Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:31 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukec View Post
Fort Myers is awful. Most people here are Sox fans and head down there for a spring training game. The way you talk, it sounds like you have a vested interest.

Strip malls. After strip malls. No character. No charm. No history. No walking. No seasons. Poor food. Pood bars. Pood arts. Poor music. Poor camaraderie.
Sox fan, but I've never done spring training. Not familiar with Ft. Myers. From this description it doesn't sound like a place that would appeal to me, but I've heard that Naples is nice. Not every place is right for everyone. Some people will feel right at home in a place you, I, or someone else couldn't stand. What would work for the OP depends on how his other preferences in a place to live balance against the desire for a milder winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
LOL ... I particularly like the part about getting old at 30.
Yeah, that one gave me a laugh as well. Of course, when he really does hit mature years he'll start to realize that no place is perfect, and you have to take the bad with the good. Whether that means the OP would be best off staying in Boston depends on how he feels about other features of Boston besides the weather, and how likely he'd be to find other places with milder winters that would have something similar to the features of Boston that he likes.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
With the dozens of topics everyday complaining about the cold weather i'm starting to think America is going a bit soft,instead of uprooting everything to move to a warmer climate to escape a few months of colder temps why not just wear proper winter clothing and you wont be cold.

Quote:
My wife and I have good paying, stable technology jobs in Boston.
Some may think you've got it made and wish they could post a quote like that..,
As for those 6 months of winter its more like 3

Old 01-27-2011, 12:51 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh0416 View Post
...If you have allergies at all..
Oh yeah, that is worth a mention. Allergy season forces me inside for two months too. And the damned thing is it happens during Dallas's best weather ...

Old 01-27-2011, 12:53 AM

55 posts, read 203,654 times
Sounds like only Cali has perfect weather then. Yet more peole born in Cali have been moving out and their population would decrease drastically if not for heavy illegals influx and their babies. Why is that?

Old 01-27-2011, 08:09 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1234 View Post
I love Boston in the summer..but it's hardly there to enjoy. The beaches, the downtown, the harbor, great school system for kids and safe suburbs...its all nice...except for the winter.
It's all relative. I was born and raised in California-lived there for the majority of my life so far. I lived in both the southern and northern regions of the state. Take So Cal, for example. Even though that region is what, 30˚ F warmer in the winter, you will still find most residents moan about how cold it is. You will more than likely wonder why everyone is indoors for 3 or 4 months with the heat cranked up when it is only 50˚ F outside. Go to a beach and you will see them empty except for a few dog walkers, joggers, and handful of surfers. Ironically, since the water in the oceans are constantly moving, the water temp is not that different between winter and summer. At least not drastically. But, most remain indoors-escaping the cold.

Also, it is cloudy/overcast/grey, too. And rainy. You will basically exchange snow for rain when you move to one of the "warmer" cities. Despite icy sidewalks, etc. I would take snow over rain any day. You will also only experience two seasons. Spring and fall don't really exists-at least not as they do New England. Spring and Fall are just a long, slow, drawn-out transition between winter/summer and summer/winter. It's rather bland.

A final thought is that while heating costs may be high, they are high everywhere. Sure, you might save a few bucks by not running the heat for as long, but the flip-side is that what ever money you are saving on heat is going to be spent on A/C for 6 months.

Quote:
I'm not sure if I'm being just a cry baby because of the weather or should I really follow my wishful dreams and make a move to these cheaper,warmer cities. Is it worth starting all over again in a new city?
Move to where ever you feel comfortable, but keep in mind that the grass only seems greener when you are on the other side. Another thing to keep in mind is that home prices/rent in these cheaper cities are indicative of the local economy. In other words; the cheaper the home prices/rent, the lower the salaries/pay. Don't think that your Boston salary is going to move with you.

Quote:
I see all these brand new homes on HGTV selling for 300k$ in sunny florida, atlanta, dallas and I feel sad about living in Boston. Are these worth moving for?..or its just grass is greener on the other side?
Those brand new homes are more than likely cheaply made. The developers want to gain the most profit, so they use cheaper materials. As such, they can sell them for less, yet, still maximize profit. Those "70 year old homes" you mentioned in Boston going for $550K + are far more solid than any new construction in Florida, etc. They will require less maintenance over the long run. Simply put, they were built to last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
LOL ... I particularly like the part about getting old at 30.
Yeah, if 30 is old, then I must be ancient...and I'm still in my 30s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloe View Post
Sounds like only Cali has perfect weather then. Yet more peole born in Cali have been moving out and their population would decrease drastically if not for heavy illegals influx and their babies. Why is that?
Just like many people move to California for the "good life", many Californians leave the state for the same reason. Most natives are leaving because there are just too many people, to much hustle and bustle, and the economy just sucks...and has for many years prior to this recent recession. It's just becoming too expensive. Illegals are not really a factor. At least not for the majority. Take it however you will, but California is probably the only state that accepts its large Hispanic population; whether they are illegal or otherwise.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:08 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
Don't know what to tell you. Personally I wouldn't live in a lot of the places with cheaper homes featured on HGTV if they paid ME $300K. Every year. 3 days in either Dallas or Atlanta was enough to make me think winter was not so bad.

And what's with the "70 year old homes" thing? Where are you from? I'd take most houses built before 1940 anyday before the new crap they're throwing up today. Our house was built in 1895 and it's both gorgeous and solid as a rock.

Sometimes I get tired of winter (particularly the gray-I like the snow) too, but for me it's worth it to be here. As has been suggested, one way is to embrace winter. Try outdoor skating or cross-country skiing. Or make winter the "this is when I go to museums, etc." season. I've found having something to do on winter weekends makes it pass more quickly.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:11 PM

132 posts, read 467,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As for those 6 months of winter its more like 3
Really? 3 months, let's not exaggerate, most of us have seen snow in October and April. You can't recall snow on Halloween, Easter, St. Patricks Day, or a good old April fools day snow storm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Land a job in those cities, then decide.
Best advice, productive, helpful, and thoughtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
hooray, another person exaggerating about the weather in Boston.
Did I miss something? very productive post, I'm sure it was very helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukec View Post
Sounds nuts to me. Seven or eight years? If you are that weak to weather, get out of Boston and the USA. Boston springs are great. What is great about the winter's is that we love and appreciate spring.

Ahhh. Opening Day, Marathon Monday, Saint Patrick's... And early winter is great too. I love a snowstorm during the holidays. Shopping and looking at lights with a snowfall.

If you want it warm and boring all the time, with excruciatingly hot summers, get out.
WOW, not sure why New Englanders would ever be considered rude
The whole thing about being able to appreciate spring because you endured winter amuses me. I poke myself in the eye every morning to remind me why I love to be able to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
See ya', Jimmy! Don't let the door hit you on the way out! New England is not for everyone.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting this one, but a little rude perhaps?!?!?!
New England is a special and unique place, and is certainly not for everyone. We welcome people from all over the world every year for school, and work. Some stay and some move on, but most of us aren't rude when you decide it is not for you.

Jimmy, life is too short. You will be gone soon enough, enjoy as much of the remaining 50 years {if the fates are with you} you have. Do the RESEARCH and find a place where YOU will be happy, and don't let these @#$% eating birds try and peck at you. Most of them are just jealous that you have the gumption to question if there is a better place for you. I knew too many of them when I lived in Southie.

Some of the responses were helpful and informative but WOW even for CD forum some responses just astounded me

P.S. RRANGER, if we share the same TAB I am surprised and embarrassed by your lack of empathy.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:30 PM

95 posts, read 384,821 times
Your still considered a kid in your 30s so don't worry about getting old. I would say if you are going to do a big move to a warmer place go for it, but dont expect a great job market in Florida,California, or Hawaii right now. Personally I think Hawaii is run down and over priced.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:03 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Hi guys,

I have been living in Boston since the past 7-8 yrs. My wife and I have good paying, stable technology jobs in Boston.

But, I'm just sick of this long cold winter which lasts for 6 months a year! It's all gloomy, gray and depressing. Probably, I'm just getting older (I'm 30 yrs old). Add to that Boston is super expensive! 70 year old homes sell for > 550k$ in good school towns + 6 months of high heating bills + super high property taxes!

I'm seriously thinking of moving to a warmer, cheaper city like Atlanta,Ga, Dallas,tx , etc.

I love Boston in the summer..but it's hardly there to enjoy. The beaches, the downtown, the harbor, great school system for kids and safe suburbs...its all nice...except for the winter.

I'm not sure if I'm being just a cry baby because of the weather or should I really follow my wishful dreams and make a move to these cheaper,warmer cities. Is it worth starting all over again in a new city?

I see all these brand new homes on HGTV selling for 300k$ in sunny florida, atlanta, dallas and I feel sad about living in Boston. Are these worth moving for?..or its just grass is greener on the other side?

Hopefully this will help. I am from Mass originally and like you always grew tired of the winters. I especially tired of it the most, when the winters were the worse such as this winter. My job was one I could live elsewhere in the USA and I took advantage of that perk. I've lived in Oregon for several years, and don't really care for it and will be leaving later this year.

I would ask yourself as far as Mass or New England is concerned these questions. Are the dislikes you stated the end of your dislikes with the area or just a sample. I ask this because from experience and I have been all over the USA be careful. The cultures from region to region are dramatic to say the least. I would have thought America would have become more same same thru the decades but the opposite has happened.

You could trade in the problems you have in Mass with a whole new set of problems and be far off from any support system. I don't know if you have family beyond your immediate one in the area. I don't know if your originally from New England. All I know is think things out really well before moving away. I know the snow and cold and cost of living is a killer in Mass, but I'll take most of the culture there in a heart beat. I'll take it over many of the areas I have visited and lived in this country. There most definitely is a reason why many areas are cheaper to live and thats an understatement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston