have a good chance at getting a bartending job. Otherwise, Boston isn't hurting for lack of bartenders...

Old 11-04-2010, 03:55 PM

3 posts, read 5,041 times
FOLKS....I AM AN IRISH MAN IN NEED OF YOUR HELP!!! I AM LIVING IN BOSTON ADN HAVE BEEN CONTACTED BY MY LOCAL PUB AT HOME AND THEY NEED OUR VOTES IN A COMPETITION WHICH IS OPEN TO WORLWIDE VOTING. JUST VISIT [URL="http://www.powers.ie/"]www.powers.ie[/URL] and vote for Griff...ins of Trim in County Meath AND YOU WILL PLAY YOUR PART.

THANKING YOU ALL SO MUCH!!

Peadar MacFhlannaigh

Old 11-04-2010, 09:12 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,552,163 times
Default Deciding if Boston is right for me,

I live 30 miles NW of Boston on the NH line. I vote for
Boston. Note because I live here but the congestion in NYC is overwhelming!!!! You walk shoulder to shoulder down the streets . The advantage NYC has over Boston and Denver is it's transit authority runs 24 hrs. a day 365 days a year so a car would not be needed. But you would have to hold on to your pocketbook for dear life !!! The cramped quarters is pickpockets dream!!! I'm not saying it doesn't happen in Boston but it's much worse in NYC.

The culture in Boston is awesome ! We have so many historical sites to visit you'll be busy for quite some time. There are many towns on the outskirts of Boston which offer historical visitors including tours of their facilities.

It's only less than a an hour drive to skiing, snowboarding, etc...all kinds of snow activities you can think of.

Apt. are abundant in Boston with underground parking and in the suburbs of Boston at cheaper rental costs.

As far as finding a bar tending job, there are plenty to be found. Yes Boston is a college town, but so many of the students go home for breaks and holidays and are supported by their parents. I don't think you'll have a hard time finding a a job in both of your fields . Like I mentioned before there are so many cities and town on the outskirts of Boston. I guess you can tell I love Boston and the people here are not rude and we do smile and say hi to each other, people really get the wrong idea of us .

Good Luck in making your choice, I hope you make the right one !!!!!

Old 11-05-2010, 08:24 AM

Thanks for having something good to say I really love New England and the people up there. I thought about moving to NH for a short time because it is so pretty and close to skiing (and being that I love snowboarding its perfect). But it is only a short drive from Boston, and I prefer bigger cities. I have been doing research on apartments and the prices are about the same as South FL so I wouldn't really have to get used to spending a lot more

Old 11-05-2010, 08:40 AM

14 posts, read 30,121 times
Pubic transportation in Boston is good, but NYC's is just better (24 hours+express trains). People in both cities are abrupt, which many people mistake for rude. Life in general tends to move quickly. It's pretty hard to beat Denver for snowboarding (other than SLC or Portland).

Getting to the mountains without a car can be accomplished via dedicated ski buses run by local clubs and a large chain of ski stores. These are nice because you can apres ski all you want, but you are stuck with their schedule. You can also take a train to WaWa for night skiing, but I've never tried it (I hate WaWa).

From NYC, you can get an Amtrak to Vermont. Probably more expensive, but probably a lot better than a bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston