Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 06:25 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,637 times

Advertisements

Why is the beach in Provincetown poorly maintained? I took like two or three photos of the ugly beach in front of the main touristy area. I like the beaches around South Boston, wide and CLEAN? I took so many photos around Carson beach, even the smaller beaches near the area of Castle Island were nicely maintained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 08:01 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
So commercial areas with a pedestrian street mall set up (Church St in Burlington VT, State St in Madison WI, etc) feel like ghettos!!??

Someone hasn't seen a ghetto.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:24 PM

203 posts, read 108,452 times
COL is not good for what you get really, traffic, overcrowded, competitive, weather is pretty bad all winter.

If you're rich Boston is a great place i guess?

Old 08-08-2018, 11:49 AM

12,856 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
It is not so much about being able to afford living there, just the setup of it all. No sidewalks, people walk on the street, one business after another and yes it felt ghettoish to me. Reminds me of those touristy areas in Asia where zoning is ignored. I'm not impressed! I love Boston, Plymouth, Hingham......even South Boston and Dorchester.

Love the small town feel of Plymouth, beautiful town. I've uploaded more photos on my thread. Have a look, the link is on my post above. Oh and I spent $50 for lunch sitting on a sidewalk on a wooden bench, definitely overpriced Provincetown.
I actually see where you're coming from. Provincetown is expensive, and Commercial St. can be busy. The issue is that you're absolutely using the wrong word. It's not "ghettoish" in any sense of the word. If you think it is, you have absolutely zero clue what a ghetto is. But yeah, you're not the only person who doesn't enjoy the crowd on Commercial St. or the prices.

Quote:
Why is the beach in Provincetown poorly maintained? I took like two or three photos of the ugly beach in front of the main touristy area. I like the beaches around South Boston, wide and CLEAN? I took so many photos around Carson beach, even the smaller beaches near the area of Castle Island were nicely maintained.
I'm having a hard time finding where to even begin with this...

1) What's dirty about Provincetown's beach? It's a typical beach on a busy harbor. It's certainly not the best beach in Provincetown by a long shot, but it's fine. I'd take it over Carson Beach any day.

2) You went to the wrong beach in Provincetown. The beach draws there are Race Point and Herring Cove. They're easy to get to, clean, quiet, and stunning. The beach along the harbor is nice to have because it's super convenient. But if you really want to go to the beach, you need to go to Race Point or Herring Cove.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:47 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
Quote:
No sidewalks, people walk on the street, one business after another.
Believe it or not, in Massachusetts we consider streets with adjacent, non-empty storefronts where people can walk on the street to be very nice and desirable!

Pedestrians were around before cars after all, so the roads rightly belong to them!

Old 08-08-2018, 01:56 PM

12,856 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Believe it or not, in Massachusetts we consider streets with adjacent, non-empty storefronts where people can walk on the street very nice and desirable!

Pedestrians were around before cars after all, so the roads rightly belong to them!
Hahaha exactly. And what's more is that it's a decades old planning concept called Woonerf, or Shared Street. It's popular all over Europe, and is growing in popularity here. Not one of the places I've seen or heard of this in practice is a "Ghetto" (in fact, they're usually busy, popular areas) and P-Town's Commercial St. is a good example of an organic one. DC is building them quite a bit in new developments, and the NYTimes wrote about them a few years ago (there's a very topical example in this article).

Old 08-11-2018, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Believe it or not, in Massachusetts we consider streets with adjacent, non-empty storefronts where people can walk on the street to be very nice and desirable!

There were hardly any sidewalks to begin with and people walking side by side with moving vehicles. That reminds me of touristy areas in Asia. I did not like it! If the town wants to pedestrianized it for lack of sidewalks, fine, but I don't like the current setup.

There are way too many areas in Massachussetts I've visited that I like and would love to visit again and Provincetown is not on the list. End of discussion.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:05 AM

Oh I've posted more photos from my visit to MA including some from Newport, Rhode Island.

Off the Vegas Strip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston