Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 08:52 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
SF is a lot more fun than Boston.

I would agree with that. The mild climate makes it perfect for year round outdoor activities and it is a fantastic walking city. Heck, I spent many days just walking GG park being entertained (and getting contact highs) and meandering through the city.

I didn't like the people so much though.

I don't get the shopping complaints. How much shopping and how much clothes do people need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 10:10 AM

152 posts, read 386,613 times
The T is staying open until 3 am on weekends in Boston starting in May 2014 i believe
which is so much better than the last train leaving at 12:30-12:45

Old 12-28-2013, 06:43 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

I don't get the shopping complaints. How much shopping and how much clothes do people need?
I've always wondered this too. But apparently it's huge. One of my least favorite things of our culture.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:54 AM

37 posts, read 60,125 times
Shopping is a GIGANTIC component of tourism. The largest outlet mall in Orlando -- which has a very, very sizable parking lot -- kept getting so crowded people started parking on the sidewalk so they had to build a huge parking garage. If the Wrentham outlets had been built on the outskirts of Boston it would have almost instantly changed the dynamic of the city's tourism, I can basically guarantee it. That may have been why it was built in Wrentham, Boston didn't want it (not to mention real estate prices/availability) but NEVER, EVER underestimate the American (and Int'l) appetite for shopping-as-leisure. NEVER.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by table12 View Post
Shopping is a GIGANTIC component of tourism. The largest outlet mall in Orlando -- which has a very, very sizable parking lot -- kept getting so crowded people started parking on the sidewalk so they had to build a huge parking garage. If the Wrentham outlets had been built on the outskirts of Boston it would have almost instantly changed the dynamic of the city's tourism, I can basically guarantee it. That may have been why it was built in Wrentham, Boston didn't want it (not to mention real estate prices/availability) but NEVER, EVER underestimate the American (and Int'l) appetite for shopping-as-leisure. NEVER.
I've met quite a few internationals in Boston who are OBSESSED with Wrentham. It might be even bigger with internationals. It's scary, wasteful, and I don't understand it.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:41 AM

37 posts, read 60,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I've met quite a few internationals in Boston who are OBSESSED with Wrentham. It might be even bigger with internationals. It's scary, wasteful, and I don't understand it.
It's usually because of the exchange rate. I routinely see international tourists in Orlando buy so much that they run out of ways to get it home and end up purchasing lots of extra luggage to carry everything back home in. What may seem obsessed, at least in the case of int'l visitors, can ironically be a form of prudence because sometimes the exchange rate is just so phenomenal that they save money on a bunch of stuff that would cost more at home -- the difference in price might even pay for the vacation itself.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
It's usually because of the exchange rate. I routinely see international tourists in Orlando buy so much that they run out of ways to get it home and end up purchasing lots of extra luggage to carry everything back home in. What may seem obsessed, at least in the case of int'l visitors, can ironically be a form of prudence because sometimes the exchange rate is just so phenomenal that they save money on a bunch of stuff that would cost more at home -- the difference in price might even pay for the vacation itself.
... then they get in their Mercedes and drive home.

Most of the international students here are loaded.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:21 PM

9,080 posts, read 6,305,573 times
Quote:
Quote:
table12 is correct. I would only add to the discussion the VAT taxes that internationals are subjected to in their homelands. The VATs increase the prices of goods dramatically. Internationals are smart to conduct their shopping in the US whenever feasible.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:25 PM

9,080 posts, read 6,305,573 times
Quote:
... then they get in their Mercedes and drive home.

Most of the international students here are loaded.
And they are loaded because they come from fiscally prudent families.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
And they are loaded because they come from fiscally prudent families.
They are loaded because Chinese parents only have 1 child and give them everything they ask for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston