Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 09:54 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,113,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Here going to the beach is a huge production, but in the tropics it's the equivalent of a walk through the common.
This really depends how far you are from a beach. I'm a 5 minute walk, so it's hardly a production. Huge or other wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 10:02 AM

283 posts, read 990,232 times
Quote:
I grew up here but lived in the tropics for 5 years and it changed my mindset
We don't have "tropics" in the United states, what country did you live in? And why did you come bacK? Let me gue$$....

Old 06-29-2012, 10:04 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,256 times
Default Boston weather

Would you rather be somewhere where its over 95 with humidity or 100 degrees for about 3-4 months of the year and 90s from about April-November? Like in Texas . Right now its like 115 with trhe humidity and temps in the 105 range every day. It never stops. Also we dont have the big wildfire concerns out west, our hurricanes arent that strong when they do come up they're like cat 1 or 2 max. if that. (remember Irene was supposed to be big but fizzled out and was only a T.S.). We have great weather here from about April to November. for the most part. - even early December some years with Climate Change happening. Winters arent that bad its coleld for maybe 3-4 months and then gets mild again. Yeah sometimes we get a lot of snow but I'd rather take the 4 seasons than the same boring dull hot steamy weather all year long or the boring non existant weather they get out west or down south.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:06 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,256 times
BTW MY favorite Season is the FALL Sept - November is the best weather here
:-) Overall it is my opinion New England has some of the best weather OVERALL when you take into account all the factors of other areas of the country. Its nice to know our homes wont burn down any time soon from wildfires like they have to worry about out west.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:24 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
This really depends how far you are from a beach. I'm a 5 minute walk, so it's hardly a production. Huge or other wise.
That does seem nice. I have to live in Boston, I cannot afford to live near the beach here because I'm a returning student still finishing up my degree at a school here. I love going to my friend's house in Wellfleet, what a wonderful place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
We don't have "tropics" in the United states, what country did you live in? And why did you come bacK? Let me gue$$....
I lived in Miami which is considered tropical. Technically "tropical monsoon climate".
The second you arrive it does not feel like the US culturally or socially. There is plenty of business going on down there since it still is a part of the US.

I came back because I was invited to join a family business and it was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. I didn't need to move I had a good job and was in college. While the business up here didn't work out so well, I ended up transferring to a great school here and I have about a year left.

I also came back because Boston is my hometown

Old 06-29-2012, 09:38 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,280,851 times
.... and they have The Red Sox

Love that dirty water.... oh Boston, you're my home!! - YouTube

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-29-2012, 10:07 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Hopefully this will help. I am from Mass originally and like you always grew tired of the winters. I especially tired of it the most, when the winters were the worse such as this winter. My job was one I could live elsewhere in the USA and I took advantage of that perk. I've lived in Oregon for several years, and don't really care for it and will be leaving later this year.

I would ask yourself as far as Mass or New England is concerned these questions. Are the dislikes you stated the end of your dislikes with the area or just a sample. I ask this because from experience and I have been all over the USA be careful. The cultures from region to region are dramatic to say the least. I would have thought America would have become more same same thru the decades but the opposite has happened.

You could trade in the problems you have in Mass with a whole new set of problems and be far off from any support system. I don't know if you have family beyond your immediate one in the area. I don't know if your originally from New England. All I know is think things out really well before moving away. I know the snow and cold and cost of living is a killer in Mass, but I'll take most of the culture there in a heart beat. I'll take it over many of the areas I have visited and lived in this country. There most definitely is a reason why many areas are cheaper to live and thats an understatement.
Great post! I too am a native New Englander, and agree with the OP on the winters. However, Jimrob1 was correct in admonishing you to clearly think things through before moving. Ironically, I moved away nearly 20 years ago to escape the winters, but have missed the culture, change of seasons and natural beauty of the place. Yes, it is expensive, but I have come to find out that it is all relative. Ironically, I moved to the south before taking a job in the west (Arizona) where it was cheaper to live, but the salaries and quality of education also reflected that.
No doubt, the winters can seem long and cold! However, wherever you go there will be some issue to deal with. You just have to decide which one is yours!

Last edited by goolsbyjazz; 06-29-2012 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: deleted repetitive material

Old 06-30-2012, 11:13 PM

27 posts, read 39,359 times
Finally something I have some expertise in! I'm in the opposite of your situation, Jimmy. I've lived in South Texas my ENTIRE life (I'll be 30 in September)... I just can't take the heat anymore. I was born in San Antonio, and moved to Corpus Christi when I was in the 2nd grade, and I've lived here since. Taking into account heat indices, it's been triple digits here since early May, and most likely won't subside until middle to late September. It is VERY hot here... I'm moving to Boston on the 23rd, and I can't wait for some cold weather. What you need to grasp about hot VS cold, is that you can only take off so much clothing, whereas you can pile on the warmth in the cold. It's also much easier to warm up than it is to cool down. Your body is built with a much better internal heater than it's method of cooling off (sweating, which sucks ass!)...

Old 07-02-2012, 12:18 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,113,588 times
Quote:
That does seem nice. I have to live in Boston, I cannot afford to live near the beach here because I'm a returning student still finishing up my degree at a school here. I love going to my friend's house in Wellfleet, what a wonderful place.
I live in Boston as well. We have beaches here.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:25 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Does the T go to The Cape or any other beach?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston