Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 02:01 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydew View Post
Boston is an extremely expensive city now. It's been overrun by trust fund babies and parent-subsidized yuppies beyond belief, who drive up costs dramatically. These consumer whores up-bid rents, spend mindlessly and create a commercially-driven cookie-cutter culture. Boston is losing its flavor so much I don't even know if I want to go back. Most of the flavor and real people are in the outlying suburbs and cities now.
There are a lot of chain stores in Boston now and that is possibly at the expense of losing unique shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 07:42 PM

238 posts, read 326,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
There are a lot of chain stores in Boston now and that is possibly at the expense of losing unique shops.

Yuppies bring chains. Yuppies are flavorless and replace diverse cities with bland, homogenous, and flavorless societies. What is happening to our big cities is that they are essentially becoming highly populated suburbs.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Yuppies bring chains. Yuppies are flavorless and replace diverse cities with bland, homogenous, and flavorless societies. What is happening to our big cities is that they are essentially becoming highly populated suburbs.
Yeah, I think Tom Menino had a lot to do with the Yuppie transformation. Yuppies seem to adhere to more of a herd mentality which would be easier for the politicians to manage and control.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:33 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,112,557 times
Quote:
Yuppies bring chains. Yuppies are flavorless and replace diverse cities with bland, homogenous, and flavorless societies.
Yes, I've noticed an abundcance of yuppies over at the Olive Garden. The vallet is always so busy now, I have to park my own car.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:22 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Yuppies are mostly conservative libertarians nowadays, sort of tea partyers in training.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:23 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Yuppies are mostly conservative libertarians nowadays, sort of tea partyers in training.
They're all limousine liberals.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
They're all limousine liberals.
Agree.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:42 PM

52 posts, read 137,060 times
I've lived in NYC for the past few years and I am beginning to miss Beantown more and more. It was cleaner, more scenic, and the people were friendlier. Boston dreaming..

Old 11-10-2013, 02:26 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Everything in Boston is available in any other big city, with the exception of the specific history. It doesn't offer much of anything really unique. Even the weather is crappy.

I actually like Boston and would consider moving there if it weren't so expensive ...... it's just not worth the high price of housing.

You can never go back. The young friends, the old watering holes ..... most of them are gone.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:37 PM

93 posts, read 146,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Everything in Boston is available in any other big city, with the exception of the specific history. It doesn't offer much of anything really unique. Even the weather is crappy.

I actually like Boston and would consider moving there if it weren't so expensive ...... it's just not worth the high price of housing.

You can never go back. The young friends, the old watering holes ..... most of them are gone.
i was born and raised in boston but have lived in philadelphia for about 14 years now. boston is still home and i miss it like crazy. i am always looking for jobs there and an affordable place to live should i get a job and be able to move back.

however, i know it would not be the same as it was when i left. i go back 1x or 2x a year to visit family and it isn't the same then either. the family that i love to see on a visit is not going to be the same family when i live there! my friends who i all have on fb, it will be hard to rekindle what was in high school...we are all different people. when i start to get really homesick i force myself to take off the rose colored glasses and see it for what it would really be like.

Buuuutttt...i would move back given half the chance! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston