Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:07 AM

132 posts, read 496,674 times

Advertisements

I just went through my 4th hiring process for a person at my job. After the last interview (as the interviewer), my boss asks me how much I liked the person. I went on to discuss their qualification for the position, which should be important since the job pays close to $100/hr. My boss continued on with "But would you have a beer with him?". Then I had to sit through a meeting with my whole group to discuss the candidate's "likeability".

I have no idea why that's important. I just want someone that can get the job done on time. The first couple of times I went through this process I was shocked, but now I'm getting used to it.

So a note to people applying to jobs in the Boston Area - Be "Likeable".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 07:17 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,099,511 times
I think that this happens everywhere.

When I lived in CT, I interviewed for a six-month contract job. I was clearly not qualified -- there were a number of skills that were "required" but I had no experience with some of them.

But... I was offered the position anyway.

When I expressed my surprise, I was told "We loved your personality and thought you'd be the best fit for our team."

I remained surprised because, really, for six months, you'd think they wouldn't care less if they LIKED me, just that I got the job done well. And seeing as I didn't think that I *would* get the job done well, I declined the offer.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:09 AM

350 posts, read 1,092,527 times
Being qualified and able to do the job is part one of what is needed for a candidate. Part 2: Being able to fit in with the people in the team and culture at the organization. This is equally important and probably what people are thinking of when they say "likeability." I've seen many "qualified" candidates crash and burn at a job because they just didn't fit in.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:39 AM

188 posts, read 498,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
I just went through my 4th hiring process for a person at my job. After the last interview (as the interviewer), my boss asks me how much I liked the person. I went on to discuss their qualification for the position, which should be important since the job pays close to $100/hr. My boss continued on with "But would you have a beer with him?". Then I had to sit through a meeting with my whole group to discuss the candidate's "likeability".

I have no idea why that's important. I just want someone that can get the job done on time. The first couple of times I went through this process I was shocked, but now I'm getting used to it.

Ive noticed this when i lived in sc. In the south personality and who u know gets u the job, not ur credentials. At my old job there i watched a guy interview for a postion, his resume was top notch! but they gave the job t someon else because they said he seemed quiet, robotic and that he didnt seem like h had a lot of personality. I asked the same thing, what does that have to do with him doing the job??? They went on to say, well "we couldnt invite him out for drinks or anything after work"...hahahaha weird to me. Youre employing him, not trying to be your best friend, but in the south people look at u in that way, they assume u will hang out with them lol

Old 10-21-2011, 10:37 AM

It could be just my job, but it seems like most promotions and terminations are based upon that person's popularity. I feel like I'm in high school.

Maybe this is like a residual "small town" attitude?

Old 10-21-2011, 11:09 AM

420 posts, read 1,371,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post

When I was unemployed, I made it to the final stage of the interview process, and went to the meet and greet portion... I was denied twice, because I just didnt mesh well with the group.

If you're uncomfortable working with someone, or dont get along with them, it'll be tough to work in a group setting. I think its pretty important, especially if its 100/h, I'm assuming they'll be managing some people

Old 10-21-2011, 11:37 AM

The spot is mostly technical work, but they will need to sit in meetings daily. I agree that they need to have basic social skills, but I don't think it should be emphasized OVER their technical skills.

It has been expressed to me that I'm in a highly political organization ...and that's an understatement! I can see why so many past presidents spent time in Cambridge. There's more politics here than in Capital Hill....

Old 10-23-2011, 01:57 PM

Every workplace has politics .... just the way it is. You have to figure that out and what it takes to find in culturally at a workplace, in addition to the skills need to do the job. If you don't, you'll have a harder time overall...you have to develop your "emotional" intelligence just as equally as your job skills.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:48 PM

It's probably just my job, but that's like living in the worst parts of Mexico City and saying "Oh everyplace has crime. This has nothing to do with the culture of the area.".

Old 10-26-2011, 06:53 PM

Just an observation from many years of working in all kinds of organizations (hospitals - university - corporate world). That's just the way it is ... so you have to figure out how you will manage the "likeability" [aka, "culture", "politics" - whatever you want to call it], or you will simply have an harder time. In my opinion, the job skill part is the easier part of a job - it's the "politics" that takes more refined skills and I find tougher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston