Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:07 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,530 times

Advertisements

have you ever thought about Philadelphia?

In my opinion, the best art being created on the east coast is coming out of Philly (all the factors exist, namely very cheap rent are making this possible).

I'm familiar with the scene in Boston, I'd say within the city its alright but there are some interesting small communities up there.

I think LA is a great place for art, I have a lot of good connects out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 08:33 AM

181 posts, read 505,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
have you ever thought about Philadelphia?

In my opinion, the best art being created on the east coast is coming out of Philly (all the factors exist, namely very cheap rent are making this possible).

I'm familiar with the scene in Boston, I'd say within the city its alright but there are some interesting small communities up there.

I think LA is a great place for art, I have a lot of good connects out there.
Yes, I have. But all I can think of when I think of Philly is "It's Always Sunny" which makes it seem way too much like Chicago...lots of heavy drinking, people a little on the scuzzy side (no offense to anyone). And yeah, its just a dumb show. Could be different in real life.

I personally have not been impressed at all with the art scene in LA, (maybe I just don't have the connections) but I find it to be incredibly fake and pretentious, really just an extension of the movie industry...lots of wannabes trying to be stars. Seems like no one does the art just for art's sake.

I still think my exhibiting days are probably over. It's not much of an interest. So I don't feel compelled to participate too much in any art scene. But I do want to feel motivated enough to do art for myself. For me a lot of that comes from my environment, whether or not it feels inspiring.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:09 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncalifornian girl View Post
Just read this article in the Phoenix:

Gone Begging ... Really? Do Boston ladies all wear 1950's sweater twinsets and strings of pearls or what?
A big "whatevah" to the comment about sweater twinsets (I guess you forgot the poodle skirts...) If you're serious in your question, there is a great deal of truth to the article - and it has bugged me since I moved here. But, as a counterpoint, the City of Boston now sponsors neighborhood art events in each neighborhood each year. Though I live in Roxbury (which has its own very good event), I'm a big proponent of the Jamaica Plain one. It happens every fall and is very well attended. A lot of local artists sell their work at that event - which is also extremely well organized. Lots of other neighborhoods have their own events, and each are timed to have their own weekend.

I've lived here for over two decades, and things have definitely improved for the arts in that time. There's a lot more "edge" to Boston (sweater sets nothwithstanding, LOL) than there used to be. But it still isn't New York (nor will it ever be).

Ironically, the article seems to omit the obvious ... that is, Boston is profoundly expensive for those without big bucks, and is getting worse by the day. Today's Globe had this article about rents: Boston Rents Spiral Even Higher. That tells you pretty much everything you need to know. I hope this helps. Boston is certainly not a cultural desert, by any means, but - sadly - that Phoenix article is absolutely on-target in a lot of ways.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:40 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
I've lived here for over two decades, and things have definitely improved for the arts in that time. There's a lot more "edge" to Boston (sweater sets nothwithstanding, LOL) than there used to be. But it still isn't New York (nor will it ever be).
Of course, we'll never be NYC, we are a fraction of the geographic size and human population. We have so many other strengths, that we don't have the resources or the space to be more supportive of the arts.

Now Providence is smaller than Boston, but because of its history as an industrial town, it's weak in terms of having many corporate jobs there and there's no longer any active factories. And that translates ino there being a lot of cheap artists space available. I just read about a cool place that teaches metalworking skills. It's called The Steel Yard and it used to be a working steel plant.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:45 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Of course, we'll never be NYC, we are a fraction of the geographic size and human population. We have so many other strengths, that we don't have the resources or the space to be more supportive of the arts.
I'm sorry that you feel this way; it's nonsense. It's this kind of attitude that informs the Phoenix article in spades. Congrats! You're a "died in the wool" Bostonian.

Uncalifornian Girl: Boston is a great place to be, but you just need to be realistic about what you'll face when you get here. There are a lot of artistic people, but you're facing an uphill battle.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:44 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,519 times
Providence? Talk about a city with a bleak future. From my experience, the so called 'art scene' is pretty much non-existent. I know there's RISDI but, let's just say if you're tired of what L.A. has to offer, Providence will at best only offer a iny-tiny-insy-minsy fraction of that. Don't get me wrong, Providence has its beautiful spots as a city itself but -- just consider yourself warned. I know the city has been trying hard to attract artists, stuff about income on art sold within the city not being taxed and property -- something along those lines but ... Portland, OR seems like a bustling city with people always on the go compared to Providence.

But go check it out for yourself, you can take the train from Boston to Providence, it's less than an hour train tride.

Also, avoid looking at Boston's City Hall for too long -- one's creative senses might be dulled at the sheer sight.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:37 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
I'm sorry that you feel this way; it's nonsense. It's this kind of attitude that informs the Phoenix article in spades. Congrats! You're a "died in the wool" Bostonian.
I'm not insulting Boston, but the fact is that Boston is a much smaller city and all the real estate here is prime. And it's only going to get worse. Aspiring artists can't compete with the pocketbooks of regular working adults. If you are a student, then there's good support at the art schools. But once an art student graduates, then they are basically out on their own.

And yes, Providence and Fall River have bleak futures in regards to regular decent jobs, but as long as the economic climate is weak in RI, at least artists are able to rent cheap spaces to develop their art in. And when the artwork is finished, they can show it to nearby cities like Boston and NYC, all within easy driving distance.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:23 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Yeah... I can't think of a time when a bad economic situation has ever been a hindrance to the creative crowd. In fact it's far more common to hear people complaining that the artists are being pushed out by soaring rents and increasing demand for their space. Bad economies equal lower rents and more opportunity for artists. That's part of the reason that central Boston doesn't have a thriving art community. It's too freakin' expensive. If anything, you could argue that bad economies and cheap rents are often responsible for cultivating art scenes in cities. You could go one step further and say that the same art scenes are responsible (at least partially) for stimulating gentrification in many of those "bad" neighborhoods.

Providence doesn't have a "bleak" future. It has a tough present. Providence will never be irrelevant. Not with Brown, RISD, Providence College, URI, Johnson and Wales, etc. all located in town. Not with all of the hospitals and government offices there. And not with an active seaport and active airport. Providence is on the busiest train line in the country(Amtrak Bos-Wash corridor) and only 40 or so miles from downtown Boston. If anything, it's going to continue to be an attractive Boston area alternative for businesses and workers who find themselves priced out of Boston. Even now, Providence is far better off than it was in the 70s and 80s.

Fall River? Not so much. Not for artists anyway. I don't know what will fix Fall River's economy. There's nothing there (although if you do have a job, there are some nice neighborhoods and it's close to other areas). New Bedford down the road has the UMass Dartmouth College of Art, an art museum, dozens of public galleries, a few theaters and theater groups, good local music and an overall very active art scene that really flies under the radar since most MA residents write it off in the same category as Holyoke or Lawrence. But don't take my word for it, The Atlantic recently ranked New Bedford the 7th Most Artistic City in the U.S.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:39 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncalifornian girl View Post
Glad to hear it about the employment rate! I would like to get back into my personal art again, that would be a really positive thing for me. My art is actually quite traditional, at least in terms of medium. Lots of etchings, very antique-looking, and pen and ink drawing, and sometimes watercolor. But...I don't exactly choose traditional or "safe" subject matter. Granted I am no longer a twenty year old out for shock value...but odds are there would still be a heavy erotic side to my work, were I to take it up again. It's not as crass as it sounds, though. It's actually very spiritual/mystical...if that makes sense. I got frustrated when I exhibited before (in LA, and Chicago, and Detroit) because the higher meaning was completely lost on people...all they saw were naughty body parts. I guess I had that coming. But really, it's nothing you wouldn't see in an old world erotic print. I wonder if Boston audiences would get it? Interesting to think about. It's very academic/classical, so maybe they would.

Thanks for the tip about JP.
You talk about doing your art, but I get the impression you are not an artist, just a person who enjoys creating art and wants to be around similar people. "Artists" tend to hang out with other artists and gravitate towards locations that have high concentrations of artists so they can simply hang out with their own kind, moan about how hard life is, talk about who's hot and who's not [in the "art" world], etc. Essentially, a bunch of hipsters.

But, if you end up in the Boston area, then Jamaica Plain would be the obvious choice.

Art does not necessarily need to be shown in galleries with a big opening reception. There are plenty of alternatives if you want people to view your art and interact with you. Minneapolis is very good with exhibiting local artists and it is not uncommon for someone to rent out an empty [retail] space for a few months to hold an exhibition. MPLS should be on your list of possible relocations.

So, I agree with the person who mentioned Minneapolis. I've spent ten years of my life in that city and it sounds like the closest place to what you are looking for. A possible second choice would be Baltimore. I would say Baltimore would be your first choice, but it might be too "drunk and scuzzy" for your tastes. Come to think of it, probably MPLS and Boston, too.

Minneapolis and Baltimore would be better choices for you, too, because of your comment about being a corporate sell-out who is really an artist at heart. That mentality won't really fly in Boston, outside of JP and Allston, and you already mentioned that you do not want to be around so many college students. You realize there are about 400,000 of them in and around Boston, right?

As for history and "antique look"...Boston definitely has the history, but it is a fairly modern city and to be honest most of it looks like LA anyways. Baltimore offers a way better "vibe" in this regard.

As for being conservative...politically, I am not sure. Most people tend to avoid conversations regarding politics unless one would consider what is going on with the Red Sox as "political". Most people just seem to want to be left alone to do their own thing have a tendency to carry a live and let live attitude. But, as far as tastes go, I think Boston is a bit Conservative in that sense.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:54 PM

181 posts, read 505,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
You talk about doing your art, but I get the impression you are not an artist, just a person who enjoys creating art and wants to be around similar people. "Artists" tend to hang out with other artists and gravitate towards locations that have high concentrations of artists so they can simply hang out with their own kind, moan about how hard life is, talk about who's hot and who's not [in the "art" world], etc. Essentially, a bunch of hipsters.
Yeah, I'm too old to be a hipster

Quote:
A possible second choice would be Baltimore. I would say Baltimore would be your first choice, but it might be too "drunk and scuzzy" for your tastes. Come to think of it, probably MPLS and Boston, too.
What?! I get the impression that Boston people are a little more "together" than the rest of the country...more professional, anyway. I may check out Baltimore. Not sure if I want to move back to the Midwest, so MPLS might be off my list.

Quote:
Minneapolis and Baltimore would be better choices for you, too, because of your comment about being a corporate sell-out who is really an artist at heart. That mentality won't really fly in Boston, outside of JP and Allston, and you already mentioned that you do not want to be around so many college students. You realize there are about 400,000 of them in and around Boston, right?
Why, aren't there other corporate worker bees in Boston who secretly hate their cubicles? Or is it the kind of place where you can't let anyone know you have dreams on the side? Yeah...the student thing could be problematic. But I'm facing that everywhere, really. 40 is a weird age to be still single. Not sure where I'd find others in my situation. Plus if I want to go into teaching, maybe being around colleges is not so bad.

Quote:
But, as far as tastes go, I think Boston is a bit Conservative in that sense.
This is a tough one. Partly I am thinking, ok-so maybe Boston's not the place for me. I'm definitely not conservative in my taste. But this is such a hard thing to define. Will I even get a good sense of it when I go there, or will it be obvious whether or not these are "my kind of people."? The thing about choosing places that might seem more exciting is...I'm a single woman living alone (and a fragile looking white lady at that!), so I kind of have to consider what place would be safe, first. I can't really get too edgy in my choice, even if it might fit my artistic side better. Even JP might be a stretch, I hear it can be sketchy in parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston