Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:07 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,479,809 times

Advertisements

I lived in Lower Roxbury for 7 years right across from Slade's Nightclub, Hollywood Liquors, and a traffic light. Slade's historically has been an upscale AA Jazz club, but before I left it was sold and although I guess they still do some jazz, the format was clearly more youth driven. Anyways, liquor stores and bars don't generally attract the urban icons of civilization, so I did see some issues. But all in all, rather modest I'd say. In seven years we suffered no crime. Of course some issues did occur. There were occasional smash and grab outbreaks. Except for the bar, I only witnessed one assault in 7 years. Generally speaking, crime was not an issue in LR. What was an issue was manners.

Whereas crime was not a day to day concern, the ghetto does sport some ill behavior. Boom cars blasting the N and F word all day long. People on the street shooting off their foul mouths. People urinating and defecating in public places. We had to start a war to get the Dominican Baseball league to not utterly trash Carter Playground every weekend. Those people were utter pigs. After the game they'd leave literally thousands of bottles, food containers, cans, plastic utensils everywhere. Happy to say we won that war eventually. Roxbury has still not won the war on trash, but few places in BOS have. Overflowing trash cans is still an issue. It's worse in LR. Dangerous traffic is an issue, and constant never ending noise!

I would say overall Lower Roxbury is a safe neighborhood - worst danger being suburban drivers recklessly racing to work. Worst problems are trash, noise, filth and lewd behavior. It's not unsafe really. But it's not always exactly pleasant either.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:41 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,892,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
In that case, I repeat Boston, MA Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Boston - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here
Are you under the impression that if it's not witnessed with YOUR eyes, then it didn't happen? Liking where your from is one thing, but complete denial is another.
Almost all violent crime is between acquaintances. I feel very comfortable taking buses or walking through places like Blue Hill Ave., Codman Square, etc.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:21 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,021 times
Demographic concerns. Most of the people of Boston have little/nothing in common with the people who live in these areas, and that is reason enough to be terrified.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:41 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,853,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
In that case, I repeat Boston, MA Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Boston - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here
Are you under the impression that if it's not witnessed with YOUR eyes, then it didn't happen? Liking where your from is one thing, but complete denial is another.
Interesting link. I grew up in West Roxbury and it apparently has very little crime...

As for the OP regarding Roxbury, Dot, and Mattapan, the reason people are concerned is that they watch the news at night and the majority of the reports of crime in the Boston area are from those three neighborhoods...

Old 08-04-2011, 11:29 AM

45 posts, read 110,926 times
I've also lived here my whole life (Dorchester - Savin Hill area). I have recently become concerned with the crime because I have a child going to school. Before her, I didn't much care / notice the crime. Dudley St, Blue Hill Ave Rox into Mattapan - all terrible areas and there is a lot of crime there. Yes, most crime is among ppl who know each other but there is always that random bullet.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:48 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Roxbury has still not won the war on trash, but few places in BOS have. Overflowing trash cans is still an issue. It's worse in LR. Dangerous traffic is an issue, and constant never ending noise!

Ever hear how NYC cleaned up in the 1990's? Basically starting in the early 1990's they started up these quasi government boards that would give out fines for various offenses. Littering, double parking, noise complaints, graffiti etc. Police were kept to larger (violent) crimes. Police had no real incentive to go after people littering when there is more to attend to.

But by targeting the smaller parts eventually people got the point and it cleaned up. Because it was cleaner shops were more apt to open up and that brought people back etc.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:24 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,424,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Demographic concerns. Most of the people of Boston have little/nothing in common with the people who live in these areas, and that is reason enough to be terrified.
What having things in common with people have to do with anything. Neighborhoods are either safe places or their not. It's not a White/Black/Rich/Poor thing. Crime is a statistical fact. The OP is totally blind to reality. He claims comparing it to the burbs means nothing while it clearly shows the different between a high crime area and one that's not. Then rationalizes it by comparing it to other high crime violent cities. He is obviously under the impression that just because there are worse places that it means his area isn't bad. Again. He's arguing his blind option over statistical fact. You can't even remotely bring sense to that type of illogical thinking.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:53 AM

188 posts, read 497,512 times
Truth is i grew up in baltimore, and none of those neighborhoods are more dangerous than bmore. trust me. Its funny i heard the same thing stay away from the big 3 (roxbury, dorchester and mattapan) and if your are white definitely stay away....but didnt new kids on the block grow up in dorchester???? they r white. And til this day ive seen jordan and the guys mention dorchester being dangerous. So i think its a little exaggerated somewhat, people still move to these areas

Old 08-11-2011, 10:53 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelife11 View Post
but didnt new kids on the block grow up in dorchester????

actually about half didn't
Joey McIntyre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Needham

Jordan Knight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Worchester

Jonathan Knight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Worchester

To be fair the manager that started them managed New Edition that pretty much did come from the area so it was assumed they all came from the same area.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:48 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
actually about half didn't
Joey McIntyre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Needham

Jordan Knight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Worchester

Jonathan Knight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Worchester

To be fair the manager that started them managed New Edition that pretty much did come from the area so it was assumed they all came from the same area.
Worchester?? wheres that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston