Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 05:22 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpapayas View Post
Because the people in Boston are very hung up on race and don't treat outsiders who come here with respect and dignity, one lady from Boston that I met in NYC even told me that even if I live in Boston for 100 years, I won't be considered a Bostonian since I am not a White, Italian Catholic boy. With such narrow minded and archaic views, who would want to consider this as one of the great cities of the USA.

Maybe it's time for you Bostonians to grow up and accept others who aren't White or mainstream as your equals and not look down upon them.
Oh please! My husband is a transplant from Ohio, Dutch of all things, and he's very much a Bostonian. Maybe you need to up your confidence level and get out there and embrace the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 05:35 PM

474 posts, read 495,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Oh please! My husband is a transplant from Ohio, Dutch of all things, and he's very much a Bostonian. Maybe you need to up your confidence level and get out there and embrace the city.
Dutch is still White, that's acceptable in Boston, if you are non White ethnic minority no one bats an eyelid towards you. I did try to embrace the city and went out speed dating the last week, guess what I got ZERO dates inspite of the fact that I am a highly educated PhD student who makes six figures, while a lot of others there who don't even have a job landed some dates, no matter how much you deny it I am going to say it's purely based on my race since people in Boston are hung up on a man's race.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:36 PM

51 posts, read 164,972 times
Quote:
Boston is just a redneck town where each and every person that's a minority is only a stereotype.
Wait, why would the minorities in the area be stereotypes? Does living in a primarily white location someone give them less dynamic personalities?

Old 03-07-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki0417 View Post
Wait, why would the minorities in the area be stereotypes? Does living in a primarily white location someone give them less dynamic personalities?
Read my speed dating experience about which I posted earlier and then decide for yourself.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:04 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times
Quote:
Boston is just a redneck town where each and every person that's a minority is only a stereotype.
Looks to me like you're the one doing all the stereotyping. But hey, feel free to keep up the condescending attitude. I'm sure you'll be a big hit with the ladies at speed dating next week.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Read my speed dating experience about which I posted earlier and then decide for yourself.
That still doesn't make the minorities in the area stereotypes, unless you mean other people see minorities as a stereotype. If that's the case, I don't know how generalizing all Bostonians is any better than the stereotyping you claim they're guilty of.

Also, people are attracted to others for their personality, not just their money. If all you did during the few minutes you get during speed dating was brag about your PhD and salary, that's probably going to come across as egotistical to some and turned them off. If the men with no jobs could land dates, that should tell you right there that women like men for more than just their money. A nice suit and car may do wonders for a guy, but if he opens his mouth and sounds like a douchebag, it really doesn't matter. If he's lucky, he might land a quick lay, but no girl (or guy for that matter) what's to stay with someone thinks their resume is a good substitute for their character.

Don't immediately blame a bad dating experience on racism.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Looks to me like you're the one doing all the stereotyping. But hey, feel free to keep up the condescending attitude. I'm sure you'll be a big hit with the ladies at speed dating next week.
Who's going out for speed dating again, not me. I don't want to pay $35 only to be put up with a bunch of shallow superficial women.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
That still doesn't make the minorities in the area stereotypes, unless you mean other people see minorities as a stereotype. If that's the case, I don't know how generalizing all Bostonians is any better than the stereotyping you claim they're guilty of.

Also, people are attracted to others for their personality, not just their money. If all you did during the few minutes you get during speed dating was brag about your PhD and salary, that's probably going to come across as egotistical to some and turned them off. If the men with no jobs could land dates, that should tell you right there that women like men for more than just their money. A nice suit and car may do wonders for a guy, but if he opens his mouth and sounds like a douchebag, it really doesn't matter. If he's lucky, he might land a quick lay, but no girl (or guy for that matter) what's to stay with someone thinks their resume is a good substitute for their character.

Don't immediately blame a bad dating experience on racism.
On the contrary, I actually spoke nothing about what I did or do for a living, leave alone the salary which I never mention to anyone unless it's a close friend of mine as I believe it's very personal. I briefly mentioned my work when they asked me about it but didn't brag about it or any such thing, however I did mention that I had a doctorate in the field I was working in.

Based on whatever I had spoke, I think there are only 2 things that would have made them reject me, 1) The age, I am still in my mid 20's while I felt some of the women there were in their mid 30s or atleast the early 30s and so they might have felt that I wouldn't be their best match 2) My race/background: I had a feeling that most of them didn't want to date colored men and one of them who was Russian openly told me that she was looking for an AMERICAN(implying that I couldn't be the kind of American she was looking for since I am an immigrant just the way she is).

I love the way assume that I spoke or rather bragged about my education and job/salary while none of that ever happened, that's one of the reasons I was honestly very surprised to find that I had no matches. But then I guess they were as judgmental as you are in making assumptions which is of course an offshoot of being a racist.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
On the contrary, I actually spoke nothing about what I did or do for a living, leave alone the salary which I never mention to anyone unless it's a close friend of mine as I believe it's very personal. I briefly mentioned my work when they asked me about it but didn't brag about it or any such thing, however I did mention that I had a doctorate in the field I was working in.

Based on whatever I had spoke, I think there are only 2 things that would have made them reject me, 1) The age, I am still in my mid 20's while I felt some of the women there were in their mid 30s or atleast the early 30s and so they might have felt that I wouldn't be their best match 2) My race/background: I had a feeling that most of them didn't want to date colored men and one of them who was Russian openly told me that she was looking for an AMERICAN(implying that I couldn't be the kind of American she was looking for since I am an immigrant just the way she is).

I love the way assume that I spoke or rather bragged about my education and job/salary while none of that ever happened, that's one of the reasons I was honestly very surprised to find that I had no matches. But then I guess they were as judgmental as you are in making assumptions which is of course an offshoot of being a racist.
I presumed you only spoke about your education and salary because you made a point of mentioning them in your last comment. A direct quote from your post:

Quote:
I did try to embrace the city and went out speed dating the last week, guess what I got ZERO dates inspite of the fact that I am a highly educated PhD student who makes six figures...
If you didn't mention your salary during the speed dating, then why bring it up in the comment? You make it sound like these women rejected you despite you being a successful colored man; so, of course, I'm going to presume as much based on your description. Well, if you didn't mention your success, then they obviously weren't interested in you for another reason, or they were just more interested in other men. That still doesn't mean it was racially motivated.

And really, to make such colossal assumptions about residents in a city then point a figure at me for being judgmental is fantastically hypocritical. I happen to be a black woman; I just don't pull the race card whenever I have a bad day. You've basically lumped all 600,000+ people in Boston with the few bad women you ran into. You're making assumptions as well, which according to you, is an offshoot of being a racist.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I presumed you only spoke about your education and salary because you made a point of mentioning them in your last comment. A direct quote from your post:

If you didn't mention your salary during the speed dating, then why bring it up in the comment? You make it sound like these women rejected you despite you being a successful colored man; so, of course, I'm going to presume as much based on your description. Well, if you didn't mention your success, then they obviously weren't interested in you for another reason, or they were just more interested in other men. That still doesn't mean it was racially motivated.

And really, to make such colossal assumptions about residents in a city then point a figure at me for being judgmental is fantastically hypocritical. I happen to be a black woman; I just don't pull the race card whenever I have a bad day. You've basically lumped all 600,000+ people in Boston with the few bad women you ran into. You're making assumptions as well, which according to you, is an offshoot of being a racist.
Well they did ask me what I did for a living and I described the kind of job I do, they would have very well guessed how successful I was since they asked me where I went to school at and so on. Coming to your other point about me generalizing people, yeah I guess it kinda makes me judgmental to categorize people the way I did too, I have given up on finding a woman anyway after this episode, I don't think I would ever find anyone since almost all the women in this nation are shallow, materialistic and judgmental. Thanks for the advise though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston