Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 AM

344 posts, read 335,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbarney View Post
Community hospitals having a "relationship" with one of the Biggies means nothing. Even though Faulkner Hospital slapped "Brigham and Women's" above its name, it's still Faulkner Hospital. After a doctor failed to follow-up on a "life-threatening" situation that developed while I was an inpatient, my Brigham and Women's doctor told me that "the standard of care at Faulkner isn't what it should be."

With the full support of the doctor currently working at cleaning up the mess Faulkner left me with a year and a half ago because of sloppy and inconsistent care, I am suing them for malpractice. Don't be deceived by the affiliation myth.
I can't speak for other specialties, but it does with regards to cancer. Doctors frequently collaborate, and the patients themselves often use the community hospitals as a convenient out-patient transfusion center. Their primary onc oftentimes is at the main campus, and the patient receives much of their care at a satellite as to make it easier for them. It helps with clinical trials as well, because many of the very frequent visits can be done at a community center. It effectively expands the access to many (not all) trials throughout much of New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 09:56 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,976,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I'm not sure what you're talking about. People come from all over the world to be treated at Boston hospitals like Brigham and Women's.
No they don't. They go to places like Texas Medical Center (M.D. Anderson, Texas Heart Institute, etc.). When Eddie Van Halen (and an end-stage Roger Ebert) were seeking consultations they weren't headed to Boston.

The hospitals in Eastern MA treat regional New England customers--and judging from incidents like Justina Pelletier and writers like Susanna Kaysen, as well as a subject of Martha Stout, they do a spotty job of it.

The place breathes its own exhaust almost exclusively because it hosts a 350 year old private school.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:30 PM
mm4

One of those provincial boosters was Betsy Lehman, the Boston Globe's own Health columnist, who was killed by an accidental drug-administration overdose at Dana-Farber:

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/03/24/us/big-doses-of-chemotherapy-drug-killed-patient-hurt-2d.html?pagewanted=all

Old 03-24-2016, 10:34 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
No they don't. They go to places like Texas Medical Center (M.D. Anderson, Texas Heart Institute, etc.). When Eddie Van Halen (and an end-stage Roger Ebert) were seeking consultations they weren't headed to Boston.

The hospitals in Eastern MA treat regional New England customers--and judging from incidents like Justina Pelletier and writers like Susanna Kaysen, as well as a subject of Martha Stout, they do a spotty job of it.

The place breathes its own exhaust almost exclusively because it hosts a 350 year old private school.
Your post is ridiculous. They get patients from all over the country, and all over the world. I should know, since I'm in one of them every single day.

You've been breathing a bit too much of your own exhaust..

Old 03-24-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Your post is ridiculous. They get patients from all over the country, and all over the world. I should know, since I'm in one of them every single day.

Seconded. I'm in one too, and while we obviously have more regional folk, we have tons from all over the country and quite a bit from overseas as well.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
One of those provincial boosters was Betsy Lehman, the Boston Globe's own Health columnist, who was killed by an accidental drug-administration overdose at Dana-Farber:

Big Doses of Chemotherapy Drug Killed Patient, Hurt 2d - NYTimes.com
The best you can come up with is a mistake (admittedly tragic) made 20 years ago? Come on.

I didn't know all of these people lived in New England: Adele, Julie Andrews, Steven Tyler, Cher, Joe Buck, Dick Vitale, Lionel Richie, Roger Daltrey, Paul Stanley, Christina Perri, Denyce Graves, Frederica von Stade, Carol Vaness, Livingston Taylor, Anna Vissi, Sam Wyche, Jim O'Brien, Charlie Moore, David Brudnoy, Sam Smith, John Mayer, and Connie Fisher.

That's just one specialty. There's plenty more.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:33 AM
mm4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

The Europeans go to Germany.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:51 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
In defense of the mm4, the UT Anderson Cancer Center is ranked as the best hospital in America for cancer care but for overall performance in a number of specialties, Boston takes first place with MGH (#1) and the Brigham (#6) in the top 15.

We in Boston and New England are lucky to have so many great hospitals and specialty clinics.

That being said, there are a number of great hospitals in the US and people from all over the world visit them. What determines where they go often is based on the advice of the physician referring them. If Dr. Smith in Little Rock has a patient with Y disease and they know and trust Dr. Jones at UCLA Medical Center, she will probably refer the patient there. For instance, when Sen. Kennedy was diagnosed with a brain tumor, he had a consult at MGH but was referred to Duke for the surgery.

Also keep in mind that many hospitals have "sales staff" and facilities all over the world making sure that the top doctors know what their hospital can do for their patients and even have facilities in other countries in order get cash paying patients to the US location. Hospitals love those folks that pay cash and bring an entire entourage to the hospital with them. Some hospitals even offer separate facilities for these patients (like the Phillips House at MGH) that gives patients private, exclusive treatment and recovery areas.

If you want to use celebrity as the measuring stick for the best hospitals, you may want to talk to Adele, Julie Andrews, SoS Kerry, Tim Quinn (Armani CEO) who all came to Boston hospitals for treatment.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:11 PM
mm4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
In defense of the mm4, the UT Anderson Cancer Center is ranked as the best hospital in America for cancer care but for overall performance in a number of specialties, Boston takes first place with MGH (#1) and the Brigham (#6) in the top 15.

We in Boston and New England are lucky to have so many great hospitals and specialty clinics.

That being said, there are a number of great hospitals in the US and people from all over the world visit them. What determines where they go often is based on the advice of the physician referring them. If Dr. Smith in Little Rock has a patient with Y disease and they know and trust Dr. Jones at UCLA Medical Center, she will probably refer the patient there. For instance, when Sen. Kennedy was diagnosed with a brain tumor, he had a consult at MGH but was referred to Duke for the surgery.

Also keep in mind that many hospitals have "sales staff" and facilities all over the world making sure that the top doctors know what their hospital can do for their patients and even have facilities in other countries in order get cash paying patients to the US location. Hospitals love those folks that pay cash and bring an entire entourage to the hospital with them. Some hospitals even offer separate facilities for these patients (like the Phillips House at MGH) that gives patients private, exclusive treatment and recovery areas.

If you want to use celebrity as the measuring stick for the best hospitals, you may want to talk to Adele, Julie Andrews, SoS Kerry, Tim Quinn (Armani CEO) who all came to Boston hospitals for treatment.
The Brigham.... Nobody outside of the Boston Globe's circulation zone has ever heard of "The Brigham."

Old 03-24-2016, 12:13 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,419 times
Quote:
The Brigham.... Nobody outside of the Boston Globe's circulation zone has ever heard of "The Brigham."
lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston