Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 12,241 times

Advertisements

Ooohh I love Southie. Be wary that loads of Irish live there. It's not a bad thing, it's just the culture. Irish Potato Famine = South Boston Irish. So be wary that things like St. Patrick's Day are taken seriously, there's a big parade in Southie each year. Some of the area isn't that good, with the popular rhyme,
Kids get high, the grades are low, if there's a secret everybody knows.
Also another one about the kids of Southie,
Hooked on crack, hooked on weed, hooked on phonics and i still cant read.

--Otherwise it'll be a nice place--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2006, 07:59 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,348 times
It's funny how so many people perceive the neighborhood that come from outside the area. I never heard that poem in all the years living in the City and I was born and raised there. Geez, I must have led a real sheltered life! The funny thing about it is, my friends from there are all Italian, every one of them and one of them is even Lebanese! There's only a few Irish out of all of them over there, that I know! This is America don't forget, the melting pot of the universe! Hey do you know, there's a lot of Polish that live in Southie by the way and another thing I wanted to make sure you guys knew too, my former landlady was Lithuanian, and if she heard you, she'd flip right out!

To the first poster, you'll be safe on the East side. The West side or the "lower end" as it used to be always called when it WAS just that is all built up now with renovated newer condos and loft style apartments and such, it's much much nicer than it used to be ever before. It's not the Southie of yesteryear at all, it's SO convenient to live in that neighborhood, the MBTA is right there, either the train or the bus right at your fingertips. The beach area is still beautiful to walk, no matter what time of year and if you can get a condo along here? Good luck to you, because they're worth a fortune now. For example, the East Broadway area has some stunning property worth over $700,000, if not more. If you live on this side of Southie and can find an apartment or condo to even rent for under $1600 a month then consider yourself lucky because most of them are going for well well over $2000 a month now, if not more. IF you can get a condo for under $350,000 then consider yourself lucky because there's nothing under that price range that's even decent to look at. It's much more upscale now than you think in Southie, trust me on that last message.

I personally don't think it's as nice as Charlestown though and I lived in both parts of the City. The property value is even more in Charlestown and the area is much more historical and charming as it's part of the Freedom Trail and also it's a lot closer to looking like parts of Beacon Hill than ever before with the renovations that have been done to the homes. In fact the nickname for parts of Charlestown is mini-Beacon Hill these days! The thing that you'll really like about South Boston is the beach! It's great for walking, riding your bike, rollerblading you name it, it's ideal. That's ONE thing that is lacking in Charlestown, and that's probably the only difference, so therefore if I had to pick out of the two places? I'd still pick South Boston for this main reason!

Good luck!

Old 11-25-2006, 02:23 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,485,155 times
Agree with CityGirl 100%. Love Charlestown but $$$,$$$.

It is funny how expensive real estate = nice place to live.
Based on this theory, my town is better than yours because houses in my town are more expensive than yours....hahaha....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston