Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:52 AM

49 posts, read 158,355 times

Advertisements

To the OP... your post makes it abundantly clear that you really should be back in Boston. Boston is not for everyone but, for some, it's the only place to be. Sounds like you're one of those people. Life is short and sometimes you have to take that leap of faith. If you really want to make it happen, do the research, have some patience, and you'll find a way (as others have said).

Can you afford $800-900 per month for 1BR apt? If you look around, I'm sure you can find 1BR apts in pretty decent areas along the I-495 loop for that much... places like Acton, Framingham, Foxboro, etc. Some of these places may even be close to Commuter Rail that can take you right into Boston, hence cutting down on your commuting costs (if you were to work in Boston). There are many companies out along both Rt-128 and I-495 loops, as well. Even if $800/month is too steep for you, there'll be other options (eg, rent subsidy program, living a bit farther out).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 08:33 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Well, it seems like it's more affordable in Boston now as opposed to 20 years ago, anyway. The apartment in Back Bay I rented when I lived there is selling as a condo right now for $249,000. It sold in 1991 for $465,000. Unfortunately, home prices and sales going down means rent prices going up......and I think it's gonna be that way for a long time still.....
Condo in Back Bay for 249K?? This seems unheard of...what is the zip code? I'd be interested in checking prices.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:25 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,444,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Condo in Back Bay for 249K?? This seems unheard of...what is the zip code? I'd be interested in checking prices.
It's not really a condo......it's a 300 sq. ft. basement unit shoebox at 396 Beacon St. near Gloucester. I couldn't even get a bed in the place it's so small, but they're listing it as a condo now, which is hilarious. My landlord was a lying crook, so I was only there a couple months before I had to abandon the place due to unlivable conditions. Looks like they remodeled the place and put it on the market for $249K. Take it from me, though, the only thing you'd be paying for with that place is location. You can't even fit a frying pan on the kitchen counters.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:51 PM

41 posts, read 127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
It's not really a condo......it's a 300 sq. ft. basement unit shoebox at 396 Beacon St. near Gloucester. I couldn't even get a bed in the place it's so small, but they're listing it as a condo now, which is hilarious. My landlord was a lying crook, so I was only there a couple months before I had to abandon the place due to unlivable conditions. Looks like they remodeled the place and put it on the market for $249K. Take it from me, though, the only thing you'd be paying for with that place is location. You can't even fit a frying pan on the kitchen counters.
This is an excellent example of what people are talking about when they talk about incredible housing costs. A 300 sq. ft. basement apartment "studio" too small for a bed that is now for sale for $249,000!

Old 08-01-2011, 10:53 PM

18 posts, read 145,064 times
Default are you serious !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelchic View Post
I was searching online for reasons to leave Boston and go back to Houston. I lived in Houston for 2 years and so far I'm in Boston for 7 months. Here is the deal about both cities.

Houston:
Large city with tons of wealth and industries. The arts, entertainment, shopping, and restaurants are incredible. The biggest downside is the illegal Mexicans which causes huge crime (car break in, hit and run, robbery, etc.) Also, the traffic is really bad in Houston. If you work in the city and live in the suburbs such as Katy, it will take you at least 45 minutes to get home. Also, the heat is outrageous in Houston, humid as hell. However, Houstonians are very accepting of gays, lesbians, Asians, Whites, Indians, Hispanics, Caribeans, Blacks, etc. People are friendly, music scene is awesome. You can listen to Hip Hop, Country, Pop, rock, alternative and it's all there. Music in Boston sucks really bad. You can tell by the lack of personality on the radio. Housing cost in houston is amazing. you can buy a 5 bedroom home for $160K and have nice yard, updated amentities and have space. Not in Boston, most people rent for the rest of their lives. The food here is amazing. BBQ, chinese, indians, mexican, tex-mex, american anything.

Boston:
People are very judgeamental based on your education, race, income, and profession. When you are visiting here they may seem friendly but in reality, they are very rude and selfish individuals. The girls here think they are all that and they are butt ass ugly. Girls in Houston are hot and they know it. People in Boston are uptight and the cost of living is ridiculous. it looks beautiful when you visit, but the sick truth is you can't afford it. Most people here are miserable. They save their lives on the weekend. But then they don't do anything on the weekend. Boston is what you would call it a New York City wannabe. They try to act like NYC with the public transportation and food but it is way behind. They want to keep the history of the city and the people here do not like change. Bostonians are very regional and snobby. Also, your neighbors are very rude and they try to act "smart" and educated and love telling you what you can't and can do. The T here sucks ass because it's not efficient and in the winter times, the buses are not reliable. I live in Brookline which they vote that it is the best neighborhood and best school system in the country. The truth is, you can't afford a home here. A 2 family home here across the street from me sold for $1.2 each. For a piece of crap, with no back yards, tons of pot holes in Boston too. The food scene sucks here too. I lived in all the major cities here in the U.S. (NYC, Miami, Boston, Houston, Seattle, LA) and if you are thinking about moving to Boston, forget about it. Taxes are through the roof tops too! So if you want to pay for high cost of living and high taxes and rude people please go there. It is not worth it and I do not recommend it. IF you want to move to a big city in the East Coast. Go to NYC or D.C. It has a lot more to do and a lot more culture, food, entertainment, and 4 seasons.

Hope this helps anyone that is deciding about either cities.
Are you for real man, you are comparing Boston to Houston? First of all that was not even the question the OP asked but anyway I've been living in Boston for the last 3 years and I love the city. Houston on the other hand is a DUMP. Right outside the Houston airport before you drive into the city, the whole area looks like a war zone with dilapidated buildings, strip clubs, pawn shops etc. not to mention the broken roads, which is surprising because Houston doesn't even get any snow. The weather in Houston sucks big time, its hot, humid and you're sweating all the time. You need a shower right after you've showered. The list of why Houston is a dump is endless. The only thing that I agree with you on is that Houston girls are prettier than the ones you find in Boston. I think you should move back to Houston.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:36 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,694 times
Been trying to get back since 1985...just to dang expensive. But I'll continue to keep trying...

Probably just end up being buried there! Good luck everyone...

Old 08-05-2011, 07:15 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,277,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Actually cantabridgienne, you can tell by travelchics post this person can't be a native. As soon as someone indicates Boston wants to be NYC they've lost it. Boston has never wanted to be, and probably never will want to be NYC. NYC is trashy, dirty, glitsy, severely over-populated, and entirely different focused than Boston. Boston is more conservative (meaning, less in-your-face than NYC), more sophisticated, and more sane. Boston is the intellectual capital of the country with more prestigious colleges and universities than any other place in the world. The economy here is so diverse that virtually any economic downturn, or downright depression affects Boston very little. Every year there are over 300K students who come here to go to school, and a large percentage of them want to stay at any cost. Route 128 is our nations technology highway, which is the birthplace of much of what Silicon Valley in CA inherits.
Oh I disagree 1979. I wish we had wiped out all of the metro Boston area from Salem to Plymouth and replaced it with glass and steel skyscrapers, multi-million dollar lofts, a grid pattern, brick tenements, and tens of thousands of units of low income housing and trash strewn lots.
Just think of it, Swampscott, Cohassett, and Hingham all would have been Coney Island or Long Beach type places where the high rise housing projects meet the sea and the beaches are one gigantic ashtray.
Cape Cod could have been another Rockaway Beach.

I think NYC is great but we certainly don't need two of 'em.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 08-05-2011 at 07:51 AM..

Old 08-05-2011, 03:52 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,421,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantabridgienne View Post
so according to your logic, you must be ugly, poor, an ******* and have bad taste in music by virtue of living in the boston area. You must really hate yourself to put yourself down like that!
+1!

Old 10-10-2011, 12:27 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,438,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I just moved out of the city to Townsend, MA and I am so glad I did. It has to be one of the most underrated areas in the state, so dont tell anyone.

I bought a 1400sf, 3bed+den cape on .6 acres for under 230k. I am within an hours drive of employment on the 95 belt, 495 belt, Nashua, and Worcester. Heck if I really wanted to suck it up, it would be possible to commuter rail it to Nort Station from Ayer or Shirley. I can get to Boston for dinner or a sox/bruins game in a hair over an hour. (It took me that long to get to the Garden from where I lived on the B line )

The town abuts Groton which has twice the income and housing prices. I dont have kids but I hear the schools are good and there are a lot of private schools to choose from as well, some of the best in the world.

So yes Boston can be pricey, but dont let the alarmists get you down. Do your homework and you can find affordable places to live.
You just graduated from college, how can you afford a house unless you have inherited Yankee money?

Old 10-25-2011, 08:43 AM

188 posts, read 497,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer71 View Post
I grew up on the north shore. Went to college and grad school in Boston and lived in the city for 15 years. I lived all over the city; Beacon Hill, Back Bay, South End, JP, etc.

Then I moved away. I've since lived in 3 different states; New Jersey (which I liked), then Santa Fe, NM and now Greenville, SC.

I am homesick for Boston beyond belief!!

But...here I am looking at the rents and cost of houses in the Boston area and simply cannot believe it. Boston was always expensive but I can't figure out how the rents have continued to sky rocket these past few years in a down economy. I'm trying to figure out how I might make it back to Boston, my home town, but it doesn't look possible. The salaries don't seem to have increased but the rents sure have. WTH?!

I no longer have family in the area. I can't just move in with someone. What a drag. Moving back to Boston seems insurmountable... ((BIG SIGH))

Has anyone recently moved back? How did you do it and where did you end up living? What is the rent in your neighborhood?

I don't even care about the cold weather. I kind of miss the winter. I miss pizza and the north end and pizzeria regina and the north shore beaches and the various Trustees of Reservations parks and hikes I would go on. I miss the aloof attitude (this chatty southern style in SC gets on my nerves). I miss a cold rainy day. Of course I miss October. I miss the architecture and the multitude of big old institutions. I miss visiting my aunt's old farm house on the coast of maine. I could go on and on. Can anyone put me in perspective or is it normal to miss Boston after you leave? How can I get back??
I moved to sc from nyc. Lived in sc for 5 years and said get me out of here. I just moved to boston in sept. so i understand how u feel. no im not from boston, but certain things here i couldnt give up. like the north end..like u mentioned..food is better here..i dont have to drive my car if i dont want to..stuff like that. I went on craigslist. I didnt know anyone here when i moved here so i am living with strangers...they are starting to feel like a 2nd family to me now. try craigslist. I pay 650 with all included. I too thought cheaper would be better but i was bored out of my mind in sc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston