Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2017, 09:00 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,929,661 times

Advertisements

San Jose has excellent cultural offerings and is a hub for that. Transportation is 2nd best in the country, according to Brooking Inst. Central SJ is very walkable with a great downtown and neighborhoods. San Jose is the full package!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 04:10 AM

690 posts, read 1,008,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I'd have to say that Baltimore is the forgotten city of the urban Northeast. It's often not even mentioned at all in discussing "must-see" places from Wash DC to Boston..
Judging by the people who quoted your post, what you say is justified.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:34 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about. Just calling you out because you are 100% incorrect on a factual matter.
Yeah, that's what I thought you would say. Nuthin'.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:51 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
San Jose has excellent cultural offerings and is a hub for that. Transportation is 2nd best in the country, according to Brooking Inst. Central SJ is very walkable with a great downtown and neighborhoods. San Jose is the full package!

Dude. Stop. Look at that poll. It has Honolulu #1. Salt Lake City #3 and Tucson #4. It's a joke.

NY, Chicago, DC, Boston, etc weren't even listed. San Jose has cruddy public transit. It's not a cultural hub, and its not even really a city. San Francisco is a city. Los Angeles is a city.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:58 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,117,733 times
Never realized San Jose had homers.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Never realized San Jose had homers.

There is a guy in the VT forum that jocks for Springfield, VT (which is a dump, despite being in VT), there are all types...

Old 05-25-2017, 11:02 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,053,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
I'm not going to argue whether or not SJ is a great place in general, because that's a discussion for another thread. However:

San Jose = Sprawl =\= City
San Francisco = Density = City
Boston = Density = City

Old 05-25-2017, 11:12 AM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I'm not going to argue whether or not SJ is a great place in general, because that's a discussion for another thread. However:

San Jose = Sprawl =\= City
San Francisco = Density = City
Boston = Density = City
Population density (or lack thereof) is not what makes or breaks a city. Jacksonville, FL has a relatively low density, but it is definitely a city through and through (and much of it IS sprawl). Because San Jose does not resemble Boston, does not mean it isn't a city. Now I've never been there myself (or San Francisco), so I don't know...

Old 05-25-2017, 11:33 AM

I've been to SJ many times, not too long ago, when I worked in fundraising in SF (there are afterall some deep pockets in the area), it is nothing to write home about, and certainly not a hub.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:32 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,053,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Population density (or lack thereof) is not what makes or breaks a city. Jacksonville, FL has a relatively low density, but it is definitely a city through and through (and much of it IS sprawl). Because San Jose does not resemble Boston, does not mean it isn't a city. Now I've never been there myself (or San Francisco), so I don't know...
Thing is, most people don't really think about Jacksonville, unless they're discussing the Jaguars or are familiar with the southeast. One mentions, "Major City in FL," and Miami is what would come to mind first for most people.

I know not all cities automatically fit all the density, etc. rules. (Granted "city" is just a form of municipal government with no set size.) Nevertheless, people generally tend to associate walkability, and useful public transport alternative for cars, high rises, brick/stone walk-ups, etc., as an idyllic "City" setting—which us why some places get glossed over—whether rightfully or not.

Besides I was trying to simplify what most people consider in a traditional city for another poster.

Last edited by LexWest; 05-25-2017 at 03:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston