Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 12:32 PM

40 posts, read 114,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
+1
You haven't seen REAL driving, I live in VA now and it's sad. (driving) , and yes theres being polite and friendly and wasting time. I live in Richmond so being in the city (with tons of other NE transplants) it moves alot quicker than other areas. But leave this area and you want to kill yourself with how slow everything moves.
I think the driving reflects this, sure there are some a-holes out there, but I think as a whole, we don't put up with inattentive drivers, you can go slow, as long as you are doing for a good reason (pot holes, avoiding cyclist, pedestrians, etc.) but if you are slow or wandering because you are not paying attention to a light turning, or missed that there is NOT a no turn on red sign in right only lane, or fiddling with your GPS or cell phone or weaving in and out of traffic, then yeah people get aggressive.

Personally I too like how "fast" we move and for the most part it works. What I find is people with bad driving habits either get weeded out fast (lots of accidents) or adapt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 01:28 AM

158 posts, read 545,638 times
This sentence tells me the OP "gets it".

Quote:
We've had a wonderful (and inexpensive) meal in China Town, the best pizza in Newton, and an Indian feast in Wellesley.
One thing that frustrates me about traveling is the one of the same things that frustrates me about talking to tourists and transplants. I feel like I'm being redundant, but Boston isnt about Boston proper, and there is no "downtown" or areas. There are people who live here for years and stick to their little routines and notions that you have to go "downtown" or a few other places that they think comprises the whole of Boston's social life. Then they ***** about lack of food, or places to party. Umm... have you tried *this* is Newton? Or *that* in Somerville? Or *this* in Roslindale? Or *that* in Brookline. Or *this* in Dorchester. Or *that* in Chinatown? Or *this* in Neponset? ....

One week, she's in Chinatown and feasting in Wellesley and Newton. Gets it.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:49 AM

95 posts, read 201,564 times
I was going to give you some rep points, lukec, but cd says I have to spread it around first. Anywho, to elaborate on your point even a little bit further: how about people who never even travel around New England? I can't understand that at all! It's so close and there's so much to do! Go to Maine and eat some lobster, go to Newport and see the mansions, go to Vermont and hit Burlington or Stowe or...it goes on and on. Really don't get it at all but that's just me....

Old 04-10-2011, 06:04 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassTwingles View Post
I was going to give you some rep points, lukec, but cd says I have to spread it around first. Anywho, to elaborate on your point even a little bit further: how about people who never even travel around New England? I can't understand that at all! It's so close and there's so much to do! Go to Maine and eat some lobster, go to Newport and see the mansions, go to Vermont and hit Burlington or Stowe or...it goes on and on. Really don't get it at all but that's just me....
EXACTLY!! You can wake up in MA, shop in Kittery, ME and have lunch in Portsmouth, NH. Love it! And that's just the north shore. South, there's Cape Cod, Providence and Newport, RI, etc., etc. What a wonderful place to live and explore!

After living in Illinois where you drive and you drive and you drive and you're still looking at the same flat barren terrain or driving the long state of Florida where, same thing, you drive and drive and it's still Florida; living in New England is such refreshing fun!!!

Old 04-10-2011, 08:16 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times
I've been here for about a year now from Arizona. I've made a ton of friends already and don't really find a lot of rude people at all. Are people overly outgoing generally speaking, no. But I'll tell you that it's pretty easy to strike up a conversation with just about anyone, I can't tell you how many times I've asked someone if they know the score of the Sox, C's, B's or Pats and been into a 20 minute conversation about the teams moves lately. Or just ride the T at North Station after a game, chances are you someone who wasn't at the game will ask you the score or if Ray Ray hit 10 3's today or whatever.

I don't find Boston rude at all, I live in Somerville and visit a few local bars on weekends. People have been very open and I know a few regulars there already. Having grown up in the West I'm used to lots of outdoors activities and there is no shortage of that or other people who love it here. Just made some new friends riding bikes yesterday and it's fairly common to run into at least 2-3 people I know on the trails any given sunny weekend day.

You've got beaches, skiing, mountain biking, city life, arts/culture, sports, great food, many downtown areas to explore, a melting pot of people, taxes aren't as bad as people like to complain about, rent can be scary at first but you get used to it, just about everything costs more than where you're from unless you happen to be from NYC, SF or DC, there's more to do than you can possibly imagine, day trips are limitless, and if you like to eat check out Phantom Gourmet because they're constantly highlighting local eats across all of New England that are both fun to visit and taste great.

This is just my opinion but I know most of my friends from Arizona think of the Boston area as nothing but a big city and concrete jungle. I've found nothing but the opposite to be true. I'd say outdoor activities are abundant if you want them and if you're more of a city dweller that's easily an option here too.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:45 AM

188 posts, read 497,142 times
I love Boston! Even more so than NYC..its cleaner and to me the people are my kind of people..straight to the point. I went to college in NC and SC...moving to providence in september! cant wait..to be near boston!

Old 05-11-2011, 11:04 AM

188 posts, read 497,142 times
im glad u posted this. I'm from a military fam. as well....and have also lived all over including europe. and i too love boston! I hate southern heat.... its too hot here in sc, so hot that during the summer all i want to do is stay inside. and the summers here are long and humid!

I prefer snow as well...and i actually like the new england attitude because im not too fond of strangers approaching me with small talk as well.

Love boston..and im a black female and yes i love that city.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:46 PM

25 posts, read 56,992 times
I have wandered back to follow-up on my original post. We ended up staying in Boston for an additional 10 days because we were enjoying ourselves so very much, and to ensure we spent enough time visiting the different neighborhoods.

Familial obligations were the only thing that could pry me away from that town..or else I'd still be there

We are madly in love with this marvelous city and cannot wait to make our move later this summer. I've gotten some great suggestions on things that we really must see, and we have had to create a wait-list for our friends that want to come and visit us...but you and I know they just want to visit Boston and need to a place to stay

The driving comments are interesting. I have driven in nearly every major city in the US and in Europe (mainly Germany where your license is nothing more than a suicide pact with your fellow roadsters!) and spent several of my afternoons and mornings on the Boston roads experiencing rush-hour. Yes, it's a special form of insanity that takes place in Boston...but it wasn't the madness that I thought it would be. Though, I must confess, I don't get rattled and I'm quick to adapt. I believe that the aggressive driving is a point of pride for some Bostonians...and I certainly don't want to be disrespectful of that.

I still hate the potholes and I'm thinking about putting floatation devices on my car in case I get trapped in a pothole during a rainstorm...I don't want to drown!

Counting down the days til our move...my new hometown awaits and I am eager to get to know it better.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:20 AM

68 posts, read 183,244 times
So glad you enjoyed your visit to the Boston area - and I think your original post was spot-on (made me laugh, too!)

You'll have a great time when you do make your move here. Please continue to post - I'll enjoy reading your perspective. Oh, and check out the Boston Chowhound postings for honest takes on local restaurants. So much to experience here it almost makes your brain explode!!!

Old 05-30-2011, 11:24 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
I see that someone said the pizza is not great (but aren't there a lot of Italian immigrants?) , but do you have rye bread there?
I am living in Caifornia now & have not had either one since I've been here.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston