Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,231 times

Advertisements

So , I was am moving to Boston and was looking in to this place in Allston right by Packards Corner. I have heard a lot of bad things about the green line. When I look at good maps its hows about 30 minute commute to downtown to Boylston station. Can someone let me know if this is reasonable time or does its usually take about an hour during rush hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 01:47 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,060 times
The Green Line's speed will depends on a couple of things. First, which branch you live off of. There are 4 total branches and each have differing situations. And second, more obvious, how far down the line you live.

The B is easily the slowest branch out of the 4. Packard's Corner is a good area to live as you will not be too far down the line. I think it is safe to assume a 30 minute door to door commute from that area. If you were going to live down near the Washington Street stop, it would be a longer ride.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:01 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,807 times
Packards corner isnt bad but I wish they'd remove a couple stops like BLANFORD, and ST MARYS or something they dont that many stops along BU - they should also have more EXPRESS B trains that bypass BU when school is in session say from Babcock street express to Kenmore. I am going to write the T on this. and suggest this - so the trains aren't always jammed. the BC and BU students use it as a shuttle into and out of the city and along campus. - (esp BU) and Northeastern Kids.

Keep in mind that if you're going past Park Street. the trains on the green line sometimes stop at GOVERNMENT CENTER - and you have to get off and wait for a Lechemere or North Station train depending on where you're headed on the green line

SOmeitmes it'll go to NORTH STATION a NORTH STATION train and you can getoff there or connect to the Orange line or wait for a Lechemere green line -

if you get a Lechemere train say at Park Street you're golden though it'll probably be jammed with people
esp at rush hour

You've got to learn the system

For example a lot of people spend time waiting for the different letters

but you canjust take ANY LINE right to COPLEY
or PARK STREET

Park street you can get off and change to any other line (the letters are on the poles) (there's an underground tunnel to Downtown crossing and the orange line too) and connection to Red line at Pahhhk street.

the letters will be on the metal poles in the platform

So say you get a C, E train from North Station you could take the E to COPLEY get off wait for a B,C,D, - take a C or D to Kenmore wait for a B there

or you could take the E to Park, get off wait for a B and get on there

You could take E to park get off wait for a C,D take it to Kenmore get off and wait for a B

there's different ways to do it

If you got a C you could take it direct Kenmore wait for the B at Kenmore or change at Park Street.

You get theidea though now.

Just remember the E branches off before at COPLEY so you'd have to get off at Copley and wait for a B
or a C,D, and take the C,D< to Kenmore and wait for the B there
or just wait for the B from Copley after getting off the E

its pretty simple once you think about it and learn the ways around the system

On the red line remember that there's two outbound branches going toward QUINCY/BRAINTREE

there's the ASHMONT Line and BRAINTREE

so they will announce ASHMONT or BRAINTREE but you can get on either up to the point where the linesd branch off past South Station.

If you're going the other way toward say Harvard Square from the city you want an ALEWIFE trian

The tgrains usually go by the last stop of the line) (on the outbound train)

ORANGE line would be Forest hills train toward forest hills away from Downtown Crossing - and Oak Grove toward the north side of town away from Downtown Crossing/State Street

The Green line is the most confusing of the system

Once you master it you'll be golden and save time

Also keep in mind a lot of the stops are close together in the center of town so y ou sometimes dont need to wait 20 minutes changing various lines when you can just say get out at Government center and walk to the waterfront in 10 minutes.

I can walk from North Station to Marriott/Long Wharf in about 10-15 min

Hope this helps

Old 08-05-2012, 06:55 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,663 times
B-line is the worst of the green.

There is a stop literally every block..and these are very small blocks. Interesting because most people that use the B line are under 30 (or well under 30) and they should be able to walk an extra block.

I'm being frank with you. It is possibly the most packed like sardines during rush hour of the green lines and in the evenings it filled with drunk 18-21 year old college students. It doesn't sound bad but they are loud as **** and you don't want to sit next to someone who is about to lose their lunch or is crying deeply lol.

I honestly can't describe the horror that is the B-line without sounding like an old, dried up fart..so I won't (I'm 23)

I live across the street from the B-line, but if I'm leaving Allston-Brighton I will go out of my way and walk to the C or D lines.

If you will be on the Brookline side of Packards corner you may be walking distance to the C line as well.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamworksSKG View Post
Packards corner isnt bad but I wish they'd remove a couple stops like BLANFORD, and ST MARYS or something they dont that many stops along BU - they should also have more EXPRESS B trains that bypass BU when school is in session say from Babcock street express to Kenmore. I am going to write the T on this. and suggest this - so the trains aren't always jammed. the BC and BU students use it as a shuttle into and out of the city and along campus. - (esp BU) and Northeastern Kids.

Keep in mind that if you're going past Park Street. the trains on the green line sometimes stop at GOVERNMENT CENTER - and you have to get off and wait for a Lechemere or North Station train depending on where you're headed on the green line

SOmeitmes it'll go to NORTH STATION a NORTH STATION train and you can getoff there or connect to the Orange line or wait for a Lechemere green line -

if you get a Lechemere train say at Park Street you're golden though it'll probably be jammed with people
esp at rush hour

You've got to learn the system

For example a lot of people spend time waiting for the different letters

but you canjust take ANY LINE right to COPLEY
or PARK STREET

Park street you can get off and change to any other line (the letters are on the poles) (there's an underground tunnel to Downtown crossing and the orange line too) and connection to Red line at Pahhhk street.

the letters will be on the metal poles in the platform

So say you get a C, E train from North Station you could take the E to COPLEY get off wait for a B,C,D, - take a C or D to Kenmore wait for a B there

or you could take the E to Park, get off wait for a B and get on there

You could take E to park get off wait for a C,D take it to Kenmore get off and wait for a B

there's different ways to do it

If you got a C you could take it direct Kenmore wait for the B at Kenmore or change at Park Street.

You get theidea though now.

Just remember the E branches off before at COPLEY so you'd have to get off at Copley and wait for a B
or a C,D, and take the C,D< to Kenmore and wait for the B there
or just wait for the B from Copley after getting off the E

its pretty simple once you think about it and learn the ways around the system

On the red line remember that there's two outbound branches going toward QUINCY/BRAINTREE

there's the ASHMONT Line and BRAINTREE

so they will announce ASHMONT or BRAINTREE but you can get on either up to the point where the linesd branch off past South Station.

If you're going the other way toward say Harvard Square from the city you want an ALEWIFE trian

The tgrains usually go by the last stop of the line) (on the outbound train)

ORANGE line would be Forest hills train toward forest hills away from Downtown Crossing - and Oak Grove toward the north side of town away from Downtown Crossing/State Street

The Green line is the most confusing of the system

Once you master it you'll be golden and save time

Also keep in mind a lot of the stops are close together in the center of town so y ou sometimes dont need to wait 20 minutes changing various lines when you can just say get out at Government center and walk to the waterfront in 10 minutes.

I can walk from North Station to Marriott/Long Wharf in about 10-15 min

Hope this helps

That is an epic idea. I would start using the B again instead of walking to the C if they did this.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:00 PM

in regards to time:

most of my friends who take the T to work spend anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. One friend that has two jobs spends maybe 2 hours on the T everyday.

If it's 15 minutes or less on the T, you may get their just as quickly walking.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:56 AM

613 posts, read 2,307,030 times
Like people have said, the B line is the worst of the Green. But, Packards Corner isn't too far down. I wouldn't want to live much beyond that though. 30 min on the T to Boylston sounds right. Some days may take an extra 5 or so minutes, but I can't imagine the actual ride taking an hour unless there's a breakdown or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston