Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 10:57 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Never really had any terrible experiences at Logan. I mean, it's an airport, it's not my idea of a good time. But I've seen way worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 11:03 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't mean just getting there, getting out, but the airport functionality in general. I hate flying into Midway or OHare, they're not as a bad as Atlanta, but I'll go to MKE to avoid them.
O'Hare is hyper-organized, and easy to navigate, in spite of its great size. Logan is a one-car garage, by comparison.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:05 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
O'Hare is hyper-organized, and easy to navigate, in spite of its great size. Logan is a one-car garage, by comparison.
Guess I'm just unlucky. Always had problems to there, from there, or through there.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:09 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Nobody is happy when they are at Logan Airport, that is one of the worst airports.
That has not been my experience at all, in fact it is one of the better airports in the country imo.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:44 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
O'Hare has the benefit of a lot more land than Logan does and also it is a hub for two major airlines which means the city of Chicago and both of those airlines have made serious investments in the airport over the years. Logan does not have that benefit. However, the complete rebuild and redesign of Terminal A has been fantastic - that's a great terminal. United's new concourse over in B is also fantastic. The only major gripe I have with Logan is how long it takes to get your checked bags. Other than that it's a pretty decent airport - it's not the nicest facility in the US but it's also not the worst.

I'd put Philadelphia, Midway and LaGuardia clearly below Logan.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:20 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,398,737 times
My home is Atlanta, GA. I'll be boarding a plane tomorrow at Logan to return home after spending one week here, and then proceed on to North Carolina. This my FOURTH consecutive summer in Boston, and boring is not even close to what I'd describe my visits here to be thus far. I'm no native, but at this point the North End has satisfied my Italian cravings just fine. And that includes the yummy Regina's Pizzeria! I'm always planning what I can do next summer that I didn't have time to do this summer.

And if you're gonna compare cities, at least compare apples to apples; Shanghai? Really? All cities have wonderful things to offer, as well as things that may be lacking. And since you mentioned NYC, I actually prefer Boston over New York. I've been to NYC a few times, and I always end up feeling overwhelmed; like all those skyscrapers are closing in on me as I struggle to catch a decent glimpse of the actual sky. I appreciate the fact that Boston is a major, but smaller city because it feels more manageable; despite it's size, it well respected, and has as much to offer as an larger American city.

1) Are you making a blanket statement that the Italian food in Boston is crappy based on your experiences in the South End alone? I would hope not.

2) Karaoke offerings is hardly a measure of whether a city is boring.

3) Not enough shopping options is too subjective; move on.

4) If partying beyond 2am is what you need to make your life more exciting, then travel to a city where you can do that every now and then.

More things being open 24hrs is the only valid issue I could see out of everything you've said. If you've been living here most of your life, and have come to realize you're losing interest, then maybe you should consider a move to somewhere you'll be more fulfilled. If moving is not an option, then weigh the pros and cons of living in Boston. If the pros outweigh the cons, then be grateful for the pros, and figure out a way to offset what the cons are to you. For instance, NYC is a little over 3 hours away; plan a trip there once a month, and you can party till the sun comes up if that's what you need. Be sure and load up on the Italian, Filipino, and Indonesian food so you can bring it back and freeze it; that way you can eat off of it for weeks whenever you have a craving. You feel like the shopping in Boston sucks? Consider shopping online; it's a great big world of wonder out there.

Just remember, you becoming bored, and Boston being a boring city aren't mutually exclusive.

Last edited by No2Monsanto; 08-30-2016 at 10:56 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 11:39 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Atlanta, Laguardia, JFK, Reagan, LAX; all worse airports than Logan, I think. Logan used to be a dive, now it's probably the most dramatically improved airport in the country looking back at the last 15 years. It still has it's flaws though...

Old 08-31-2016, 05:57 AM

155 posts, read 136,197 times
I completely agree. Born here. Been most of my life, although I had the luck to live in San Diego and Block Island. I stay because I have a good job and a great network, but I am bored to tears.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:00 AM

My new favorite place to explore is the South Coast: New Bedford, Fairhaven, etc. TONS to do down there and the people are 1000x more friendly and less full of themselves. Check it out!

Old 08-31-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I don't like Seattle. I think Seattle is so isolated and the lack of public transportation sucks. I have never been to Boston but I would love to go. I don't care much about the night life but I do care about walkability and public transopration. Does Boston have that? I also care about history and I know Boston do not lack history. To me that would be amazing to live in a city like Boston. Right now i live in Chicago and I love it here.
Yes, walkability is something Boston has going for it. If you like to walk, you can walk practically everywhere here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston