Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 06:17 AM

70 posts, read 185,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
Find a smiley tin which the hands a little lower, like around the face and follow that example.
I'll spell it out for you this time. I said huh because you sentence looked to have been written by an 8 year old.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
There nothing about black people I need to learn you know. Nothing, not one single solitary thing. lol. This ignorance in this post in proof of that.
Ignorance? Really? Try go back to school, we have a number good ones here in Boston and a take a few AA courses.

And everyone Black, White, whatever, can and should continue to learn about all races.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:18 PM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsclassof00 View Post
Ignorance? Really? Try go back to school, we have a number good ones here in Boston and a take a few AA courses.

And everyone Black, White, whatever, can and should continue to learn about all races.
Actually, I think that many people are tired about having to keep hearing about the black slave experience in America. Most people would prefer to focus on the present and to work on having a better future for all.

And I disagree about your suggestion that we should focus on learning about all races. Because that means to me that YOU are saying that every race has different characteristics. And if they do, (according to you) what are these differences?

After all, if we want to banish racial prejudices, shouldn't we stop focusing on the differences between the races? Are we not all human beings, just with different outside physical features of skin and hair colour? And aren't all homo sapiens basically the same except for differing cultures, languages and religions?

I really think that there's a huge difference between categorizing people only by race rather than studying them by nationality, culture, geographic region, spirituality and time period.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:35 PM

643 posts, read 1,037,642 times
Focusing on the present doesn't mean ignoring the racial issues that permeate every aspect of American (and global) society. If you think the atrocities committed against people of color ended with slavery in this country, you might want to consult a history book.

And its definitely important to include other aspects of people (as you mention, gender, religion, etc) because of intersectionality.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:30 AM

Well said dravogadro. Well said indeed.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:37 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Another interesting development during last nights Primaries. A Haitian-American woman (Linda Dorcena-Forry) won the 1st Suffolk district seat during the Democratic Primary. This has been traditionally the "Southie Seat" occupied by Irish-American men. I thought this was worth mentioning since there have been comments about Boston being a Irish dominated political system and that is not as much the case as in the past.

This article goes more into detail: Linda Dorcena Forry’s apparent victory in ‘Southie seat’ primary ushers in new era - Opinion - The Boston Globe

Also worth noting is Gabriel Gomez the son of Colombian immigrants won the Republican Primary and will face off against Ed Markey for the Senate seat vacated by John Kerry and currently held by Mo Cowan.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:25 PM

318 posts, read 505,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Actually, I think that many people are tired about having to keep hearing about the black slave experience in America. Most people would prefer to focus on the present and to work on having a better future for all.

And I disagree about your suggestion that we should focus on learning about all races. Because that means to me that YOU are saying that every race has different characteristics. And if they do, (according to you) what are these differences?

After all, if we want to banish racial prejudices, shouldn't we stop focusing on the differences between the races? Are we not all human beings, just with different outside physical features of skin and hair colour? And aren't all homo sapiens basically the same except for differing cultures, languages and religions?

I really think that there's a huge difference between categorizing people only by race rather than studying them by nationality, culture, geographic region, spirituality and time period.

omgosh so much ignorance from one quote i can't even stand it! i dont even know where to begin..

Old 05-02-2013, 11:28 AM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSyddy View Post
omgosh so much ignorance from one quote i can't even stand it! i dont even know where to begin..
And African Americans are much too egocentric about their place in mankind's history. What happened to them as slaves is no different to many other times in history when one culture was (at the time) superior to other ones. Examine the conquests of the Ancient Romans as they expanded their empire or what the Spaniards did in the Americas. One studies the history in order to not repeat it, but ultimately we all need to move on. And as an Asian, there is no need for me to be expert on black history. And the only people who get all sincerely emotional over MLK day are some black Americans, but definitely not whites, Hispanics or Asians... and not any blacks who are not Americans.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:31 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,080,722 times
Quote:

I don't think people are categorizing others only by race. In my opinion, race is closely associated with ethnicity or nationality - and that's what people are talking about here. Anyways, they definitely have differences. They have different histories, cultures, and experiences. Some differences are more subtle than others. But understanding a groups past can help you understand their current perspectives and attitudes. At that point it can be much easier to build a strong community together. Surely, you've heard the saying, "walk a mile in someone else's shoes".

Quote:
And African Americans are much too egocentric about their place in mankind's history. What happened to them as slaves is no different to many other times in history when one culture was (at the time) superior to other ones. Examine the conquests of the Ancient Romans as they expanded their empire or what the Spaniards did in the Americas. One studies the history in order to not repeat it, but ultimately we all need to move on. And as an Asian, there is no need for me to be expert on black history. And the only people who get all sincerely emotional over MLK day are some black Americans, but definitely not whites, Hispanics or Asians... and not any blacks who are not Americans.
Yea there were slaves in past civilizations, but none in such a developed 1st world country and none as recent as slavery in the US. The direct effects of slavery, indentured servitude, and then legalized segregation can still be seen in this country. You don't need to be an expert on it, but you can't just gloss over that part of our history.

Really? No one other than some black people can truly appreciate MLK and the civil rights movement?

If it doesn't directly involve or benefit you, you just couldn't be bothered. Is that it?

Old 05-02-2013, 01:22 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Yea there were slaves in past civilizations, but none in such a developed 1st world country and none as recent as slavery in the US. The direct effects of slavery, indentured servitude, and then legalized segregation can still be seen in this country. You don't need to be an expert on it, but you can't just gloss over that part of our history.

Really? No one other than some black people can truly appreciate MLK and the civil rights movement?

If it doesn't directly involve or benefit you, you just couldn't be bothered. Is that it?
Developed first world country? This label did not exist at the time. We are talking the 1600's till mid 1800's. But then, Africa was in the Stone Age, and remains that way today throughout most of the continent. And yes, there were slaves in developed countries at the time, and Africa to this day has slaves. The effects you speak of is more associated with this thing we are suppose to embrace called "diversity". Some cultures are more advanced than others, and those that aren't are often stuck struggling, unable to assimilate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston