Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:46 PM

29 posts, read 74,349 times

Advertisements

This post is rather intemperate and likely irrational, and I apologize in advance.

I've had it up to my eyes with Boston Luxury Apartments - especially Equity Apartments - West End. My husband and I want to spend our hard earned money renting a premium apartment with city and river views. We have found several and we liked them too. But these apartments hate my dog Victoria, sight unseen.

Landlords have the right to set their rental policy but they have to be fair. They can restrict pets completely, they can restrict the number allowed per apartment. But they cannot restrict to one kind of pet. That is wrong. I am not debating the rights of private home owners who wish to rent out their home. My tirade is directed towards rental corporations like Equity Apartments. They allow cats but not dogs. What could possibly be the reason for this discrimination? My well trained,quiet ladylike miniature poodle (hypoallergenic) is restricted but cats are allowed. These same landlords will rent to college kids and as someone who last week saw some very disgusting college kids occupied apartments, they have some nerve banning dogs.

Way to go, Boston rental companies. You are the shining beacon of apartheid in the the land that used to be the birthplace of liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 09:57 PM

28 posts, read 155,174 times
My guess is that the reason for allowing cats and not dogs is that some dogs bark a lot. I like dogs, but it's an understandable concern in an apartment complex. Cats can certainly do some damage (especially if there's carpet, but that can be covered by security deposits and/or extra fees), but they generally don't upset neighbors by making a lot of noise like some dogs do.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:22 AM

Well.. I just spoke to a leasing consultant at Equity. They dont rent to dog families because dogs poop outside and cats use litterbox. Well - they are clearly ignorant of the reality - dog owners clean up after their dogs - especially those owners who spend up to $ 5000 per month renting the apartments and then also pay extra for the dog tenants. The apartments can set strict rules re clean-up, but banning dog families is still unacceptable. Either ban animals completely or accept them with whatever rules you can think of. You cannot accept one kind of animal and not another.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:36 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
[quote=Essel;18639262. You cannot accept one kind of animal and not another.[/quote]

Except clearly, they can. There are a lot of buildings that restrict the size of an animal (like no dogs over 35lbs) but I'm guessing that perceived injustice wouldn't bother you so much?

Old 04-08-2011, 11:48 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Other than service dogs, they aren't required to accept any kind of dog.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Other than service dogs, they aren't required to accept any kind of dog.

True - but as I mentioned as caveat in my first post, I am just venting. I don't dispute their rights.. but the validity / fairness / equity. Their logic being dogs poop outside while cats do so in litterbox. That is illogical.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:17 PM

220 posts, read 836,151 times
Dogs bark big or small. They sniff people near them. Cats mind its own business.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Except clearly, they can. There are a lot of buildings that restrict the size of an animal (like no dogs over 35lbs) but I'm guessing that perceived injustice wouldn't bother you so much?
Cantabridgienne: It does bother me. That's why I said one kind of animal and not the other. I can only think of one consideration here - and that is number of pets per apartment.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzone View Post
Dogs bark big or small. They sniff people near them. Cats mind its own business.
nzone: I would rather not enter into dogs v/s cats discussion here re which one is better. I like dogs and cats. Perhaps your perception of dogs is colored by your own experience. I am just reiterating: Either allow animals or not at all. If you allow, set stringent rules re clean up requirements, noise, dander, odor - anything. Do not discriminate because dogs don't poop in litterbox.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:58 PM

49 posts, read 158,403 times
I understand your frustration. But I also completely understand why some apartments allow cats only. The place I currently live has had recurrent problems with dog owners, and this is a luxury apt. This place is supposed to limit allowed dogs to small breeds only, yet so many huge dogs have filtered through (probably due to renters who falsely claimed their dogs to be much smaller than what they really are) and the management does not want to come down on these people after they've moved in. I see wet spots in the hallway carpet with urine like every other month, sometimes in the elevator floor. There are poops on the outside grass area all the time. I've overheard residents complaining to the management about their neighbors' dogs being too loud on a few occasions, although we luckily haven't had this problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston